Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jul 10, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #1,291 of 4,844
............I've never heard of the K7XXs being called the poor man's HD800s but I'm poor and I have the K7XX so I'll take it.
It was the advent of the K712s where the newer pads brought more body and bass to the table than all the previous K700 series....excluding the similar sounding Annies which the K7XX are modeled after... but with the newer 712 pads....so that K7XXs with their wider sound-stage sounded IMHO much closer to the 800Ss than Senns own 600/650s. : )

Haven’t even had a chance to get the HD6XXs burnt in and these show up to lean with the big boys….previously had the K712s and going from memory the “Red’s” appear to be the exact same headphone, with a slightly better fit (less loose)…again going from memory… And as I noted in my K712 review awhile back “When AKG meets Sennheiser and vise versa” in contrast to their initial release back in 2003 the current AKG K7 and Sennheiser HD6 series appear to be getting closer than ever to sounding similar..... the AKG having a bit more base extension and bloom.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k712-pro/reviews/11476
May be just my imagination but I'm finding these K7XX's a more balanced/ satisfying listen over my previous K712s, sort of the poor mans HD800S, much more so than the HD6XXs I also have on hand....direct comparisons between the 7xx and 800S obviously show the superiority of the Sennheiser technology but a few minutes on my head and all is forgotten. Nice headphone IMHO
wink.gif

Anyway...I regress....back to the wonderful sounding HD58Xs.

Jul 10, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #1,292 of 4,844
Finally…..eh!

Funny…. coincidentally I’m just doing a comparison between the HD58X and my K7XX (same as my previously owned the 712s)….IMHO I wouldn’t write off the AKGs too hastily as they survived being ousted by a pair of HD6XXs and a more recent pair of HD650s.

Driven off a sApII head-amp with a Fiio X3II as source both headphones sound fine but different, the AKG produce more air and distinction between instrumentation, the Senns are more homogenized in terms of tonal recognition making them super smooth and a comfortable listen…so a little less challenging overall.

Also, the HD58X I would say, for the same reason produces a fuller and slightly richer sounding midrange but some may prefer the slightly sparser but better defined outlines of the K7XXs.

When properly driven both phones produce very acceptable bass extension and impact, evident when listening to Micky Hart's "Planet Drum"

The biggest difference between the two is the overall presentation…the HD58X continue the closer and more intimate forwardness of the 600 series while the AKGs are more distant, V shaped but not overly so… I call them the poor man’s HD800s. : )

Personally preferences aside IMHO they are both very good and affordable offerings...

The K712 and K7XX are a little different, I owned both at the same time and compared them directly, they sound different, the K712 is more forward and aggressive in the upper mids and drier sounding, the K7XX is more relaxed in the mids and slightly more v-shaped. The K7XX was based off the K702 65th Anniversary(in which there are two versions, the older ones had shallower pads, the newer ones had K712 pads) not the K712. Comparing the two is like comparing the HD 600 and HD 650, similar yet a bit different.The K7XX/K702 65th Anniversary is basically a Q701 with different pads and outer grill, they have some foam under the outer grill whereas the K712 does not, this foam changes their character, they sound drier without it and it alters the soundstage/imaging. There was also a difference in fit and materials due to the different manufacturing locations, my K7XX(First Edition, so the original batch) had a looser fit and was a little cheaper feeling. They could also be slightly differently tuned.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #1,293 of 4,844
I finally have the 580s and 600s to make a direct comparison but the best Headphone amp I have is still not good enough to make a fair comparison .

I'm shocked how well the jubilees do straight from the imac or the cmoy and iPhone .

the HD-6XX will have to really impress to out perform these

Jul 10, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #1,294 of 4,844
It was the advent of the K712s where the newer pads brought more body and bass to the table than all the previous K700 series....excluding the similar sounding Annies which the K7XX are modeled after... but with the newer 712 pads....so that K7XXs with their wider sound-stage sounded IMHO much closer to the 800Ss than Senns own 600/650s. : )

Anyway...I regress....back to the wonderful sounding HD58Xs.
Thanks for your comments; no need to regress. :) As I mentioned before in my earlier impressions, while the K7XX does have the wider soundstage, I did like the imaging (or, what I believe people refer to as "imaging") on the 58X was still good. I watched a scene in Hacksaw Ridge where the bullets were flying with the 58X and boy, did I feel like I knew where those bullets were zinging from. The bass was also nice for those artillery hits too. But you're right, the K7XX and HD58X seem to me to have much in common (in a good way, to me). Now that someone else has said it, I feel like the thought itching at the back of my mind has found a voice.

Jul 10, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #1,295 of 4,844
77DFEAB9-2AA4-4F9B-B061-73CB742389F7.jpeg
I’m looking forward to trying my 58X with video games. Hopfully tonight. My previous to go cans were the AKG 7XX for the soundstage. I have two games that have excellent soundtracks to test them on. REZ Infinite and Wipreout Omega; both are heavily focused on music, with Rez gameplay impacting the song in real time.
739DED5C-A7A4-4028-9A81-784A36374FA8.png

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #1,296 of 4,844

I’m looking forward to trying my 58X with video games. Hopfully tonight. My current to go cans were the AKG 7XX for the soundstage. I have two games that have excellent soundtracks to test them on. REZ Infinite and Wipreout Omega; both are heavily focused on music, with Rez gameplay impacting the song in real time.

