1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by XERO1, Mar 1, 2018.
First

Back
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42
Next

Last
  1. MacMan31
    Yes I do plan on getting a balanced cable for my 6XX at some point. I thought the 789 was truly balanced as it has balanced inputs on the back? Also if I were to get a balanced DAC to pair with it what would be a good recommendation? I have not seen the Massdrop SDAC balanced get dropped for a long time.

2. LevPush
    See previous post I asked the same question(at page 29 or something). They say this is not truly balanced, so no point to get balanced dac(but you can anyway).

3. MacMan31
    Hmm okay. Then what is the point of including balanced inputs?

4. Arctia
    Supposedly the dual XLR-in to balanced-out pathway eliminates several potential extra paths that the RCA-in has to go through.

5. MacMan31
    Hmm okay. Not really familiar with the technical stuff behind that so maybe it’s no big deal for me.

6. BrotherKathos
    I dont get your issue with the volume being silent. When i turn the volume all the way down with source still playing its dead silent. I’ve not tried with the unit off since its on all the time. Everything with a pot will have low volume imbalance. only way around that is digital volume control to my knowledge.
    What are the symptoms of the crosstalk issue? I’ve used mine in se before and heard no difference with any gain setting, and I’m using balanced out now with also no difference besides the gain as i switch. Is the issue on balanced and se in low gain or just one of them? Is this something audible or are they using an actual meter to measure crosstalk in the different gain settings?

I gotta edit my statement. I never noticed it before bc i was using low gain and the laptop next to me is kinda noisy with fan. i switched gain and listened and i do hear the music when the volume is turned down all the way.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  7. ReAlien
    I've seen a picture with measurements data on crosstalk issue here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-of-massdrop-thx-aaa-789-amp.5001/post-117628

8. gtbrown50
    I run my 789 on the middle gain setting for all my HPs and haven't had anything except good sound.....typically volume is between 9 and 1 o'clock.

omniweltall likes this.
  9. Arctia
    crosstalk - I clarified that it shouldn't be audible in a later post

low level channel imbalance - yeah theoretically all analog pots will have it. But you can engineer it to not-audible levels. I certainly can't hear any imbalance with my SPL, but that was originally a $700+ amp

10. alpovs
    I am curious if you connect one through XLR and the other through RCA or use some kind of XLR switch, or plug/unplug cables by hand when you move from one amp to the other? I figured balanced cables can be run long way without SQ degradation.

11. LevPush
    Just got mine. Compared to my Magni 3, its no brainer. I have no more insight than anything out here. Just one question, is there any benefit to use the magni as a preamp? (something like Modi3->Magni3->THX AAA 789)

Also, through SE, with my HD6XX, I need to use gain III at 12 o'clock to get satisfying volume, so it seems that it is not that powerful through SE. But I already ordered a balanced cable so not too worry about it.

12. LevPush
    WeChat Image_20181204201245.jpg

Oh yeah another question, when I try to connect the power adapter to the power plug, it's pretty loose, and I can't force it to get any deeper. Take a look at the pic here

13. Wil
    hey all.

I have an incoming unit.

Was wondering if i can use a 24V4A DC LPS to power the unit instead and if there will be any benefits?

Thanks!

14. gto88
    I remember there is warning from designer about the power unit to use.
    you better check the post back.

Wil likes this.
  15. LevPush
    The manual says "do not use any other power suppy unit with the 789."

Wil likes this.
First

Back
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42
Next

Last