Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Nov 8, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #4,232 of 4,845
I have NAD Viso HP50 but I would like one more closed back headphone. So I'm thinking Classic 99 and that's it for me :)

Famous last words.:smiley:

Shane D

Nov 8, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #4,233 of 4,845
I have NAD Viso HP50 but I would like one more closed back headphone. So I'm thinking Classic 99 and that's it for me :)

You could also save a bunch going with the 99 Noir through MassDrop.

Shane D

Nov 8, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #4,235 of 4,845
I'll wait Black Friday. Maybe there will be some disscount on Meze official website.

Oh yes, I'm thinking to buy HD6xx so I can compare it to HD58x

Most people seem to love the HD6XX's, but I was not one of them.

Good luck as you dive into headphone pool. Or, is it quicksand...?:blush:

Shane D

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #4,237 of 4,845
Has anybody had the chance to compte the 99s to the Sennheiser Momentum 2 or 3 ? The Meze seem to be comparable to the wired version of the Momentum 2. I know the Moementum but haven’t had the chance to hear the Meze. In any case, it’s a better comparison than the open back HD58X.

Nov 9, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #4,238 of 4,845
I have both the classics 99 and the HD58X. To me HD58X is much better as it is an open headphone and especially when the classics uses the 3rd generation meze pads. No comparison there. It has also drivers with more technical ability.

The rankings on the phones I am currently own:

1) HD6XX (when it scales properly i.e through ifi xCan balanced, xdsd etc)

2) HD58X unfortunately not close to HD6XX in technical abilities although better in some respects thus I am speculating that the 660s is the real deal and at some point my next and hopefully last headphone for a long time. I see also significant differences in comparison between the 6XX and 58X so i believe these headphones do not sound exactly the same so someone can justify having both or even 660s.

3) 4XX has great technical abilities in some respects better than the above but when the sennheisers scaled properly are even better. Particularly the 58X driver is of modern technology and although not equal to 660s many times shows surprisingly more technical abilities than the planars with regard to some aspects of the sound

4) Meze classics 99 with 3rd generation pads. There is no comparison between open and closed headphones for me. Open are so much better so I cannot directly compare open and closed headphones.

5) Meze neo 99. With the original pads I did not like this headphone especially with house music. But I changed to velour pads and sounds better than the classics with the Meze pads. I use most this headphone since it is closed and can lie at nights on the bed sideways on the pillow to watch movies and some music something I can not do with the senns.

I am at the point that I would happily exchange two pairs of headphones for one: my classics 99 (since I am not listening to it) and 4xx for one pair of 660s but too busy to bother at this point.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #4,239 of 4,845
I have both the classics 99 and the HD58X. To me HD58X is much better as it is an open headphone and especially when the classics uses the 3rd generation meze pads. No comparison there. It has also drivers with more technical ability.

The rankings on the phones I am currently own:

1) HD6XX (when it scales properly i.e through ifi xCan balanced, xdsd etc)

2) HD58X unfortunately not close to HD6XX in technical abilities although better in some respects thus I am speculating that the 660s is the real deal and at some point my next and hopefully last headphone for a long time. I see also significant differences in comparison between the 6XX and 58X so i believe these headphones do not sound exactly the same so someone can justify having both or even 660s.

3) 4XX has great technical abilities in some respects better than the above but when the sennheisers scaled properly are even better. Particularly the 58X driver is of modern technology and although not equal to 660s many times shows surprisingly more technical abilities than the planars with regard to some aspects of the sound

4) Meze classics 99 with 3rd generation pads. There is no comparison between open and closed headphones for me. Open are so much better so I cannot directly compare open and closed headphones.

5) Meze neo 99. With the original pads I did not like this headphone especially with house music. But I changed to velour pads and sounds better than the classics with the Meze pads. I use most this headphone since it is closed and can lie at nights on the bed sideways on the pillow to watch movies and some music something I can not do with the senns.

I am at the point that I would happily exchange two pairs of headphones for one: my classics 99 (since I am not listening to it) and 4xx for one pair of 660s but too busy to bother at this point.

Wow, do you and I ever hear differently!
That is the plus of Head-Fi I suppose. This place wouldn't be any fun if we all used the same gear and we all had the same opinions.

You can't learn anything if everyone is sitting around going "I agree".:nerd:

Shane D

Nov 9, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #4,240 of 4,845
It's not just Zeos. Start at page 1 in this thread. A lot of senior members were pretty pissed on how close the 58x were to the 660. Especially given the price difference between the two.

You don't want to upset the head fi fanatics who wasted thousands of dollars only to realize that these days Mid Range DACs and headphones sound equally or better than their multi thousand dollar audio equipment that they got scammed into buying.

The most hilarious part of these 15 years I have spent in this Audiophile hobby is how people lie to themselves thinking that Burn In is real when in reality it is just their brain getting adjusted to the specific DAC or Headphones.

This German guy is probably the most professional and honest audiophile I have ever come across on the internet probably second to Audioscience website using not only his own ears but scientific evidence to disprove a number of thse Audiophile myths. He even proves how a lot of those Chi Fi stuff have fake reviews on Amazon and Ali Express etc.

