Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Nov 13, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #241 of 2,613
So I just saw that the THX 789 is back on massdrop with immediate shipping, (as always..). But my question is, why would I buy this over the thx via Monoprice which includes a balanced dac for less $$ than you could possibly find a balanced dac to compliment the massdrop THX? Are there any cheap balanced DAC's that you all think are worth pairing with the THX 789?

Does anyone have thoughts about the balanced Sdac (which i dunno where to find at the moment) vs a dual AKM that (i think) is used in the Monoprice THX amp?
I would strongly recommend the SMSL SU-8. It's exceptionally good and $200 on Massdrop when they have them available. Otherwise, $250 direct from China. It's Dual Mono which I believe will make it a better choice than the SDAC. I don't trust that the Balanced version of the SDAC will outperform it, and you won't have the full feature set as well. Comparing directly through a/b switch from my Audio-GD R2R 1 and the SU-8, the difference is almost negligible. The Audio-gd has a bit more transparency, but both are in the same class I would say. For $50 more than the SDAC, I think it's your best choice up to the $800 range for a balanced DAC. Bargain.

Nov 13, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #243 of 2,613
Was it a sarcasm? The last two drops had half-year waiting time.

I am referring to how once they finally ship they bring it back for next day shipping, negating any reason for people to wait for 6 months in the first place.

I would strongly recommend the SMSL SU-8. It's exceptionally good and $200 on Massdrop when they have them available. Otherwise, $250 direct from China. It's Dual Mono which I believe will make it a better choice than the SDAC. I don't trust that the Balanced version of the SDAC will outperform it, and you won't have the full feature set as well. Comparing directly through a/b switch from my Audio-GD R2R 1 and the SU-8, the difference is almost negligible. The Audio-gd has a bit more transparency, but both are in the same class I would say. For $50 more than the SDAC, I think it's your best choice up to the $800 range for a balanced DAC. Bargain.

I have seem this dac in my searches, however I will say the Monoprice THX AKM's operate in Dual Mono as well..

This is merely to play devil's advocate and promote the very low asking price of $449 to have it all in one box.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #244 of 2,613
This time it's a very strange drop. Only for 24hr and immediate shipping. Are they selling the repaired units that some people had to send them back? They say 480 units are available but it looks like they just didn't edit the description from last drop. Are they hoping to sell 480 units in 24 hours?..

EDIT:
I am referring to how once they finally ship they bring it back for next day shipping, negating any reason for people to wait for 6 months in the first place.
I guess I stayed away from MassDrop for too long. Indeed, I see they now have many products with immediate shipping and 24hr duration which I presume restarts every day. Wow! Even the HD6XX is like this. I remember I had to wait for these for months.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #246 of 2,613
mine better be a new unit. i had to finally send mine back and im still waiting for a replacement. and also waiting for the second unit i ordered from the second big drop they had. im a bit annoyed at this point honestly. i paid for 2 new units and i will meticulously look them both over and make sure i dont see any signs of handling or repair just to be sure. ill be getting the monoprice unit also and most likely if they compare well enough to the massdrop ill prob sell one of my massdrop unit and have one of each.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #247 of 2,613
I bought one. Will open it up upon receipt to verify if it is repaired / etc.

Nov 13, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #248 of 2,613
Pretty sure they're all new guys. I think they have to specify if they are refurbs or open boxes.

Maybe @CEE TEE can chime in?

Nov 13, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #249 of 2,613
I received an LCX that has hand soldering on a component so.. you never know. Repaired doesn't always mean a customer touched it. By the way, my LCX has always performed flawlessly. I've come to trust in massdrop.

Nov 13, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #251 of 2,613
I have several other amps, here is the list:
Audio-gd NFB-1
Massdrop Alex Cavalli CTH
Massdrop Alex Cavalli Liquid Carbon X
Massdrop x THX AAA 789
Schiit Vali 2
S.M.S.L sAp-9
Schiit Jotunheim
Massdrop Objective 2
I also have an S.M.S.L SH-8 on order, and can't wait to use that with my second SU-8 at work.....

For Dacs I have:
Audio-gd R2R 1
Schiit Modi Multibit
2- Grace SDACs
2- S.M.S.L SU-8s

Headphones:
Focal Massdrop Elex
Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow Closed
Audeeze Sine Closed (work headphones)
Hifiman Massdrop HE4XX
Sennheiser Massdrop HD-6XX
Sennheiser HD-600
AKG Massdrop K7XX
AKG K533 Pro Studio Monitor
Monoprice M1060
Monoprice M560

So far, I've only listened to it for a couple hours using my Focal Elex. I'll post my views shortly, but more listening first!

Nfb1 amp vs 789 thoughts?

Nov 13, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #252 of 2,613
I'm pretty sure this is currently the best measuring dedicated amp I know of. AudioGD I 'hear' is a syrupy-warm signature. Subjectively, who knows.. That is up to you to decide. At this price the performance is off the charts. I doubt this 1day ship drop will last very long.

Nov 13, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #253 of 2,613
I doubt this 1day ship drop will last very long.
Apparently it became permanent. They changed the message about available 480 units to this:
"Note: This item is in stock and will ship within 1 business day. Your payment method will be charged 2 hours after joining. Cancellations are accepted until that time. The drop will launch and end each day to collect purchases."

In the past 7 hours they sold roughly 70 units.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #254 of 2,613
Yes, but this is the generic statement they put on all their ship right away drops until it sells out. If they had enough I'm sure they would have shipped all of the Febuary drop buyers? Who knows.

Nov 13, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #255 of 2,613
Nfb1 amp vs 789 thoughts?
I'm planning to spend some extended time with it this weekend, but my initial impression is that I like it about as much as I do my Audio-gd. The Audio-gd is great, but I have a problem with it and my Focal Elex for some reason, and i've only listened to the 789 with the Elex so far. One of the main reasons I bought the other Massdrop amps as well as the THX AAA 789. I think the THX AAA 789 has much greater transparency than the Cavalli's, is less veiled and more resolving. Also seems to have more punch. At this price point, there isn't anything I think is better that I've heard. It's a beast. I love the Elex paired with all three of the Massdrop amps, but this one is certainly special.

I also received a pair of the closed back Focal Elegia's today (Can't wait to see them!) to try out for a week as part of the loaner program @TTVJAudio is hosting. Should be a better headphone to do a direct comparison with my Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow Closed on the NFB-1 so long as I don't get the distortion like I do on the Elex. Either way, I plan to give both a direct comparison using multiple DACs and headphones, and I'll post the impressions here after the week with the Elegia's is up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back