1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by XERO1, Mar 1, 2018.
First

Back
109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118
120 121 122
Next

Last
  1. JinTam
    Hmm, the Cayin is pretty good too. I think I just prefer tubes. I'm going to try the 789 again this weekend with my Fostex TH-X00 Ebony. I don't play my music too loud so clarity is not a problem playing loud.

ls13coco likes this.
  2. deafenears
    Like the HPA-1 from @tomchr of Neurochrome fame?
    https://www.tomchr.com/products/hpa-1

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    bequietjk likes this.
  3. bequietjk
    Dangit! I was hoping he'd produce something with something NEAR the power of his last creation. This new HPA-1 looks nice but power-wise does not seem to be in the same league T.T

4. ls13coco
    I hear that. Cayin HA300 and Woo WA22 are the top amps on my list actually, so much reading your praise of your Woo and Cayin amps comparative to the 789 is nice to see (however should be so, given the price brackets).
    I too prefer tubes overall, as well as planars though it seems.
    The Burson Fun with V6 Classic op-amps is my favorite SS amp so far, it has some nice hybrid-tube traits. I'd recommend that over the 789 in a heartbeat for anyone who doesn't need balanced and prefers musical.

I must say, the 789 does sound better with the rDac than it did with my previous dac.

5. mixman
    Now I see why the Drop THX is now in stock because THX or whoever is now making this unit for Monoprice. Looks like the same unit except different knobs, but will the specs be the same?

6. newtophones07

I wish the Asgard 3 was balanced.

7. bequietjk
    Right? Then we're stepping into Jotunheim territory and hopefully, just hopefully schiit is working on Jot II.

8. alpovs
    What can be improved in Jot I?

9. TJ Max
    I just received my THX 789 yesterday, and am testing it out. I'm curious if anyone has a similar set up as I do.
    Node 2i->{coax}->Schiit Gungnir Multibit->{XLR}->THX789->{XLR}->Beyerdynamic T1 2nd gen.
    And what do you think about it?

To me it comes across as a bit loud.

Gain is set to II which is supposed to be 0 db? The manual is confusing regard the gains between Single Ended and XLR.
    If II is 0dB and I is -10dB with SE and XLR adds +6dB to everything. Then at means there is no 0dB gain for XLR, the closet you can get is -4dB.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    ephrank likes this.
  10. bequietjk
    I'm not too sure to be honest. I don't have any evidence to support Jot needing any improvements as I've never listened to it. Though, I have heard from many that it could be improved and with the new Asgard 3 and Bifrost 2 out now... I'll bet Schiit's working on a Jot II.

11. ephrank
    Please share your impression of the AAA 789 -> Z7M2. :beerchug:

12. gunnilinux
    What can be improved in Jot I?

If it's like all of the other Shiit gear i have used, they could make it not run as hot as a convection oven.

13. escalibur
    According to it's measurements it doesn't seem be that good neither. :) It's ok amp but there are plenty of better options available for quite the same price.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  14. alpovs
    Unfortunately those measurements are mostly of the builtin multibit DAC and multibit DACs don't measure well but sound very good. I've seen Jot's measurement on another forum and they seemed to be about the same as 789's in the audible range.

15. alpovs
    I agree with you here. It's especially important for you since you are in Florida. And sometimes beneficial to me in Canada. :)

First

Back
109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118
120 121 122
Next

Last