Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Oct 15, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #4,156 of 4,845
these, or HD600?
Like aisalen mentioned, depends on your choice of amp. I’ve seen few portable ones that can drive the HD600 properly/to my liking. No DAP has been able to do that either. The cheapeast amp that can drive the HD600 in my book is the Burson Fun.
The HD58x goes with anything, including laptops and phones (phones not too loud though). It goes well with DAPs too, my recommendation is the Hiby R3.

As for sound sig the HD600 is more neutral and open. HD58X is more upbeat, more bass and tamer trebles. But no doubt they are siblings

Oct 20, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #4,157 of 4,845
only thin i dont like with hte head phones are the compatibility with my small neck i have changed 4 cables till now (and its not even 1 year complete) looking for 5th one cuz the cable gets kinked at the joint whenever i use the headphone! this is my 5th sennheiser never wasted that much for cables my headphone use is 24x7 if someone can help me out of this pickle please help thanks in advance :)

Oct 21, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #4,158 of 4,845
Like aisalen mentioned, depends on your choice of amp. I’ve seen few portable ones that can drive the HD600 properly/to my liking. No DAP has been able to do that either. The cheapeast amp that can drive the HD600 in my book is the Burson Fun.
The HD58x goes with anything, including laptops and phones (phones not too loud though). It goes well with DAPs too, my recommendation is the Hiby R3.

As for sound sig the HD600 is more neutral and open. HD58X is more upbeat, more bass and tamer trebles. But no doubt they are siblings
I guess new daps like M11, R5 etc with powerful amp stage are capable enough to drive hd600 and the like.

Oct 23, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #4,160 of 4,845
Hi guys,

Can anyone compare soundstage od HD58x vs HD6xx?

Thanks!

I wrote a post on my impressions on HD58X vs HD6XX some time ago, among other things describing the differences I hear in soundstage:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mas...ew-measurements.867972/page-120#post-14434592

In short, the HD6XX, while not necessarily wider than the HD58X, feels like it has more room and space, maybe it could be described as ”taller”. With the HD58X the feeling, contrary to being in the front crowd with HD6XX, becomes more like being on stage but in the middle of a band standing more or less on a straight line.

That’s my take on it anyway :)

Oct 24, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #4,161 of 4,845
I wrote a post on my impressions on HD58X vs HD6XX some time ago, among other things describing the differences I hear in soundstage:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mas...ew-measurements.867972/page-120#post-14434592

In short, the HD6XX, while not necessarily wider than the HD58X, feels like it has more room and space, maybe it could be described as ”taller”. With the HD58X the feeling, contrary to being in the front crowd with HD6XX, becomes more like being on stage but in the middle of a band standing more or less on a straight line.

Thanks for the reply!

I have listened my HD58X for 10+ hours and I'll write my short impression.

My setup is Marantz PM6004 > HRT Music Streamer II > HD58X

Soundstage is a little small for a open back headphone. It seems fore like a closed headphone to me, but it is very deep If that makes any sense. It is very realistic which i like. Soundstage on HD598 that I owned was way to wide and unrealistic. I watched some movies with HD58X and for the movies I wish the soundstage was 15-20% wider. For the music it is ok.

Female vocals like Norah Jones, Adele, Amy Winehouse is great but sometimes the female voice was little pearcing to my ears. Maybe I was listening to loud? I don't now.

For metal music I prefer my NAD Viso HP50 over HD58x because sound on NAD is just a little more energetic.

For rock music like Pink Floyd these headphones are great! The bass is absolutely fantastic! Songs like One of these days, Money... Just amazing! Bass is perfect!

But where these headphones shine the most is electronic/rap/hip-hop/pop music. Last night I played Depeche Mode. OMG the sound was mind blowing. These cans can kick hard! Then I played some Massive Attack to test the bass more and songs like Karmacoma, I mean, I was just lost for words. Then I played St Germain, just amazing! I couldn't stop listening to the music last night.

These cans can kick hard!

If I would improve something, I wish the soundstage is 15% wider, and that the treble is just little more smooth. But nothing is perfect I guess.

Anyways HD58X are just fantastic headphones overall.

There is just one concern to me. They are a little fatiguing for my ears. I don't know is it because I was listening to loud or what?
Is it because I don't have dedicated amp for headphones? Maybe my Marantz is overpowering the headphones?

I like the sound as it is, just they are little fatiguing for me. What would I get if i buy dedicated amp?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #4,162 of 4,845
Hi all!

My setup of yesterday:

1.- xdp-30r - (3.5mm line out to RCA) JDS O2 - HD58x with DSD and MQA files.
2.- Sony WM1A - Fiio BL 44 - KK balanced cable 2.5mm.

