Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Apr 11, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #1,397 of 2,613
Apr 11, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #1,398 of 2,613
Probably because ASR didn't actually review the 788, but rather reviewed the unboxing and "angrily" dodged the review.

Don't forget https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...monoprice-desktop-thx-headphone-amp-dac.5420/

even though its a fantastic dac/amp this non-review killed its traction lol.

Pretty sure its the same THX module x2. Monoprice just managed to rub the reviewer the wrong way to dodge the review completely. Either that or Massdrop rubbed them the right way.

If you have a problem with ASR regarding your disdain for their non-praise of something that seems to be highly prized by you, why don't you raise it up over there ?
And have you actually read the complete proceedings of that particular thread for that matter ? If you haven't then perhaps you should, it puts in proper perspective why the review was shelved. And what has transpired since your 'disappointment' at a non-positive review there. s

There is no need to repeat and lament about it over and over on this thread that has almost no direct correlation with the so said Monoprice product.

Apr 11, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #1,399 of 2,613
If you have a problem with ASR regarding your disdain for their non-praise of something that seems to be highly prized by you, why don't you raise it up over there ?
And have you actually read the complete proceedings of that particular thread for that matter ? If you haven't then perhaps you should, it puts in proper perspective why the review was shelved. And what has transpired since your 'disappointment' at a non-positive review there. s

There is no need to repeat and lament about it over and over on this thread that has almost no direct correlation with the so said Monoprice product.

No, I have a problem with them claiming a preview for a review of a unit sent to them by a member where they didn't even review it and instead crap on them for shipping woes. Btw, I bought my unit AFTER his review expecting to have to return it, so you could imagine my surprise.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #1,400 of 2,613
In contrast XLR-3 cabling eliminates this ground bounce by separating ground from the +/- audio signal wires. Noise currents flowing in the cable ground wire don't induce any voltage across the cable +/- wires.

Hi Andrew, do these noise currents only originate from AC mains connected power supplies?

So if using a battery powered source & DAC (not connected to mains power) then these CM noise currents through RCA to RCA interconnects are not an issue?

For example a Chord Hugo2 (which only has RCA outputs) running on battery power fed by a battery powered DAP.

Apr 14, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #1,401 of 2,613
Hi Andrew, do these noise currents only originate from AC mains connected power supplies?

So if using a battery powered source & DAC (not connected to mains power) then these CM noise currents through RCA to RCA interconnects are not an issue?

For example a Chord Hugo2 (which only has RCA outputs) running on battery power fed by a battery powered DAP.

Hi.
- Yes AC mains-connection transformers, whether 50/60 Hz linear toroid or SMPS, are often the source of this common mode noise injection. Battery-powering everything upstream (e.g. source + DAC) is a great way to prevent that CM injection.
- Keep Source-DAC and DAC-amp cabling short to prevent CM pickup from RF fields nearby. <1ft if possible.

Apr 14, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #1,403 of 2,613
Thanks Andrew.

So if source + DAC are both battery powered (disconnected from mains) then RCA interconnects can be 3 meter in length with no RF pickup issues to worry about?
I'd be concerned. 3m RCA is pretty long and can pickup RF fields. Instead consider two of these from amazon.com. Any CM current from RF pick up will be restricted to the shield, and the inner signal pair will remain clean:
Monoprice 10ft Premier Series XLR Male to RCA Male Cable, 16AWG (Gold Plated)

Apr 16, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #1,404 of 2,613
I'd be concerned. 3m RCA is pretty long and can pickup RF fields. Instead consider two of these from amazon.com. Any CM current from RF pick up will be restricted to the shield, and the inner signal pair will remain clean:
Monoprice 10ft Premier Series XLR Male to RCA Male Cable, 16AWG (Gold Plated)
Are these cables properly wired? I think it would be better not to connect XLR pin 1 to the shield and leave the shield floating connected only to the RCA shield. The schematic from monoprice.com:
47754.jpg

Apr 16, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #1,405 of 2,613
Are these cables properly wired? I think it would be better not to connect XLR pin 1 to the shield and leave the shield floating connected only to the RCA shield. The schematic from monoprice.com:
47754.jpg
Yes this is proper wiring.
CM currents are often current sources and will flow on the lowest impedance path. In this case we want them to flow from RCA sleeve to pin 1, leaving wires 2,3 unadulterated.
If you float wire 1, then the CM currents will try to push through wire 2/3 in parallel and cause massive common mode noise voltage on wire 2/3, which the 789 will have to reject.

Apr 18, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #1,407 of 2,613
Apr 18, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #1,409 of 2,613
That's good news. I went into massdrop just now but status still "sold out"

I’m guessing it’ll be up in 7-8 hours. I think that’s when it usually updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back