Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Oct 27, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #4,186 of 4,845
Oh, my bad... Are you using balance cable with 58x? How much it improves sq?
Yes, I'm using it balanced out of my Fiio Q5s. When going balanced, the only differences I can discern are in the bass, which becomes cleaner and more impactful, and in the soundstage, which gets ever so slightly bigger but with improved seperation. Not a huge difference, but hey, as long as your gear's balanced capable, why not use it to the fullest? Now, if I had a nice amp, would I purchase another just to run the 58x balanced? If that's your question, then no. It just so happens that the Q5s is a terrific amp with a great balanced implementation. Would you miss balanced with something like a XDuoo XD-05 Plus (If we're still talking portable)? Probably not.

Oct 27, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #4,187 of 4,845
Yes, I'm using it balanced out of my Fiio Q5s. When going balanced, the only differences I can discern are in the bass, which becomes cleaner and more impactful, and in the soundstage, which gets ever so slightly bigger but with improved seperation. Not a huge difference, but hey, as long as your gear's balanced capable, why not use it to the fullest? Now, if I had a nice amp, would I purchase another just to run the 58x balanced? If that's your question, then no. It just so happens that the Q5s is a terrific amp with a great balanced implementation. Would you miss balanced with something like a XDuoo XD-05 Plus (If we're still talking portable)? Probably not.
I'm thinking of getting N5ii and balanced cable for my Hd58x by calling it a day, as stacking isn't my thing. What you say?

Oct 27, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #4,188 of 4,845
I'm thinking of getting N5ii and balanced cable for my Hd58x by calling it a day, as stacking isn't my thing. What you say?
Well, DAPs aren't my thing, so I can't really comment on this one. If you think it's a good DAP for what you want and you decide to get it, then yes, balanced makes sense. Don't buy something just to go balanced though. Buy the best thing you can for your budget and then add a balanced cable if needed. Don't cut corners on your source device to get a balanced cable either. If you can fit one in your budget, cool, if not, blow it all on the source.

Quick sidenote, stacking isn't my thing either. But with the Q5s connected to my phone via bluetooth, I'm in heaven. No wires, great sound, all the power I need in my pocket... If one can stomach the price, it's a very worthwhile investment for portable audio.

Oct 27, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #4,189 of 4,845
Well, DAPs aren't my thing, so I can't really comment on this one. If you think it's a good DAP for what you want and you decide to get it, then yes, balanced makes sense. Don't buy something just to go balanced though. Buy the best thing you can for your budget and then add a balanced cable if needed. Don't cut corners on your source device to get a balanced cable either. If you can fit one in your budget, cool, if not, blow it all on the source.

Quick sidenote, stacking isn't my thing either. But with the Q5s connected to my phone via bluetooth, I'm in heaven. No wires, great sound, all the power I need in my pocket... If one can stomach the price, it's a very worthwhile investment for portable audio.
Don't you think Bluetooth is the weak link here, as it can't replace wired connection?

Oct 27, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #4,190 of 4,845
Don't you think Bluetooth is the weak link here, as it can't replace wired connection?
Not from what I'm hearing. I (and many other Q5s owners, assuming your phone has proper bluetooth implementation, with LDAC or Apt-X HD and, preferably, bluetooth 5.0) can't distinguish between bluetooth and wired on the Q5s. Does it sound better wired? Sure, in theory. But blindfold me and hold a gun to my head and I wouldn't be able to tell a difference if my life depended on it.

Oct 28, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #4,191 of 4,845
Oh, my bad... Are you using balance cable with 58x? How much it improves sq?

I went for a KK cable 2.5 TRRS, to use it with a xdp-300r and xdp-30r, and for the 4.4 output of the wm1a Im using an Fiio Adapter. I found a better SQ cause the balanced output on those DAP is almost mandatory, giving more detail, presence and power due to the amplification improvement and the usage of the twin dac benefit.

Oct 28, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #4,192 of 4,845
Have not used or heard a Darkvoice.

Went closed-back with wood cups and Yaxi Alcantara pads. Made it darker sounding, but also more spacious, warmer and fuller sounding, and a better low end presence with smoother sound and same detail. They've pretty much replaced my TH-X00 Purplehearts...subbass master but in a darker, more pleasing sound with better, less fatiguing highs. They do everything well though... vocals are some of my favorite in a headphone (though not as forward as on the Porta Pro with Yaxi pads) and there is no lack of detail in the highs even though they are a little relaxed.

With EQ and on the Garage 1217 Project Ember sounds absolutely beautiful - supposed to be listening to my new Kaldas RR1 but would much rather listen to the HD58X on the Project Ember amp with the JJ Electronic 12BH7-A tube... that amp is something else. I've pretty much decided to eventually sell my Gustard H10 amps after the short time I've spent thusfar with the Ember... I want to try the Garage 1217 Project Polaris before getting rid of them first to see if it will work for some of my other headphones that don't quite like 'tubification' - mainly the DT-177X GO.

i-xcfhwmr.jpg

I was looking for the Project Ember amp with any result :frowning2:. Thanks for the mod explanation.

Oct 28, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #4,196 of 4,845
Damaging?? It means fiio L26 adapter is that dangerous?

It is not dangerous when used properly.

From what I understand, you mean to plug the adapter to a regular 3.5mm cable (unbalanced), and plug the 2.5mm to a 2.5 balanced dac or amp, right?

That's what can damage your equipment, plugging an unbalanced cable to a balanced source. The fact that you use a simple adaptor doesn't change the fact that the initial cable is still umbalanced.

Oct 29, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #4,198 of 4,845
It is not dangerous when used properly.

From what I understand, you mean to plug the adapter to a regular 3.5mm cable (unbalanced), and plug the 2.5mm to a 2.5 balanced dac or amp, right?

That's what can damage your equipment, plugging an unbalanced cable to a balanced source. The fact that you use a simple adaptor doesn't change the fact that the initial cable is still umbalanced.
Right. But then why fiio has device l26 in the first place. I guess it is intended to use with unbalanced cable. What is the proper usage?

Nov 4, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #4,200 of 4,845
Well, yes, the intended use is converting a 3.5mm TRSS balanced cable to be able to be connected into a 2.5mm balanced output.

Actually the FiiO L26 is 2.5mm TRRS Female to 3.5mm TRS Male. The purpose of the adapter if to connect headphones with balanced 2.5mm to an unbalanced 3.5mm source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back