I can say that the clarity, presence, image, soundstage of the Jubilee is much better in the combo number 1. My WM1a does not have more than 500 h of usage so the SQ can be improved as I know... let see in the future.

Oct 24, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #4,163 of 4,845
Thanks for the reply!

Soundstage is a little small for a open back headphone. It seems fore like a closed headphone to me, but it is very deep If that makes any sense. It is very realistic which i like. Soundstage on HD598 that I owned was way to wide and unrealistic. I watched some movies with HD58X and for the movies I wish the soundstage was 15-20% wider. For the music it is ok.

Female vocals like Norah Jones, Adele, Amy Winehouse is great but sometimes the female voice was little pearcing to my ears. Maybe I was listening to loud? I don't now.

For metal music I prefer my NAD Viso HP50 over HD58x because sound on NAD is just a little more energetic.

For rock music like Pink Floyd these headphones are great! The bass is absolutely fantastic! Songs like One of these days, Money... Just amazing! Bass is perfect!

But where these headphones shine the most is electronic/rap/hip-hop/pop music. Last night I played Depeche Mode. OMG the sound was mind blowing. These cans can kick hard! Then I played some Massive Attack to test the bass more and songs like Karmacoma, I mean, I was just lost for words. Then I played St Germain, just amazing! I couldn't stop listening to the music last night.

If I would improve something, I wish the soundstage is 15% wider, and that the treble is just little more smooth. But nothing is perfect I guess.

There is just one concern to me. They are a little fatiguing for my ears. I don't know is it because I was listening to loud or what?
Is it because I don't have dedicated amp for headphones? Maybe my Marantz is overpowering the headphones?

I like the sound as it is, just they are little fatiguing for me. What would I get if i buy dedicated amp?

Thanks!

Listening to a pair of headphones through a stereo amp’s headphone socket is most of the time not optimal. The amp is not dedicated to the headphone and the output impedance of most stereo or multichannel receivers is very high (in the 200-400 ohms range). This will boost lower frequencies too much and will veil the mids and highs.
I suggest that you use a dedicated headphone amp, many can be found for 100$ or so, like the Schiit Magni 3 or the JDS Atom or the venerable O2 amp manufactured under open license by a few manufacturers (JDS, Massdrop etc.). These headphone amps have output impedance typically under 2 ohms. This will help restore the frequency response balance. The HD58X will still have deep bass, but it will feel less bloated, less veiled, more opened and transparent (it will feel a bit wider and airy). Remember the rule of thumb: the impédance of a headphone should always be 8x the output impedance of the amp driving it. In the case of these dedicated amps, the 150 ohms rating of the HD58X is many times higher than 8x the output impedance of these amps (typically under 1 or 2 ohms). In the case if your Marantz amp, I would bet the output impedance is even higher than the impedance of the HD58X, this not respecting the 8:1 rule... your Marantz doesn’t have a dedicated amp circuit for headphones. It probably uses the main amp and adds a big fat resistor to bring down the output volume to headphone standards, and at the same time increasing the output impedance to excessive levels (200-400 ohms range typically). Hope that helps

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #4,164 of 4,845
Listening to a pair of headphones through a stereo amp’s headphone socket is most of the time not optimal. The amp is not dedicated to the headphone and the output impedance of most stereo or multichannel receivers is very high (in the 200-400 ohms range). This will boost lower frequencies too much and will veil the mids and highs.
I suggest that you use a dedicated headphone amp, many can be found for 100$ or so, like the Schiit Magni 3 or the JDS Atom or the venerable O2 amp manufactured under open license by a few manufacturers (JDS, Massdrop etc.). These headphone amps have output impedance typically under 2 ohms. This will help restore the frequency response balance. The HD58X will still have deep bass, but it will feel less bloated, less veiled, more opened and transparent (it will feel a bit wider and airy). Remember the rule of thumb: the impédance of a headphone should always be 8x the output impedance of the amp driving it. In the case of these dedicated amps, the 150 ohms rating of the HD58X is many times higher than 8x the output impedance if these amps (typically under 1 or 2 ohms). In the case if your Marantz amp, I would bet the output impedance is even higher than the impedance of the HD58X, this not respecting the 8:1 rule... your Marantz doesn’t have a dedicated amp circuit for headphones. It probably uses the main amp and adds a big fat resistor to bring down the output volume to headphone standards, and at the same time increasing the output impedance to excessive levels (200-400 ohms range typically). Hope that helps

I'm planning the get headphone amp but I'll wait for the black friday. Maybe some good deal comes up. I'll probably buy JDS Labs Atom.
Can it be that my ears are fatiguing because of the stereo amp, or maybe that's because these headhones are just that way?

