Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Jul 31, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #1,696 of 2,613
Unbalanced DAC it is :)

Funny how one of the most renowned headphone amps in this community does not have discrete circuitry like so many trend towards nowadays, but uses opamps in the signal path. Kinda turns conventional engineering and design on its head..

Jul 31, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #1,697 of 2,613
Unbalanced DAC it is :)

Funny how one of the most renowned headphone amps in this community does not have discrete circuitry like so many trend towards nowadays, but uses opamps in the signal path. Kinda turns conventional engineering and design on its head..
Opamps contain dozens to hundreds of devices, all precisely matched and temperature compensated. You usually can't replicate that in discrete without a ton of work.

Jul 31, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #1,698 of 2,613
No, we don't just use half the input signal. We use it all, through an instrumentation opamp differential input stage.
Both 789 input types are extremely high quality with impeccable measurements. For most setups, indistinguishable.
Choose the DAC you like best, and if you must use RCA use short cables 1-2ft. It'll be awesome. Cheers!

Thank you for clarifying. I’m not a technical person, obviously. I was just describing, in layperson’s terms, how the amp wasn’t fully balanced. Correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds like the balanced signal is used in the path to ensure a level of accuracy. The 789 is just not (what is traditionally accepted as) a fully balanced design like the LCX, and so there are very minimal differences between the single-ended and balanced signal paths within the circuitry of the amp itself. That, at the very least, was the larger point I was trying to make, however inelegantly.

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #1,699 of 2,613
I think that technically it isn’t that they have more stock (if it were in stock they could ship it right away at the end of the drop rather than waiting till mid November). They probably have secured more production capacity at their contract manufacturer and/or they have secured more of the scarce components from their supply chain, allowing them to build many more units than before,

In either case, a great development indeed.

Exactly what I meant, @jsmiller58, more stock in the sense their production & components quota is up so they can offer more.

We're see what happens, great development perhaps but at least heading in the right direction...or at least one hopes.

I remain cynical either way till I have my unit to use.

Hope you have a great day !

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #1,700 of 2,613
@AndrewM888

I am looking forward to a THX tube AMP! Around $400 also. Make it happen! :)

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #1,701 of 2,613
@AndrewM888

I am looking forward to a THX tube AMP! Around $400 also. Make it happen! :)
+1. Either that or better yet their version of the the Cavalli Liquid Platinum, which would be an all out version of the CTH.......$500, It would kill and look better than the Monoprice.

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #1,702 of 2,613
Exactly what I meant, @jsmiller58, more stock in the sense their production & components quota is up so they can offer more.

We're see what happens, great development perhaps but at least heading in the right direction...or at least one hopes.

I remain cynical either way till I have my unit to use.

Hope you have a great day !
I hope your 789 turns out to be a great investment and that it brings you much audio bliss!

And, yeah, stay cynical!

Aug 1, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #1,703 of 2,613
Thank you for clarifying. I’m not a technical person, obviously. I was just describing, in layperson’s terms, how the amp wasn’t fully balanced. Correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds like the balanced signal is used in the path to ensure a level of accuracy. The 789 is just not (what is traditionally accepted as) a fully balanced design like the LCX, and so there are very minimal differences between the single-ended and balanced signal paths within the circuitry of the amp itself. That, at the very least, was the larger point I was trying to make, however inelegantly.
All good!
Balanced signalling is great for audio but the reason why is misunderstood. Balanced signaling is just a subset of the important thing: differential signalling. Differential signalling reduces noise and hum pickup by keeping signal lines clean and separate from dirty shields and ground planes that can inject noise by "ground bounce" mechanisms.
You can achieve differential signaling from DAC to amp by either XLR3-XLR3 from bal DAC, or RCA to XLR3 from unbal DAC.
Then, regardless of input type, 789 circuit architecture maintains fully differential signaling --> the full benefit of "fully balanced" architecture, without the cost and complexity.

Aug 4, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #1,706 of 2,613
  • IMG_20190804_153501.jpg
  • This thread seems quiet lately, so here's my now readable volume pot. :)

Aug 4, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #1,708 of 2,613
very nice did you move the led to the knob? i was going to take mine apart to do basically the same thing i just have yet to have the time lol

That's an interesting idea actually!

I went the cheap and simple route, went to Canadian Tire and was searching for a white or yellow sharpie. Ended up leaving with a small amount of white paint and a tiny brush, just spent some time trying to keep it all in the indent and clearing off any excess.

MCTH incoming this week, so I'll have to repeat it lol

Aug 4, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #1,710 of 2,613
thats what i plan to do is move the led to the knob. in the pic you posted it looks like a led lol

If you do, definitely show us, sounds like a cool idea to me lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back