Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Nov 14, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #273 of 2,613
If you're going to own only one amp, make it SS. Build a good sounding reference system you can live with, then expand to more esoteric gear like tubes. My vote is to sell the ember, imho.
I plan to possibly downsize my dac too, currently have a theta dspro basic iiia...

Nov 15, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #275 of 2,613
Good news on the button issue! I was told that the amp has a protective circuit that makes the button unresponsive for five seconds after pushing it. And waiting long enough between using the button indeed restores its functionality for me. It seems that pulling the button simply increases the likelihood of waiting long enough between button pushes.

This could definitely be indicated much more clearly, though with regular use it's probably a non-issue. Turn it on, use it for a long time, turn it off.

Nov 15, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #276 of 2,613
Wait you didnt even wait 2 seconds for it to switch on before you tried again and thus switched it off?

Nov 15, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #279 of 2,613
Does anyone have a link to the balanced output pin-outs? I need to make a cable before the amp arrives.
3-pin-xlr-wiring-diagram-brainglue-of-xlr-wire-diagram.jpg

Nov 15, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #280 of 2,613
Does anyone have impression of this amp with Focal Utopia? I wonder does it pairs well.
First time I heard this combo I was floored by the resolution and clarity on display. The THX doesn’t add much in terms of depth of sound or expand the Utopia’s somewhat limited soundstage however the imaging is spot on. There’s definite synergy between the Utopia and the THX. My strong first impression (for a minute I was wondering if the THX could replace my HPA V281 in my chain!) has cooled a bit but I still think the THX makes a good solid state pairing with the Utopias. I’d avoid dacs that add too much brightness to the chain though as both of the Utopias and the THX lean toward that end of the spectrum. I’d also make sure to have a balanced cable on hand to take advantage of the extra power the THX offers through that output. Overall though, a very clean, engaging sound that I’d recommend to Utopia owners. Especially for the price!

Nov 15, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #281 of 2,613
Anyone running the 789 with the SU-8? Impressions and comparisons would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
I have this combo. It's excellent. I'm using a Litte Bear switch to allow me to A/B between my Audio-gd R2R 1 and the SU-8. The sound is very comparable, the Audio-gd is better overall mainly in transparency and openness, but at 1/3 the price I don't think you'll find better in a balanced DAC. It's pretty exceptional. I bought two actually so that I can enjoy one at work! It will definitely be better I than the balanced SDAC which is not dual mono. Also, you get the added abilities for the SU-8 llike filters and volume control via the remote, although I have not played at all with the different sound filters.

Good luck to you!

Nov 15, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #282 of 2,613
First time I heard this combo I was floored by the resolution and clarity on display. The THX doesn’t add much in terms of depth of sound or expand the Utopia’s somewhat limited soundstage however the imaging is spot on. There’s definite synergy between the Utopia and the THX. My strong first impression (for a minute I was wondering if the THX could replace my HPA V281 in my chain!) has cooled a bit but I still think the THX makes a good solid state pairing with the Utopias. I’d avoid dacs that add too much brightness to the chain though as both of the Utopias and the THX lean toward that end of the spectrum. I’d also make sure to have a balanced cable on hand to take advantage of the extra power the THX offers through that output. Overall though, a very clean, engaging sound that I’d recommend to Utopia owners. Especially for the price!

What is the THX soung signature?

Nov 16, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #283 of 2,613
Got my new toy first comparisons show it to be flat as a pancake and essentially a wire with gain I doubt there will be a better bargain out in headfi land for a while. I need a better dac lol. BTW anyone know where I can find cases the same size and style I want to build a switching matrix for all my gear and possibly linear psu's?

Nov 16, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #285 of 2,613
Does the 789 have any sound sig?
This is impossible to say. But it works splendid with a wide range of headphones so doubt it has any major colourations.

It kind of feels like it has someone kind of velvet filter there is no sharpness anywhere particularly on my rme adi-2 at default settings. Maybe the error corrections in the works

Users who are viewing this thread

Back