I'm really loving HD58x but also curious about HD6xx. Hmmmm....

Oct 24, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #4,165 of 4,845
I'm planning the get headphone amp but I'll wait for the black friday. Maybe some good deal comes up. I'll probably buy JDS Labs Atom.
Can it be that my ears are fatiguing because of the stereo amp, or maybe that's because these headhones are just that way?

I'm really loving HD58x but also curious about HD6xx. Hmmmm....

i own both and love them equally. The HD6xx has far better smoother more natural mids. The timbre if the voices is far more natural and less shouty. But for electronic music or music with deep bass notes the HD58X is more dynamic, more fun. Both of them are good all rounders, each of which has their own subtle differences.

Oct 24, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #4,167 of 4,845
I think there true potential can be unleashed by a capable dap like m11, N6ii, Dx200 etc or a dedicated amp is must?

I’m not into DAP but I can only guess that if your DAP is optimized for headphone usage therefore the output impedance should be low and the match with high impedance headphones such as HD58X should be good, provided that the output voltage and total power capabilities of your DAP is sufficient for your listening level habits.

Oct 24, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #4,168 of 4,845
You can try removing the foam from the grills. For me personally, it opened the soundstage , and helped the imaging. Didn't change the FR at all.
Thanks for the reply!

Thanks!

Oct 24, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #4,169 of 4,845

I get fatigue when either listening too loud or if there’s too much treble. Try lowering the volume just a tad when feeling fatigue and see if that helps.

I suggest that you use a dedicated headphone amp, many can be found for 100$ or so, like the Schiit Magni 3 or the JDS Atom or the venerable O2 amp

+1 to this, getting a dedicated headphone amp can improve the sound because of the reasons described, and perhaps also alleviate that fatigue if it comes because of an unbalanced sound (that may in turn be caused by impedance mismatch etc).

That said, I’m not sure I understand your listening setup correctly, you wrote earlier that you listen to the Marantz through an HRT MusicStreamer that then is connected to the HD58X?

What I can find on the MusicStreamer is that it is a DAC only, without an amplifier in it. Listening directly to a DAC, although possible, is not recommended (DACs carry a very high output impedance and are not built to drive current through a low impedance load like headphones).

I'm really loving HD58x but also curious about HD6xx.

The HD6XX is a great headphone, and as you like the HD58X I’ll bet you’ll like it as well. Especially since you’d like a larger soundstage, which, to my ears the HD6XX has. But unlike the HD58X, which will run fine on the headphone out of a computer, the HD6XX really needs a dedicated headphone amp to open up. An amp like Magni works fine, but it will improve with something like an Asgard or Lyr.

Aside: Yes, I’m talking a lot of Schiit here (Magni, Asgard, Lyr), but as you can see in my signature, I’m full of it.
Schiit I mean :relaxed:

Oct 24, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #4,170 of 4,845
I get fatigue when either listening too loud or if there’s too much treble. Try lowering the volume just a tad when feeling fatigue and see if that helps.

+1 to this, getting a dedicated headphone amp can improve the sound because of the reasons described, and perhaps also alleviate that fatigue if it comes because of an unbalanced sound (that may in turn be caused by impedance mismatch etc).

That said, I’m not sure I understand your listening setup correctly, you wrote earlier that you listen to the Marantz through an HRT MusicStreamer that then is connected to the HD58X?

What I can find on the MusicStreamer is that it is a DAC only, without an amplifier in it. Listening directly to a DAC, although possible, is not recommended (DACs carry a very high output impedance and are not built to drive current through a low impedance load like headphones).

The HD6XX is a great headphone, and as you like the HD58X I’ll bet you’ll like it as well. Especially since you’d like a larger soundstage, which, to my ears the HD6XX has. But unlike the HD58X, which will run fine on the headphone out of a computer, the HD6XX really needs a dedicated headphone amp to open up. An amp like Magni works fine, but it will improve with something like an Asgard or Lyr.

Aside: Yes, I’m talking a lot of Schiit here (Magni, Asgard, Lyr), but as you can see in my signature, I’m full of it.
Schiit I mean :relaxed:

I'm not sure what I wrote :)
My setup is:
Asus N56VZ > HRT Music Streamer II > Marantz PM6004 > HD58X

I think HD58X are fantastic cans, love the sound! Just If I could get rid of the fatigue.
I was just wondering about HD6XX soundstage. If it is a little wider maybe I should try the also

Users who are viewing this thread

Back