Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Dec 31, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #4,307 of 4,845
$135 right now on Drop. Becoming harder to not pull the trigger and get them.
That is if you get a good pair with proper driver matching and tuning. It's a lottery with sennheiser's and 58X is no exception, making it even more bothersome with Drop's non existent replacment policy and expensive returns.. But yes it's good they finally reach the sale price of a very similar HD599.

Dec 31, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #4,308 of 4,845
That is if you get a good pair with proper driver matching and tuning. It's a lottery with sennheiser's and 58X is no exception, making it even more bothersome with Drop's non existent replacment policy and expensive returns.. But yes it's good they finally reach the sale price of a very similar HD599.

I couldn’t disagree more on your Sennheiser driver matching lottery comment and your similarity to HD599 comment. On the first ground you are exposing a non-existent problem for the most. Driver matching is as much a problem with Sennheiser as the reliability of a Swiss Rolex watch. On the second ground the HD599 is as similar to the HD58x as the VW Golf is to the Audi TT. The only part that I tend to agree is the Drop’s lacking after-sale service (repair service and replacement under warranty). It’s even more lacking in the context that Drop is now selling certain goods as the legal manufacturer (at least for certain goods it sells like the THX, CTH, O2 and similar headphone amps, although manufactured to Drop’s specifications by third parties in China), yet not providing any after-sale service repair whatsoever and providing a very limited warranty policy (that wouldn’t stand a chance legally in my jurisdiction).

Dec 31, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #4,309 of 4,845
I couldn’t disagree more on your Sennheiser driver matching lottery comment and your similarity to HD599 comment. On the first ground you are exposing a non-existent problem for the most. Driver matching is as much a problem with Sennheiser as the reliability of a Swiss Rolex watch. On the second ground the HD599 is as similar to the HD58x as the VW Golf is to the Audi TT. The only part that I tend to agree is the Drop’s lacking after-sale service (repair service and replacement under warranty). It’s even more lacking in the context that Drop is now selling certain goods as the legal manufacturer (at least for certain goods it sells like the THX, CTH, O2 and similar headphone amps, although manufactured to Drop’s specifications by third parties in China), yet not providing any after-sale service repair whatsoever and providing a very limited warranty policy (that wouldn’t stand a chance legally in my jurisdiction).
Disagree with whatever you want. Your claims are backed up by nothing, while I did hear 2 pairs of 58X and 5 pairs of 599 already so I think I know for a fact a little more about sennheiser's tuning differences among units of the same headphone model.

About Jubile's vs HD5 they share similar driver only first with HD6-series tuning, which is a well known and proven fact in audiophile community, while of course others still want to believe in a fairytale just becasue it's a new and different part number. HD58X are not as resolving, balanced or detailed as HD650. Prefer HD599 myself for much better soundstage but what matters is they share same driver technicalities with HD58X, just a different tuning. Even being 150Ohm makes them only a tiny tad more amp dependent, but not really more resolving. That among few other things is what sepreates them both from HD6-series.

As for Drop it's not that you can't return an item. It's the fact they don't inform people about it, and when you want to return they don't offer replacement, even worse don't cover return shippment cost. Yes for foreign customers it's even more complicated.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #4,311 of 4,845
Disagree with whatever you want. Your claims are backed up by nothing, while I did hear 2 pairs of 58X and 5 pairs of 599 already so I think I know for a fact a little more about sennheiser's tuning differences among units of the same headphone model.

About Jubile's vs HD5 they share similar driver only first with HD6-series tuning, which is a well known and proven fact in audiophile community, while of course others still want to believe in a fairytale just becasue it's a new and different part number. HD58X are not as resolving, balanced or detailed as HD650. Prefer HD599 myself for much better soundstage but what matters is they share same driver technicalities with HD58X, just a different tuning. Even being 150Ohm makes them only a tiny tad more amp dependent, but not really more resolving. That among few other things is what sepreates them both from HD6-series.

As for Drop it's not that you can't return an item. It's the fact they don't inform people about it, and when you want to return they don't offer replacement, even worse don't cover return shippment cost. Yes for foreign customers it's even more complicated.

Again, the only paragraph above that I concur is your last one regarding returns.

For the rest, I am glad you hold the Truth, since I know nothing about Sennheiser headphones, just take a look at my signature. I shall therefore follow the Truth.

