Materials to put inside your headphone housing.
May 17, 2015 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MrLazyAnt

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Sorry if this is a repeat of something, I couldn't find a thread to deal with this issue specifically.

What materials do y'all DIYers use as acoustic material inside your custom made headphones, or just for modding? Why this material? What do you use it for (Taming/increasing the bass/mids/treble)?

May 17, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #2 of 5
And for me specifically, is there a general guideline as to which material to use in a almost full sized custom can with flimsy plastic housing and where to put it?

I transplanted the drivers from a no-where-near-hifi HP Skype headphone, to a pair of "industrial earmuffs" I got for about US$3.50 as a dry run for transplanting my SoundMAGIC HP100 drivers to a Howard Leight L0 due to the headband plastic breaking. I would like to experiment with a few different materials in the cheapo set before moving on to the real deal and could use a few pointers.

Thanks in advance

Will post pics of the "Howard Leight HP100's by Lazy Ant" progress and finished product.

I wish I could A/B them with some stick HP100's to see how they compare, but I have only the one pair and live in Israel, which is a outhouse toilet as far as audiophilia goes.

May 17, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #3 of 5
The basics:
Anti cup bass resonance caused by thin wall (plastic) cup with inner wall/parts damping: wall crack repair/felt/fabric tape. Some ppl use dynamat.
Anti inner soundwave reflections (echoing feedback distortion) against inner smooth hardsurfaced wall/parts with same above damping (carpetting): wall crack repair/felt/fabric tape.
Anti inner standing wave (hollow sound/bass resonance) with damping filling: BAF wadding/foam/cotton wool.

Example:
c93b4a5d_IMG_20150411_102413.jpeg

3bd62550_IMG_20150411_145943.jpeg

http://www.head-fi.org/t/128397/the-sony-mdr-sa5000-appreciation-thread/289

May 17, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 5
Useless, what differs that from the existing wall same hardness, only thicker layer and decrease the inner volume will lessen lower bass.
It must be some soft material/rubber/fibre/carpet with rough anti reflective surface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back