I've been trying to do the same (comparisons in video games, that is). I played a bit of Assassins Cred: Black Flag and both did favorably well. I also played a bit of Payday: The Heist with my brother and sister and again, both did favorably. Hard to say which I like better. I'm looking forward to trying a more modern game, hopefully one with a more advanced sound engine. Mass Effect Andromeda should do the job. Oh, and Nier: Automata. I don't play anything really competitive where directional cues play a factor, i.e. the Rainbow Six: Siege and Battlefield 1 games of this world. Might be interesting to try those. I saw someone mention that these were good for Siege in picking up cues so I'll have to take his word for it.

Jul 10, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #1,297 of 4,844
Yeah, totally. I'm talking more about reproducing acoustic piano, trumpet, vibraphone, human voice etc more realistically and transparently - probably 58X might be better for playing back Tool, that's not really my thing. Enjoy.

That’s actually the reason I prefer the 58X. The 600 is less adept at conveying dynamics and the power of those instruments. I’ve been sometimes underwhelmed by the 600 during a piano concerto. Same for passages during Carmina Burana...especially the more dynamic parts of O Fortuna.

I just find the 58X to be simply better overall, and more suited to more genres.

Jul 10, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #1,299 of 4,844
That’s actually the reason I prefer the 58X. The 600 is less adept at conveying dynamics and the power of those instruments. I’ve been sometimes underwhelmed by the 600 during a piano concerto. Same for passages during Carmina Burana...especially the more dynamic parts of O Fortuna.

I just find the 58X to be simply better overall, and more suited to more genres.

Sure the 58X has more 'weight' to it's sound, I just find that obfuscates the tonal quality of instruments and hence sounds less authentic. What I also find is that the 58X has more of a thumbprint on the music i.e. it imposes it's 'sound' making recordings less individual, more homogenised.
This is just the way my ear/brain hears it, obviously there are many divergent opinions and the 58X ticks the right boxes for many listeners. Enjoy.

Jul 10, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #1,300 of 4,844
First time weighing since I got these late last week. Enjoyed them stock, but found the bass a bit intrusive. Since making a trip to the craft store today and installing Creatology foam behind the drivers, I'm finding them exquisitely balanced; at times, I wonder if I might like just a touch more rumble in the bass (though it's tight and extended) or a hint more excitement up top, but I suspect that I would find either of those changes fatiguing in the long run. A very easy headphone to listen to, and a great all rounder. Modded, and from memory, I would be hard pressed to choose between these and the HD 6xxs I owned in the past. I do prefer them to the HD 600s, which I always found a tad bit strident in the upper mids.

A word to the wise: if you do get the foam, don't make the mistake I did. I accidentally purchased the adhesive foam instead of just the regular foam. The adhesive foam sounded a little more closed in, since the gummy adhesive was over the hole in the middle of the driver. Using regular foam plus double-sided tape cut into a ring sounds better.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #1,301 of 4,844
His was creatology stiffened eco-fi (recycled plastic bottles) but it was 50/50 poly/acrylic where all I could find was the eco-fi 100% poly. Try different things and see what you like best. That's the most important thing at the end of the day. A big part of modding is experimenting and tweaking things more to subjective preferences. There was a "Classic Eco-fi" felt I bought at a Wal Mart that isn't stiffened. It tamed the mid bass a bit but left more of the original tuning. Might be a nice middle ground.

I played around with a couple felt sheets from Michaels. It was very interesting. I got 3 different sheets: 2 sheets of Creatology Stiff Red and 1 sheet of Basic Red. All were 85% poly / 15% acrylic. The red stiff sheets were thinner than the 100% poly of other colors. Also, I picked up 2 stiff sheets because one was less dense than the other (you could see through one more than the other). They sounded slightly different, but the effect was as expected. Less midbass = increased perception of soundstage/air.

I guess my conclusion is that it doesn't matter if you pick up an old 50/50 sheet because the density will likely vary as well. Also, for those in the US, a quarter is the perfect template for the felt. The permanent tape I used is very far from being permanent (which is ideal), it's cheap and easy to use.

https://www.michaels.com/recollections-double-sided-mounting-squares-permanent/M10023757.html

https://www.michaels.com/creatology-stiffened-felt/M10153985.html

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #1,305 of 4,844
I don't understand why anyone loves any of these cans, literally no soundstage, which is where all the fun is for me, but audio is very subjective at end of day.

Soundstage is useless if the timbre, dynamics, frequency response isn't up to the task. You really can't have everything with headphones unless you go way up in price. I have some headphones that have soundstage for miles but they're colored beyond belief and they have no bass. Great for very low dynamic acoustic music but not much else.

Most of us want a dynamic headphone that gets the timbre of the instruments right and portays the nuances if a bass drum, an upright bass or the crunch of an electric guitar and does justice to the human voice in an engaging but close to accurate way that pulls you into the recording.

If soundstage is so important to you get some speakers. You can have it all with speakers If you spend the $$$$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back