Master Clock Talk
Jan 19, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #736 of 3,346
The guys has never done a 50-ohm, am i right? So unless he is the greatest genius out there, yes. Buy the Harmonic tech instead.
Let me ask him.

He is offering the silver cable with furutech connectors for $230

Jan 19, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #737 of 3,346
Here is an update on the Harmonic Tecbnology 50-ohm cable.

It has passed the Gustard c2 after 5 days. It is more refined, it offers better resolution, depth and imaging. It is significantly better. To such an extent that the C2 is now assigned to the ddc for good. Music is just more relaxed and lively with the HT. The c2 sounds like a cheaper cable in comparison.

After 3 days, both cable were equal. 2 more days and the HT took te lead. Doing an a/b is not so simple as the HT does not like to be moved. At first, the HT was horrible. It is not surprising from an upocc cable.

I got the HT from AudïoAccesories in HK. I had ordered 0.5m but they send 1.0m instead. I did not mind. Best 50-ohm i have tried so far and under 200usd.
Could you put a link to get the HT 50ohm cable?

Jan 19, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #738 of 3,346
Jan 19, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #739 of 3,346
My impression of the function of fuses like the SR Purple is that they reduce noise. So powering a clock via a Purple isn't going to change the waveform, but it is going to change the noise floor quite substantially, and this does affect the DAC conversion.

I have used Purples in my Rendu, U18 and X26 Pro and the sound quality improvement is quite significant.
And I've got 3 of them as well(power amp, U18 and X26P). But I'll wait for some posts from those who have gone the upgraded fuse route for their impressions of an OCK 1 or 2 with a fuse more costly than the stock fuse which is a not a basic bottom of the barrel fuse before I go in that direction. So far I've not seen a post anywhere on any forum from someone who has gone with an aftermarket fuse in either OCK.

Jan 19, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #740 of 3,346
Unexpected findings...

I now prefer the LMR-400 cable (€15) to the Gustard C2 (€180) for my Gustard A2 DAC (50 Ohm). Perhaps in time this will change as both are rather new.

For fun I tried all my BNC and RCA digital cables to connect the SDTrans384 (my network-free benchmark SD card player) to the DI20HE. This goes from BNC to RCA so I need an adapter at one of the ends (depending on the cable type). This cable is obviously supposed to be 75 Ohm, however the C2 sounds best, even though it is 50 Ohm.

I guess I will give up looking for explanations as they keep marching behind the facts...

By the way the SDTrans384 still rules. It beats streaming via the network every time.

Jan 19, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #741 of 3,346
Jan 19, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #744 of 3,346
Shipping will be charged later on if as in my case (the transaction at checkout included no shipping cost). I had to send an extra 48$ via paypal.
Wow... didn't expect that. I did notice there were no taxes and shipping costs with the purchase. Thanks for the heads up.

Jan 20, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #746 of 3,346
Interesting preliminary observations from using a new grounding box attached via crocodile clip to the unused square wave BNC output of my OCK-1 (I use sine as prefer it with R26 & C2).

There were pronounced and immediate audible differences:
- with ground box attached - tighter bass, more precise soundstaging, a slightly cooler sound, touch less grain in upper midrange and treble. Greater purity of ringing high notes. Overall a clear shift towards a more neutral and resolving sound. Initial impression was a little lean with my Focals.
- removing the ground box returned the more warm and full-bodied sound I was used to - a generous if less controlled bass, a warmer and smoother midrange with what felt like more body to vocals, but less separation and precision of focus of soundstage elements.

The character of the differences has some similarity to what I recall of others’ (incl @JaMo ) descriptions of the differences between the OCK-1 & 2.

There are elements to both that I like, but I can see myself quickly acclimatising to the grounded sound and finding it hard to give up its greater precision.

I tried connecting a second box to the same BNC output but it had an opposite effect, muddying the sound vs ungrounded Ock-1.

