Master volume level with soundcard
Jan 8, 2008 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Robgo

100+ Head-Fier
Does it matter very much with modern cards? (Auzen prelude for example) I know with some older cards they would distort the sound when put to full volume. Call me crazy, but I think my auzen might do the same so I lowered it to 80% and think it sounds better about that level. Not sure if this is necessary or not. I somewhat theorize that the amp is driving the headphones a bit better since I have to raise the volume on the amp a bit higher when I lower the master volume level with the soundcard. Curious to hear what others have experienced.

Had a few glasses of wine so apologies if I'm a bit incoherent (listening to my new darkvoice 332 and senn 650's and obviously feel very good about my purchase
biggrin.gif
)

Jan 8, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 7
I typically set my levels between 50 and 75%. I rarely go above 75% as clipping usually occurs. I have an X-Meridian. I'm sure different sound cards will differ, so that's not a rule for all sound cards.

Most importantly let your ear decide (which it looks like you've already done).

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 7
Wow it really works, I just set my volumes to around 74% and muted all the sounds I dont use and it seems to have made a difference. It may well be placebo but either way I'm enjoying my music more! Cheers for tips guys!

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 7
Hmm I will try again.

I tested it at 30% to see what it would be like to have the amp boost the signal more and it sounded terrible so I figured 100% would be best. Now I'm not so sure (maybe thats the reason I thought 80% sounded good before)

I'll test again with different material.

Jan 9, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 7
Well, it's really not a great idea to have one level too low, either, since you will probably compensate for that somewhere else and cause clipping.

I typically set ALL levels at 50% to start with. This means windows volume, the wave/CD/etc. faders for your sound card, and you're speakers, if they have an amp. I then take a listen and adjust accordingly. If only a little be more amplitude is needed, I'll just use the speaker volume to adjust. If a lot more or less is needed I'll bring up one or two of the sound card levels a tad.

Jan 9, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #7 of 7
I use Linux (Amarok->xine->Super.Pro DAC). With that setup the OS volume sliders don't come into play, but The volume slider in Amarok needs to be below 50% to avoid clipping badly. I leave mine at 25% most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back