Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Apr 6, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #2,056 of 2,613
can someone tell me if the THX 789 and monoprice 887 have a lot of differences? the buttons and lay-out seem the seem, except for minor aethetics.
do they sound different? is one better than the other? or are they clones

thank you

The Monoprice 887 is "technically" better hence the higher number in the name. But I doubt anyone could tell the difference in a blind listening test. Either one would be an excellent choice.

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #2,057 of 2,613
can someone tell me if the THX 789 and monoprice 887 have a lot of differences? the buttons and lay-out seem the seem, except for minor aethetics.
do they sound different? is one better than the other? or are they clones

thank you
They are obviously quite similar but are not precisely clones. However there is really no audible difference between them as to performance. Yes, the Monoprice tests very, very marginally better at ASR, which gets Amir, in his typically single minded dogmatism, all excited--he treats it like the audio equivalent of Robin Hood splitting the arrow in the archery tournament. But the extremely minute differences are audible only to bats. Maybe. One reviewer whom I trust stated that he could hear no difference between these two amps and noted that if someone released a new amp tomorrow with a couple more zeros in measured distortion it would really make no difference.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #2,058 of 2,613
Perhaps I'm just looking for some "end game" which I will never find.
We all have been in this rabbit hole. Just relax step back from audio a bit, like few days, and go back. Stop super analyzing everything and enjoy the music. Enjoy it like when all we had was a battery powered Walkman and some bad headphones that made our daily life brilliant.

Apr 6, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #2,059 of 2,613
We all have been in this rabbit hole. Just relax step back from audio a bit, like few days, and go back. Stop super analyzing everything and enjoy the music. Enjoy it like when all we had was a battery powered Walkman and some bad headphones that made our daily life brilliant.

Well somehow I don't recall ever having a walkman though I'm sure I have. But I do remember having a disc-man in high school and carrying it around everywhere along with a CD booklet. Good times. :) In any case I've still got a decision to make as to which I'm going to keep and which to sell. To me it's down to the DX7S and the THX789 + D70 combo. No point in having two amps. Both sound great though I think there is a bit of a difference in sound. The DX7s uses ESS chips while the D70 uses AKM chips. I know the 789 has more power but I'm not close to the limit on the DX7S though I'm only using my HD6XX headphones.

Apr 7, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #2,060 of 2,613
They are obviously quite similar but are not precisely clones. However there is really no audible difference between them as to performance. Yes, the Monoprice tests very, very marginally better at ASR, which gets Amir, in his typically single minded dogmatism, all excited--he treats it like the audio equivalent of Robin Hood splitting the arrow in the archery tournament. But the extremely minute differences are audible only to bats. Maybe. One reviewer whom I trust stated that he could hear no difference between these two amps and noted that if someone released a new amp tomorrow with a couple more zeros in measured distortion it would really make no difference.
Thank you! Makes sense!

Apr 17, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #2,062 of 2,613
Would the Arya Would be too much Overkill for the THX aaa 789 amp?
I guess He1000 at least would be, right?

Apr 17, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #2,063 of 2,613
Would the Arya Would be too much Overkill for the THX aaa 789 amp?
I guess He1000 at least would be, right?
The 789 can handle the Arya fine, but considering it's not a very warm headphone and the 789 isn't a warm amp it may not give a sound signature you're looking for. YMMV!

I use the Arya for testing in the SMSL SP200, also with THX AAA tech here:

Apr 17, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #2,064 of 2,613
For those that haven't heard, this amp has a new retail price of $299.00. Pretty cool!

Apr 17, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #2,066 of 2,613
What a bargain that is!

Apr 17, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #2,067 of 2,613
The 789 can handle the Arya fine, but considering it's not a very warm headphone and the 789 isn't a warm amp it may not give a sound signature you're looking for. YMMV!

I use the Arya for testing in the SMSL SP200, also with THX AAA tech here:

I love the signature of 789 and He1000V2 which i know (?) is more forward and aggressive vs Arya, Arya is more warm for sure, so for Tonality we are there, my dac is kinda analitic, so when i would pass into D90 i guess there will be more warm and balanced overall, so i guess for that should not be a problem.. Indeed could be a problem the added warmness for my tastes but maybe not, as Arya Would sound world class on 789, i mean, the amp capability will squeeze the Arya at best, so would be kinda sounding He1000V2, so maybe HeK's on 789 is lot of waste of capability (Just my thought? Not sure if i am talking S*@%)
Also, Sp200 nono, 789 sounds way more detailed and staged to me :)

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #2,068 of 2,613
Hello to everyone,
I am using RME ADI-2 DAC paired with HD800s and looking for a dedicated amp. My dream is V280 for its tonality and suitability for HD800s , but as you know, it is not a cheap item. Therefore, I am considering THX AAA 789. Do you have any experience with those together? Any harshness, causes fatigue etc.?
Thanks,

Apr 20, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #2,069 of 2,613
Hello to everyone,
I am using RME ADI-2 DAC paired with HD800s and looking for a dedicated amp. My dream is V280 for its tonality and suitability for HD800s , but as you know, it is not a cheap item. Therefore, I am considering THX AAA 789. Do you have any experience with those together? Any harshness, causes fatigue etc.?
Thanks,
Hello,
I have the HD800s and the 789. It is very transparent with great detail. Not warm kind of sound but certainly not harsh. I use the HD800s for acoustic, jazz and classical and it’s sublime. For other genres I use other headphones

Apr 20, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #2,070 of 2,613
I've got a decision to make as to which I'm going to keep and which to sell. To me it's down to the DX7S and the THX789 + D70 combo. No point in having two amps. Both sound great though I think there is a bit of a difference in sound. The DX7s uses ESS chips while the D70 uses AKM chips. I know the 789 has more power but I'm not close to the limit on the DX7S though I'm only using my HD6XX headphones.

I started reading this thread a few days ago and finally caught up. Interesting history about the availability of the 789, as well as the price jump then the drop in price. While you were deciding or trying to snag a 798 you repeatedly asked whether the 789 is still a good deal. Well now that you have one, IS IT? What's your opinion of the 798?

I have been interested in this amp since it's release but I already have 3 amps & DAC setups, however since they decided to drop the price (pun intended) by $101 U.S. I figured now is the time to buy one so I just purchased one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back