Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX
Nov 2, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 55
I don't get it. Why would upgraded hd600/hd650 be interesting? It would still be inferior to hd800(and propably hd700). Otherwise it would be directly eating profits off sennheiser current offerings. 

Other companies are coming up with new models and new innovations...Sennheiser came up with hd800S that fixes the problems hd800 has. Maybe now , 15 years later they come up with hd6xx and remove the "sennheiser veil". I'm just not too confident with sennheisers ability to come up with anything remarkable right now. Just an upgrade to hd6xx line would even more make sennheiser look like a company that is unable to create something new and worthwile.

Unless this new release is based on technology used in hd800,tuned like hd600/hd650 and priced at $500 I see nothing interesting here. And I don't see that happening, not after hd800S.

Nov 2, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #8 of 55
  I don't get it. Why would upgraded hd600/hd650 be interesting? It would still be inferior to hd800(and propably hd700). Otherwise it would be directly eating profits off sennheiser current offerings. 

Other companies are coming up with new models and new innovations...Sennheiser came up with hd800S that fixes the problems hd800 has. Maybe now , 15 years later they come up with hd6xx and remove the "sennheiser veil". I'm just not too confident with sennheisers ability to come up with anything remarkable right now. Just an upgrade to hd6xx line would even more make sennheiser look like a company that is unable to create something new and worthwile.

Unless this new release is based on technology used in hd800,tuned like hd600/hd650 and priced at $500 I see nothing interesting here. And I don't see that happening, not after hd800S.

I wouldn't say what Sennheiser did with the HD800S fixes the HD800. There are still too many things wrong with the 800S.

Based on the Orpheus 2, Sennheiser still has the engineering chops to create something magnificent is they want to. Unfortunately, not counting their $50,000 headphone system, they are being handily outclassed on TOTL headphones right now.

If they could put out an HD600 or HD650 clone with Massdrop for around $200, I bet there would be a lot of takers. And I don't think that diminishes the company's image in any way. I'm guessing the Sennheiser engineers are plotting to bring out a new TOTL headphone that can compete with the reality of today's market.

Nov 2, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 55

If it's a good price, many people new to the HD600/650 will be tempted to buy it.  And many the existing fans of the HD600/650 will also be tempted to buy it, even if the differences are minor.  I suspect it will be a success huge.

I paid about $250 new for both the HD600 and HD650, and feel their sound quality hits far above that price point.  So if the HD6XX is priced similarly, it's worth getting just for a different flavor of this well loved product line.

Nov 2, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 55

If they could put out an HD600 or HD650 clone with Massdrop for around $200, I bet there would be a lot of takers. And I don't think that diminishes the company's image in any way. I'm guessing the Sennheiser engineers are plotting to bring out a new TOTL headphone that can compete with the reality of today's market.

Exactly what I was thinking. It's sennheisers take on the akg k7xx and at the same price it would probably cause some competition, not that I think both are equal in technical performance, but more so that both should be equally as popular. If it is very successful we might even see an hd8xx someday 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back