Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone
Oct 20, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #616 of 624
yeah i felt that too... 65, aside from what little hype it garnered, looked too plain and uninspired.
the mw65 also sounded awful, incredibly low volume. I don't know what they were thinking with that product tbh, a huge step back for M&D.

That said, I wonder when the next headphone in their lineup will launch

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #617 of 624
I just convert my MH40 in balanced headphones, i always felt like they would benefit of more power than any phone/laptop could give. An now i could use my ES100/Qudelix 5K in balanced, its just giving them a little more power to make them sound better with my phone
You need basic soldering skils but it can be done

the cable i bought was for the MEZE 99 in 2.5mm
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/4000943529415.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.87a363c0ecUwIv

And follow this guide:
http://xperiarx.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-108.html
Does anyone still have the guide for rewiring the MH40 for balanced? The blog entry is no longer available and I'd like to try my hand at it since I just picked up a backup pair cheap off eBay.

Jan 18, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #619 of 624
Balanced designs only make sense if the headphone is extremely hard to drive and you wish to use it with a more powerful, balanced source. The idea that there is audible noise in single ended mode for short wire runs is actually false. So if anybody is going through the effort of making this balanced thinking they will be improving the sound by eliminating audible noise, not a chance of that happening.

Lets just exaggerate things completely and pretend that there is as much as 1% extra noise with a single ended design. What is it you do with a headphone? You listen to music don't you? So if you are listening to music, that means 99% of the signal is going to be music. Do you think you can possibly hear 1% noise through the 99% music? And keep in mind, whatever difference in noise that exists comparing single ended to balanced in such very, very short wire runs is well less than 1%. How on earth do people think they can hear such small differences?

Balanced runs of cable make a difference over very long distances, like in recording studios or stadiums. These really short wire lengths we encounter in personal audio just don't suffer from any audible effects single ended.

If people like to tinker and enjoy the challenge of doing things simply to do them, that is a perfectly good reason to do so. I think if I had the time and the equipment I would probably very much enjoy such things as well. I only post this as the false notion of the advantage of balanced versus single ended topology in personal audio is so darn persistent. Just because you can measure a tiny difference does not at all mean you can hear it. Those are very different things.

Jan 19, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #620 of 624
whoops, may be i could help you there, its really a no brainer, in short, you have to get rid of the actual internal cables, and then solder each jack to its speaker.
if you want i could open again mine
Thanks for the offer, but no need to open them up just yet. I'm going to see if I could figure it out. Based on your explanation, it doesn't sound very complicated.

Jan 19, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #621 of 624
@Sonic Defender, I'm doing it mostly because I already have multiple dual 3.5mm to 4.4mm cables I use with my desktop amp, Sony TA-ZH1ES. The 4.4 jack on the amp is obviously more powerful, but it also sounds noticeably better than the 3.5. It's also a nice trial run as I've never modified headphones before. Might as well experiment on one I scored so cheaply should I ever wish to modify something more expensive in the future.

Jan 19, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #622 of 624
@Sonic Defender, I'm doing it mostly because I already have multiple dual 3.5mm to 4.4mm cables I use with my desktop amp, Sony TA-ZH1ES. The 4.4 jack on the amp is obviously more powerful, but it also sounds noticeably better than the 3.5. It's also a nice trial run as I've never modified headphones before. Might as well experiment on one I scored so cheaply should I ever wish to modify something more expensive in the future.
Completely understand and agree. If it works you certainly won't make the sound worse and you'll develop a new skill as well. Tinkering is very rewarding and I know why people get so attracted to the idea. I am sure that it will go well and hopefully you'll post some pictures of your project. Cheers.

Jan 21, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #623 of 624
Balanced designs only make sense if the headphone is extremely hard to drive and you wish to use it with a more powerful, balanced source. The idea that there is audible noise in single ended mode for short wire runs is actually false. So if anybody is going through the effort of making this balanced thinking they will be improving the sound by eliminating audible noise, not a chance of that happening.

Lets just exaggerate things completely and pretend that there is as much as 1% extra noise with a single ended design. What is it you do with a headphone? You listen to music don't you? So if you are listening to music, that means 99% of the signal is going to be music. Do you think you can possibly hear 1% noise through the 99% music? And keep in mind, whatever difference in noise that exists comparing single ended to balanced in such very, very short wire runs is well less than 1%. How on earth do people think they can hear such small differences?

Balanced runs of cable make a difference over very long distances, like in recording studios or stadiums. These really short wire lengths we encounter in personal audio just don't suffer from any audible effects single ended.

If people like to tinker and enjoy the challenge of doing things simply to do them, that is a perfectly good reason to do so. I think if I had the time and the equipment I would probably very much enjoy such things as well. I only post this as the false notion of the advantage of balanced versus single ended topology in personal audio is so darn persistent. Just because you can measure a tiny difference does not at all mean you can hear it. Those are very different things.
Well said sir well said indeed

Jan 21, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #624 of 624

Users who are viewing this thread

Back