If driver mismatch is a problem you experienced, it probably falls within the 0,5% of normal stats of factory seconds, so you shouldn’t be concerned going forward or else buy yourself a lottery ticket, with that kind of chance you carry, you may win the jackpot very soon. Sennheiser has a very good track record on quality. Try a few Hifimans (like my HE400i) and you’ll see what is bad quality control in headphone industry (those 2.5mm cup/wire connectors provide mediocre reliability and quality, at least choose a Hifiman headphone with 3.5mm cup/wire connectors. The latest HE400i revision switched to 3.5mm connectors). Sennheiser’s quality is as good as it gets, favorably comparable in quality control to other headphone giants (AKG, Beyer, Audio Technica, Sony, etc.)

HD599 to HD58x preference is a personal question, I won’t challenge your taste, but the HE58x has a totally new driver, different from HD5 and HD6 series, similar but not equal to HD660S driver. The 150 ohms impedance is unique to the HD58X (and HD660S). Sennheiser acknowledges that it is a new driver never used before. Yes any new driver from Sennheiser has probably been influenced from previous drivers, so it may or it may not ressemble or may been influenced in its conception by HD5 or HD6 series drivers. Moreover, the enclosure has as much to do with sound quality as the driver itself, check out the last video of Tyll regarding the HD660S. And the HD58X uses the same enclosure as other HD6 series, thus a similarity in sound (similar, but with notable differences) even if not using the same driver. In the end, just listen and make your own judgment and leave aside your driver mismatch and HD5/6 arguments. If you prefer the HD599, that’s fine. I personally prefer the HD58x. Of all of these, my full preference is HD650/6XX (first) and HD600 (second). I have listened to the HD599 many times in audio shops. I also own the 598, 600, 6XX and 58x, but As I said I know next to nothing regarding Sennheiser headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #4,312 of 4,845
You can own all sennheisers in the world, but if you never compared many pairs of same model you know nothing about how different they can sound to each other. While driver imbalance might not be a more common problem than any other brand, differences in actual tunning is something that happens more often than it should at least to my knowledge and experience, which is rather different to your 'Thruth" with big T...

Prefference has nothing to do with HD599 sharing basically the same driver with HD58X. It's not even a bad thing it just shows that both should've been priced about the same so it's a good thing that is what finally happened. The only thing sennheiser "claimed" is the fact 58X's driver is a new part number, and of course that's true, but it no way "claims" to be derived from HD6-series, while many had revelaed the Thruth it's a driver derived from HD5-series of headphones. Same built and similar tuning won't make an inferior driver to be as capable as HD6, as those are known to be more detailed, resolving, distortion-free across all frequency spectrum.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #4,313 of 4,845
You can own all sennheisers in the world, but if you never compared many pairs of same model you know nothing about how different they can sound to each other. While driver imbalance might not be a more common problem than any other brand, differences in actual tunning is something that happens more often than it should at least to my knowledge and experience, which is rather different to your 'Thruth" with big T...

Prefference has nothing to do with HD599 sharing basically the same driver with HD58X. It's not even a bad thing it just shows that both should've been priced about the same so it's a good thing that is what finally happened. The only thing sennheiser "claimed" is the fact 58X's driver is a new part number, and of course that's true, but it no way "claims" to be derived from HD6-series, while many had revelaed the Thruth it's a driver derived from HD5-series of headphones. Same built and similar tuning won't make an inferior driver to be as capable as HD6, as those are known to be more detailed, resolving, distortion-free across all frequency spectrum.

You hold the holy Truth, I resign.

Jan 2, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #4,316 of 4,845
I purchased the HD 58X a few months ago, but I never really critically listened to them enough, as the HD 600 and Elex have had the most listening time.

I'm glad I started listening to them again, because I actually like them better than the HD 600 and 650.

I never realized how similar the 58X driver is to the 598/555 drivers, but to be honest, I don't think that matters. In fact to my ears, the 58X is better extended in the bass, is faster, and has a more spacious soundstage than the HD600. Listening to tracks with some sub bass, I can actually hear and feel it, unlike the 600. I'm hearing a better controlled driver in the bass overall, it sounds punchy and tight. There's also less of a mid bass hump, so the bass is better separated and doesn't bleed into the mids like the 650 can at times. The upper mids in the presence region are very slightly recessed compared to the 600, which also gives a better sense of space. As good as the 600 is, they tend to be too much in your face with many recordings, so I overall prefer the midrange of the 58X. It sounds closer to what you would hear from a pair of speakers. The only thing I would like more of in the 58X is treble extension. They don't have quite as good airy detail compared to the 600, but with some EQ they get very close. The imaging sounds more precise on the 58X, and as a result you can better locate sounds. There's also more space to work with as the soundstage is a bit wider as well.