Will do further experimentation - use the ground box on the other, currently unused sine output; use a BNC-RCA adaptor so I can connect one of the RCA terminated boxes instead I’m case the connection is better. I also tried ground boxes with other devices with varying success - prelim impressions are router + Mac Mini were positive as cleaned up the sound, dramatically for my stock router, R26 & Athena negative as flattened dynamics (connected to RCA out/in).

Makes me wonder how the OCK-1 would respond to a proper grounding box and/or other power improvements.

Edit - update 30/1 - with the OCK-1 I concluded I don't like the effect of connecting one of these little ground tubes to it, it's not an improvement vs the sound of the native OCK-1 after it has been left on for 24 hours with stabilised oscillators. Sound is leaner and edgier with these ground tubes attached.

Look what just arrived. The 18AWG version. Just dipping my toes in these waters, but as they're affordable enough I thought in for a penny, in for a pound - get enough to connect them simultaneously to everything.

Realise there's a dedicated thread for grounding etc, but thought a few of you guys might appreciate this.

20230120_124535.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #747 of 3,346
Interesting preliminary observations from using a new grounding box attached via crocodile clip to the unused square wave BNC output of my OCK-1 (I use sine as prefer it with R26 & C2).

- with ground box attached - tighter bass, more precise soundstaging, a slightly cooler sound, touch less grain in upper midrange and treble. Greater purity of ringing high notes. Overall a clear shift towards a more neutral and resolving sound. Initial impression was a little lean with my Focals.
- removing the ground box returned the more warm and full-bodied sound I was used to - a generous if less controlled bass, a warmer and smoother midrange with what felt like more body to vocals, but less separation and precision of focus of soundstage elements.

The character of the differences has some similarity to what I recall of others’ (incl @JaMo ) descriptions of the differences between the OCK-1 & 2.

There are elements to both that I like, but I can see myself quickly acclimatising to the grounded sound and finding it hard to give up its greater precision.

I tried connecting a second box to the same BNC output but it had an opposite effect, muddying the sound vs ungrounded Ock-1.

Will do further experimentation - use the ground box on the other, currently unused sine output; use a BNC-RCA adaptor so I can connect one of the RCA terminated boxes instead I’m case the connection is better. I also tried ground boxes with other devices with varying success - prelim impressions are router + Mac Mini were positive as cleaned up the sound, dramatically for my stock router, R26 & Athena negative as flattened dynamics (connected to RCA out/in).

Makes me wonder how the OCK-1 would respond to a proper grounding box and/or other power improvements.
With my setup I have both warm and the seperations, its like I can tap into the individual layers and listen to them solely. Warm at the same time. Im using the OCK2. Everything is firm and stable. Its like a moving "picture"

Jan 20, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #748 of 3,346
With my setup I have both warm and the seperations, its like I can tap into the individual layers and listen to them solely. Warm at the same time. Im using the OCK2. Everything is firm and stable. Its like a moving "picture"
Good stuff. Glad you’re enjoying the OCK-2. OCK-2 (or SW-10) is the natural upgrade path but then I am a little -120db/1hz curious… 😉

This was a $25 tweak that had a totally unexpected change of greater magnitude than the difference/gap between the C2 and LMR400 cables, which by the way is still there if narrowed a little after leaving the LMR400 connected overnight.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #749 of 3,346

It is neutral you apply grounding to?

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #750 of 3,346
It neutral you apply grounding to?
This is how I attached it Fred, the only way I could practically attach it with my new grounding connector suite. I’m a grounding novice so just experimenting so welcome any direction here as to principles of theoretically optimal connection.

06E1F1C7-6D84-42E9-90AE-E70CAFBD8F94.jpeg

I see the (not as yet used with the OCK-1) RCA adaptor ground box/tube is connected only to the RCA centre pin so with a BNC/RCA adaptor it would connect to the centre pin of the OCK-1’s BNC output.

BA3244F2-D814-44DF-82E2-5F5D20EA5B30.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back