Matching AMP/DAC for Focal Clear
Oct 21, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #16 of 21
I've had the multi-bit and it is good for the price-point so would recommend that. Having said that - you will quickly find the itch to upgrade.

I was going to say something similar. could you stretch the budget to a Lyr3? Sometimes Schiit has refurbished/B-stock for sale at substantially reduced prices, and I think the Lyr might be a more evenly matched playmate for those fine ’phones.

Oct 21, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #17 of 21
Thanks for all the advice. Of course I can consider Lyr, however since I'm not that deep in the AMP/DAC thing, I'm afraid that for me the difference to let's say an Asagard is hardly even audible. For example, I once put a friends Oppo HA-2 between my phone and a pair of DT770, and didn't really hear a difference.

I know I need an AMP to drive a 55 Ohm headphone so I can hear it loud and clear, but I wonder if it's reasonable to spent TOO much for something I might end up having trouble to even notice, know what I mean?

About Topping, I kinda got interested in them as well. Although, someone mentioned the trouble is that they only offer 1 year warranty while its 5 years with Schiit...

Oct 21, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #18 of 21
Thanks for the explanation, learned something new :). However, I saw some charts where some of the better AMP's have output impedances of 0,1-0,9 (like, the lower, the better?)...but there's hardly any headphone with Ohm being x8 or x10 of 0,x right? What part did I get wrong?
The newer design the headphone amplifier, the lower the output impedance.
The the far post, receivers and profession studios, used headphone jacks with a high output impedance (200-Ohm or 400-Ohm, etc).
So I guess (back then) high end headphone would be like 600-Ohms (?).
(now 250-Ohm to 300-Ohm is what a would call common today, for high end)
But now with lots of battery powered portable device that play music, headphones (or IEMs) with low impedance (8-Ohm to 50-Ohm?) drives a good share of the headphone (& IEM) market.
So there is more market demand (lately) for desktop and portable headphone amplifiers, with a very low output impedance.
Anyway.
A 600-Ohm headphone will work just fine with a headphone amplifier of even >1-Ohm output impedance, the headphone amplifier just needs to provide enough voltage, to drive 600-Ohms.
(helpful drives them well)
Some IEMs are as low as 8-Ohms, headphones as low as 18-Ohms.

Oct 23, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #20 of 21
RME ADI-2 DAC... and you're done. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back