If I'm listening purely to instrumental/classical and recordings with little bass information, I would take the 600 over the 58X. However, with everything else as a daily driver, I prefer the 58X. With a little EQ, you can basically get the tonality of the 600 but with better bass, imaging, and soundstage. I was not expecting this at all, because the 650 and 600 have been my go to headphones for years.

These are impressions of the Ireland made 58X. I have no idea if the Romanian ones sound different.

Jan 2, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #4,317 of 4,845
Sennheiser has a new factory in Romania and it seems that the quality isnt as good as before.
2 x hd58x - 2 drivers defective. For US customers not a big deal.

That's pretty speculative based on such a small sample size. Defects happen, might just be bad luck

Jan 3, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #4,318 of 4,845
I purchased the HD 58X a few months ago, but I never really critically listened to them enough, as the HD 600 and Elex have had the most listening time.

I'm glad I started listening to them again, because I actually like them better than the HD 600 and 650.

I never realized how similar the 58X driver is to the 598/555 drivers, but to be honest, I don't think that matters. In fact to my ears, the 58X is better extended in the bass, is faster, and has a more spacious soundstage than the HD600. Listening to tracks with some sub bass, I can actually hear and feel it, unlike the 600. I'm hearing a better controlled driver in the bass overall, it sounds punchy and tight. There's also less of a mid bass hump, so the bass is better separated and doesn't bleed into the mids like the 650 can at times. The upper mids in the presence region are very slightly recessed compared to the 600, which also gives a better sense of space. As good as the 600 is, they tend to be too much in your face with many recordings, so I overall prefer the midrange of the 58X. It sounds closer to what you would hear from a pair of speakers. The only thing I would like more of in the 58X is treble extension. They don't have quite as good airy detail compared to the 600, but with some EQ they get very close. The imaging sounds more precise on the 58X, and as a result you can better locate sounds. There's also more space to work with as the soundstage is a bit wider as well.

If I'm listening purely to instrumental/classical and recordings with little bass information, I would take the 600 over the 58X. However, with everything else as a daily driver, I prefer the 58X. With a little EQ, you can basically get the tonality of the 600 but with better bass, imaging, and soundstage. I was not expecting this at all, because the 650 and 600 have been my go to headphones for years.

These are impressions of the Ireland made 58X. I have no idea if the Romanian ones sound different.
Nice impressions. How do you compare 58x against elex? Is there too much difference in SQ?I'm thinking of getting elex as an upgrade to 58x.

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #4,319 of 4,845
Nice impressions. How do you compare 58x against elex? Is there too much difference in SQ?I'm thinking of getting elex as an upgrade to 58x.

The two are actually not too different tonally, but the Elex does better technically.

Listening to them both now, there is a significant increase in bass clarity and impact with the Elex, the treble is also clearer. The drivers in the Elex have incredible technical capability, more so then probably many planar magnetics. The 58X is the warmer headphone, with a more even and smooth midrange and treble. I also think the 58X has a more natural timbre than the Elex. The Elex are slightly bright, but only a little bit brighter than the 58X. The soundstage is wider on the Elex, as to be expected with angled drivers and more open design, everything has more air. The best way I can describe the sound from the Elex, it punches you in the face with sound, haha. Everyone talks about the dynamics on the Focal headphones, but you need to hear it to believe it, they are seriously good. That being said, I personally think the 58X and 600 series Sennheisers do vocals and classical better than the Elex, that's why I keep them around.

The differences between them aren't gigantic, but the Elex has much better technical performance, so I think they are a big enough improvement to be worth it. They are on sale for $600 now by the way!

Jan 22, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #4,320 of 4,845
Case I use and like for my HD58Xs...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CVT9FQC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No need to disconnect the cable either...

i-TQcvBxf.jpg

You want to not cycle connections any more than you have to, best to leave them connected as long as possible without breaking the connection.

Thanks for sharing this

Was looking around for a case for my incoming hd 58x. Will be my second time owning this particular headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back