Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Oct 23, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #1,832 of 2,613
Balanced one only. I noticed this effect with different headphones.
Thanks. Think I'll do more testing with Gain 1 now that I am also using balanced cable.

Oct 25, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #1,833 of 2,613
Thanks. Think I'll do more testing with Gain 1 now that I am also using balanced cable.
After few days of testing indeed it seems like Gain 1 offers improved microdynamics and soundstage depth while using balanced headphone out. Especially bass region seems more tuneful with extra clarity. Thanks for the tip!

Oct 28, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #1,834 of 2,613
I'm using gain 2 on my 789 with my 6XX, 58X and Focal Elex. By upping the gain am I simply adding more power? I'm using my headphones with the balance XLR out.

Oct 28, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #1,835 of 2,613
I think it's just gain differences, power is different with 1/4 output vs balanced output.

Oct 28, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #1,836 of 2,613
I'm using gain 2 on my 789 with my 6XX, 58X and Focal Elex. By upping the gain am I simply adding more power? I'm using my headphones with the balance XLR out.

The way I think of Gain is its mostly just a multiplier of power for increasing the voltage sent to the Headphones, more power = more volume, but headphones act differently thus sound differently having been sent the extra power. A lack of power usually reduces the bass response, some headphones don't lack low end thus are not affected by having this lower power while some need it to even be audible. My Verum One's are 8Ohm Headphone and thus shouldn't need a lot of power and this is true for the volume of them, but there is an audible difference between Low and Medium Gain, mostly in the vocals being more pronounced at Medium, which I feel i prefer. I would guess this is due to a bump in low to mid response with the extra gain/power.

The Amp has the following mentioned about the gain on the Massdrop Site: Gain: 0.66x , 2.0x, 6.6x (-4, +6, +16 dB).

Oct 28, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #1,837 of 2,613
The way I think of Gain is its mostly just a multiplier of power for increasing the voltage sent to the Headphones, more power = more volume, but headphones act differently thus sound differently having been sent the extra power. A lack of power usually reduces the bass response, some headphones don't lack low end thus are not affected by having this lower power while some need it to even be audible. My Verum One's are 8Ohm Headphone and thus shouldn't need a lot of power and this is true for the volume of them, but there is an audible difference between Low and Medium Gain, mostly in the vocals being more pronounced at Medium, which I feel i prefer. I would guess this is due to a bump in low to mid response with the extra gain/power.

The Amp has the following mentioned about the gain on the Massdrop Site: Gain: 0.66x , 2.0x, 6.6x (-4, +6, +16 dB).

I also had been using my THX with Verum 1 for half a year. And I have found that the only sound I like is at Gain 1.

Also, please bear in mind that using Verum with THX you void THX's warranty as it is prohibited to use it with headphones wwith less than 12 Ohm.

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #1,838 of 2,613
I also had been using my THX with Verum 1 for half a year. And I have found that the only sound I like is at Gain 1.

Also, please bear in mind that using Verum with THX you void THX's warranty as it is prohibited to use it with headphones wwith less than 12 Ohm.
Do you mean 120 Ohm? Verum is 80 right?

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #1,840 of 2,613
The Verum One is an 8 (Eight) Ohm Headphone. Works fine on my THX 789 but, as mentioned, its not advised to use such headphones.
Ok thanks, good to know!

Oct 28, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #1,841 of 2,613

So basically using mid or high gain is not necessarily a bad thing. It just perhaps changes how a headphone would sound. Right?

Oct 28, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #1,842 of 2,613
Increasing gain also increase your noise floor. So you want to use the least amount of gain as possible to get the volume you need. No more. If your noise floor is at -120dB and you increase your gain by 20dB (just an example), you also increase your noise floor by the same amount and now it's at -100dB.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #1,843 of 2,613
So basically using mid or high gain is not necessarily a bad thing. It just perhaps changes how a headphone would sound. Right?

Yeah, that is correct. It depends on the headphones a lot.. I have Verum One's that are 8 Ohm headphones and Sennheiser HD650 that are 300 Ohm headphones, both i can use on all gain levels but the sound output will just be different for each. The 8 ohm will be louder on all gain levels compared to the 300 ohm pair, but by matching the volume levels between the changing gain levels the sound would be different on both pairs too. Where the 8 ohm would be better on low/med and the 300 ohm better on the Med/High gain settings the difference is very much a personal opinion on whats better to you. I have used the 8 Ohm on high gain and it sounds a lot like medium but i have far less control of the volume, nothing to say i couldn't use this, just it wouldn't be a good idea.

Oct 28, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #1,844 of 2,613
Increasing gain also increase your noise floor. So you want to use the least amount of gain as possible to get the volume you need. No more. If your noise floor is at -120dB and you increase your gain by 20dB (just an example), you also increase your noise floor by the same amount and now it's at -100dB.

Well I've never needed to use anything higher than low gain on any amp I have used. In any case I'm not really sure what "noise floor" is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back