1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by XERO1, Mar 1, 2018.
First

Back
23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43
Next

Last
  1. gto88
    there you go, better not. right. it seems void your warranty as said.

Wil likes this.
  2. Alcophone
    Here you go:

cardeli22 and Wil like this.
  3. Wil
    Cheers all!

Will save myself some cash then.

Thanks again.

4. LevPush
    Hi there, just want to ask is the connection between power adapter and the plug seem loose? See the attachment here, it feels like it is not entirely inserted, but I have already used some force to push it in.

5. MacMan31
    Hmm okay. The Aune X7S also has three gain settings and I'm on low gain with any of my headphones. Volume is never past 12 noon. From what I understand it's best to use the lowest gain setting possible for headphones. I could use a higher setting but it likely wouldn't make any difference.

6. Jthompson300
    It all depends on your point of view on using different gain settings. There are people who regularly post on this site that will tell you you only need 1mw to 3mw to power your headphones because of their specs in order to reach the specific DB listed from the manufacturer, others will say that in order to get the full benefit of your headphones you need more power to bring out the true designed sound of your headphones. My advice would be to try everything out, since you got a headphone amp in the first place you are already into the idea that you need some power so play around and see what you like.

My point of view is that the Aune, just on specs alone would not suit my needs because I am on the side of the fence that my Audeze LCD-2 and even my XC despite the impedance need power to bring them to the level that the manufacturer designed them to be at based on their recommendations and my own take on how it sounds when being run with more or less power to my ears. Even with the 789 I am at 12 o’clock with my LCD-2 at level 3 gain depending on source material, let’s say dsd 2.8-5.6. My Ifi Xcan puts out roughly the same amount as the Aune you have when in balanced out and while it works for my XC and my Elegia it ends up feeling very lacking for my LCD-2.

Play around, see what you like and determine what you feel you might need before you leave it at “it likely won’t make a difference”, after all you took the leap from running from a PC/Cellphone to getting a DAC/AMP so you already have a little faith in more is better.

7. gtbrown50
    The Yggy has two sets of RCA outputs, and I run each to a 789. My desk 789 has a 3 foot cable, by exercise area a 15 foot cable. Simple, clean and works perfectly.

8. tim0chan
    anyone know when the next drop is?

9. Baten
    considering the drop sold out 2 days ago, gonna go out a limb and say no one knows yet :D

omniweltall likes this.
  10. tim0chan
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    any cheaper alternatives to tide me over?

11. Baten
    JDS labs atom has near identical performance compared to THX' single ended.
    THX AAA has much more power in its balanced operation, but single ended is about the same :)

the JDS is also quite elegant looking.

12. tim0chan
    require th estupid amount of power to run planars tho

13. BrotherKathos
    I also really like my Schiit asgard 2 that's $100 less than the thx. The THX is only marginally better imo and the asgard works great as a preamp for my external speakers as well.

14. Baten
    Emotiva basx a-100 has stupid amounts of power for planars but hasn't got the low noise floor of the thx, nor the low impedance output to drive sensitive headphones. For planars only it is very powerful though if that's what you need.

If you need to drive all kinds of different headphones best to look for a THX unit used, or wait :D

tim0chan likes this.
  15. BrotherKathos
    My Audeze lcd2c and hifiman he-400i both work great on the Asgard 2. Both are planars with the hifiman only requiring the 12:00 position in low gain for me to reach around 85db

First

Back
23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43
Next

Last