1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by XERO1, Mar 1, 2018.
First

Back
1 2 3 4
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Next

Last
  1. cardeli22
    Weird that the Focal Elex had been given to some reviewers before the drop so there were reviews, easily available reviews, (here and on Youtube) but not for this.

2. sebna
    Most likely that is becasue they do not have the final product ready... but still they should give some samples just to assess and compare the technology itself.

And I am not taking people who will do measurement as we can see those already but to audiophiles who could not care less about the measurement.

Unless is it not as good as they try to paint it...

cardeli22 likes this.
  3. Zachik
    Found it eventually. Did not know certain links are forbidden.
    Anyhow, I do own the original Jot (bought it very shortly after it came out) and was very surprised to learn it was changed recently! :astonished:
    I think MD is not doing themselves any favors by not making sure reviews are lined up for a new product introduction! Many (myself included) would not join this one, for that reason...
    @CEE TEE - reconsider this strategy buddy :wink:

cardeli22 likes this.
  4. Liu Junyuan
    Re:sebna

Cool. You could just leave the drop without sharing your affinity for conspiracy theories (evidenced by the scare-word “tactics”).

On the other hand, I just said there was a review. So it is false to say there is “dodgy NO review tactics.”

I’m not sure what’s up with Jude’s promised review. Perhaps at/after Canjam he’ll drop some impressions.

The only issues I have with this drop are the wait and the wall wart. I am more perturbed by the latter. Otherwise, I am fairly certain this will be an outstanding amp.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  5. cardeli22
    Not to derail too much but what has changed with the Jotunheim besides the ability to choose a multibit dac add-on as well as the balanced dac? Genuinely curious.

6. Liu Junyuan
    Jot has had a silent revision(s). Treble is purportedly smoother and timbre slightly warmer. Bass and slam remain unchanged. Staging still sucks.

The review that is out is all I need, combined with negura’s posts earlier in the thread.

cardeli22 likes this.
  7. cardeli22
    Thanks for explaining.

8. mtmercer
    @cardeli22

I would describe the claimed change to the JOT as "Me and someone else think it sounds different in XYZ way." I do not necessarily think we can say with certainty that the JOT has had a silent revision. If you google "thx 789 aaa vs jot" the impressions in question are my 1st search result for reference.

cardeli22 likes this.
  9. cardeli22
    Found it when phrased that way. Thanks.

10. Alcophone
    The Jot modifications are pure speculation.

Jude already had to rush the video with CanJam Singapore announcements, I'd imagine he will try to squeeze something out early next week, just in time for people to still join.

The drop is also limited to 480 units, 290+ are sold, so more than half. Compare that to the Gustard H20 drop where one guy joined shortly before it ended, with three people needed. Now that's a bad drop...

11. Liu Junyuan
    The silent Jot revisions are corroborated by Schiit and by those who are friends with Schiit.

That's probably right, on Jude's front.

Exactly--290+ sold is an incredible number of people with enough patience to wait until Halloween for this amp.

cardeli22 likes this.
  12. CEE TEE Contributor
    Hey Guys,
    I don’t want to promise, but I am hoping to get some more samples by SoCal CanJam where I will have a table...
    Also, Jude was slammed with Singapore but I know he was working on some measurements.
    Zachik, are you local? I should be getting back an early prototype this week.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/massdrop https://twitter.com/massdrop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
    Liu Junyuan likes this.
  13. Alcophone
    Hm, then I missed it. Can you point me in the right direction of Jason commenting on it?

14. Zachik
    I contacted @CEE TEE some time ago, suggesting they come up with a box in same form factor or double-height as the new amps (LCX, CTH) that would serve as a multi-device LPS. Basically, 1 AC in and 3 or 4 DC outs for the above (plus future MD amps / DACs)... think of something like:
    https://wyred4sound.com/products/upgrades-mods-accessories/ps-1-modular-linear-power-supply

That would resolve the wall warts / power bricks mess when getting several MD devices like many of us do...

One could hope... I would not hold my breathe, knowing how busy Jude is, especially when traveling internationally.

15. Zachik
    Hey CT - yeah, I live in San Jose. We had a long chat at the SF meet a few months ago - I would be shocked if you remember, as you were overwhelmed by Head-Fi-ers :wink:

cardeli22 likes this.
First

Back
1 2 3 4
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Next

Last