Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #647 of 2,613
Watched z reviews about this. It seems like thx 789 is the best amp he ever heard.
is this better than the sound quality of HeadAmp GS-X mini ? :ksc75smile:

I think the GS-X mini will be better sheerly by virtue of having a stepped attenuator (as an option). That being said, you're comparing a $350 amp to an $1800+ amp. As much of a giantkiller as the THX 789 is, that's one hell of a hill to climb.

Dec 21, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #651 of 2,613
I think the GS-X mini will be better sheerly by virtue of having a stepped attenuator (as an option). That being said, you're comparing a $350 amp to an $1800+ amp. As much of a giantkiller as the THX 789 is, that's one hell of a hill to climb.
An interesting comparison would be the Benchmark HPA4 (THX AAA 888, stepped attenuator without pops, etc.). ~10x the price, of course.

Dec 21, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #653 of 2,613
lets not hype this a giant killer as it really isn't its a very well performing amp for sure, one of the better ones below 1k.

I'd take anything zeos says with a massive grain of salt personally.

Dec 21, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #654 of 2,613
Lets stop judging amps based on what we pay for them? I see all the money comparisons always.

Dec 21, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #655 of 2,613
Lets stop judging amps based on what we pay for them? I see all the money comparisons always.

I know right? I'll go ahead and fab up an o2 amp that's encased in solid gold and uses precision cut diamonds for knobs. Then have the pope christen it and call it the baby jesus. Cost is your soul.....

Any takers?

Seriously though, money can make a difference when we are strictly talking parts, but good engineering can always make great tech on the cheap. Look how far we've come in just the last 50 years. Anyone who looks at the price of this amp and thinks it can't stand against 1k+ amps purely because of its price tag is one of P.T. .Barnum's favorite people.

Dec 21, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #658 of 2,613
Was there a THX 888 MD coming next year. I think someone mentioned that. Maybe better to wait for that?
It's $350, mate. I dont recommend waiting that long for somethimg better. Buy now amd enjoy it.

We live in good times, guys. HD6XX+THX 789+Mimby would be a great setup, comparable to system much more expensive.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #659 of 2,613
I joined the drop yesterday, and also bought a RME ADI-2 Dac to pair with it, since i don't have a standalone Dac. My current headamp/dac is broken at the moment, and listening to music straight from the motherboard of my pc is terrible.
Really looking forward to trying this amp, it already shipped, so now the waiting game begins.

Dec 21, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #660 of 2,613
I joined the drop yesterday, and also bought a RME ADI-2 Dac to pair with it, since i don't have a standalone Dac. My current headamp/dac is broken at the moment, and listening to music straight from the motherboard of my pc is terrible.
Really looking forward to trying this amp, it already shipped, so now the waiting game begins.
The RME ADI-2 is a dac/amp combo so you are planning on bypassing the amp in the RME for the 789? The 789 may sound better but just curious why you went with the RME then. Looks like a very nice unit, btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back