Yeah so that sums it up, all the honest people can't be lying, my own ears can't be lying the HD 58x cannot be told apart in a blind test from the 600, 650 and 660s with the only exception of superior Sub Bass something open backs are not really known for which is why the HD 58x is such a gem. The reason clowns here get so upset when they get hit with the truth is because of something known as buyers remorse. The idea that they spent $500 for a HD 660 only to realize there is a $150 version of the same thing but with better sub bass. Is actually quite embarrassing so I don't blame them for being upset, however I have long known that headphones cost next to nothing to manufacture compared to the hundreds of dollars these companies charge. This is a well known fact of the audio market which is why its so lucrative.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #4,241 of 4,845
One of the biggest reason Zeos is hated so much in these here part of the web is because he easily exposes audiophile myths, he reveals the buyers remorse in people who wasted their money only to realize they got scammed by marketing. ODAC AKA Objective DAC sounds so cool, man its so cool only to realize how inferior it is compare to Topping D30 but wanna hear another cool story? Amirm the main person on Audioscience website actually revealed not long ago that his $2000 DAC and Topping D30 pretty much made no difference in real life, infact even the bad scientific results produced from the $64 FX Audio X6 DAC/AMP was actually inaudible in real life when compared to a $2000 DAC. He was shocked beyond belief how FX Audio was able to produce something like that for $64

This why Audio Science and Zeos are hated on head fi because they reveal the truth about this market.

I actually loved my HD 600 but not regretting selling it cause I always hated that lack of sub bass. Not only does my HD 58x have superior Sub BASS but it can be easily driven from my Samsung S7 Edge without the need for any sort of amp, very convenient for on the go. Everything about my HD 58x is better than either the HD 600 or 650 from price to portability to sub bass. (Yeah I use it on the Bus and couldn't care less, not using any IEM, don't like how they sound and don't like those crap in my ear canal)

If there is a headphone with a lot more audible clarity than the HD 58x I would love to find out about it. I do want to buy the Fostex X00 when next mass drop has a sale

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #4,242 of 4,845
Yeah , Zeos took a lot of heat when he reviewed the Utopia. Now people can't even get 50% back on what they paid for them new.

I've never climbed a massive scale on gear here, but I did own the HD800, and HEXv1. The two most expensive purchases I've ever made in my 10 years on here, and two of the biggest disappointments. I expected those 2 cans to blow away anything I previously owned at the time (hd600,hd650,hd700,he500,he560). That was not the case. Sold both the 800's, and HEX, and kept my 500, and 560. Some can say I just prefer those over the others, but honestly, it shouldn't even be close given the price differences. Lol

One thing I've learned is that you don't have to spend crazy money for great sound.
I would bet if you put a blindfold on a person , and swap various priced rigs and have them guess if A. B. or C. Was the most expensive. I doubt the test would surpass 60% getting it right.
That's my 2cents.

Nov 9, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #4,243 of 4,845
One thing I've learned is that you don't have to spend crazy money for great sound.
I would bet if you put a blindfold on a person , and swap various priced rigs and have them guess if A. B. or C. Was the most expensive. I doubt the test would surpass 60% getting it right.
That's my 2cents.

It’s the same as in the world of computers and gaming, the last ounce of performance is the most expensive. The difference from 2.2GHz to 2.4GHz processor speed can cost several hundred dollars. However it is also different; there is really no matter of preference or personal taste in 200MHz of extra speed..

Nov 9, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #4,244 of 4,845
Yeah , Zeos took a lot of heat when he reviewed the Utopia. Now people can't even get 50% back on what they paid for them new.

I've never climbed a massive scale on gear here, but I did own the HD800, and HEXv1. The two most expensive purchases I've ever made in my 10 years on here, and two of the biggest disappointments. I expected those 2 cans to blow away anything I previously owned at the time (hd600,hd650,hd700,he500,he560). That was not the case. Sold both the 800's, and HEX, and kept my 500, and 560. Some can say I just prefer those over the others, but honestly, it shouldn't even be close given the price differences. Lol

That's my 2cents.

The funny thing about all of this is there are headphones that cost WAY WAY more than the HD58x and has vastly inferior bass, I have not heard the HD 800 but I am willing to bet it fails in comparison to the HD58x sub bass. And the interesting thing is good Sub Bass is the most difficult thing for any speaker to reproduce considering people have reported the 58x having much better sub bass than HD 700.

The only open back headphones that has better sub bass than the HD58x is probably Planar Headphones is what I am willing to bet. And even then Fostex has a pair of Fostex TH-500RP $700 planar headphones on Amazon right now with inferior sub bass than HD58x. lol

If I raise the 30hz db on your favorite Equalizer to an insane +20 it turns my HD 58x into a set of crazy Car Audio sub woofer which no other open back dynamic headphones can compete with while still retaining a somewhat acceptable mid and high range frequency.

Make no mistake its distorted at 20db+ 30hz but the bass is scary.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #4,245 of 4,845
The funny thing about all of this is there are headphones that cost WAY WAY more than the HD58x and has vastly inferior bass, I have not heard the HD 800 but I am willing to bet it fails in comparison to the HD58x sub bass. And the interesting thing is good Sub Bass is the most difficult thing for any speaker to reproduce considering people have reported the 58x having much better sub bass than HD 700.

The only open back headphones that has better sub bass than the HD58x is probably Planar Headphones is what I am willing to bet. And even then Fostex has a pair of Fostex TH-500RP $700 planar headphones on Amazon right now with inferior sub bass than HD58x. lol
I can't speak to the 58x, but I have the 650s, and my pair of 800 and S are far superior in SQ. I still like the 650s mind you, but they don't have the resolution of Sennheiser's totl cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back