Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jul 10, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #1,277 of 4,845
I don't understand why anyone loves any of these cans, literally no soundstage, which is where all the fun is for me, but audio is very subjective at end of day.

When I listen to Ellington with my HD600 it's like I'm there in the room with him. Very 3D soundstage. Yeah I guess it is subjective.

Jul 10, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #1,278 of 4,845
I don't understand why anyone loves any of these cans, literally no soundstage, which is where all the fun is for me, but audio is very subjective at end of day.

It's great for a complimentary headphone. Headphones that excell at soundstage, lack in detail -- you can't have both. It comes down to preference, but to counter that, some people only want one headphone; sacrifices will be made.

Jul 10, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #1,279 of 4,845
It's great for a complimentary headphone. Headphones that excell at soundstage, lack in detail -- you can't have both. It comes down to preference, but to counter that, some people only want one headphone; sacrifices will be made.

I would like to throw in the HD800. Perhaps the largest soundstaging headphone (though some say a bit artificially) and also renown for being a detail monster :p

Jul 10, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #1,280 of 4,845
I would like to throw in the HD800. Perhaps the largest soundstaging headphone (though some say a bit artificially) and also renown for being a detail monster :p

It seems very high-end headphones can combat these restrictions best, but never abosolute. If my memory serves correct, the HD 800 S improves in detail, but loses some soundstage.

Jul 10, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #1,281 of 4,845
Just got mine. The sound signature is really, really close to HD 595. Using my AE-5 as source the sound stage seems to be about as wide if not even wider (O2 would totally ruin it for sure though, like it does with HD 595 and K712 Pro). Zero complains regarding that - it sounds really natural and imaging is great too. AE-5's low gain is more than enough for these. These aren't that much less sensitive than HD 595 in practice.

Everything seems just tiny a bit more refined and detailed. I'm really happy with these right out of the box. Drums sound great, highs have sharpness without sibilance. Perfect next step over my old trusty HD 595. So much better than my AKG K712 Pro.

Also the build quality is just perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #1,282 of 4,845
This morning the long wait ended, delivered.

Listened for about two hours via the FiiO X7 MKII performing its duty as DAC connected to computer with line out to Violectric V100 headphone amp.
Why i use a DAP as DAC : previous dac went dead past week, new one is on the way Gustard X20pro, delivery later this week, both the FiiO and the Gustard share the same dac chip the es9028pro, the Gustard double configuarion dac.

First impressions, these 58X sounds like a mix between the Senn 660s and the Philips Fidelio X2
Compared to the Senn 660s the 58X has more lower end, slightly recessed mids and slightly more present in the treble department.
Compared to the Philips X2 the 58X has less bass but better defined, more detailed mids and a bit more present and better detailed treble present.

IMO the Senn 58X jubilee and the 660s have a more fun factor listening to compared to the Senn 650, a headphone that never could engage me much. I agree with member Anarion even better than the AKG 712 pro.

Will give more impressions when burned in and connected to the Gustard X20pro.

For now, i'm impressed with the sound at this price range.

Ps : age 60, male.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #1,283 of 4,845
I have to say these have exceeded my expectations but still can not wait till I get a decent amp to see how they perform with a bit more behind them than my home made cmoy

Jul 10, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #1,284 of 4,845
That was my initial impression as well, but after several days of burn in that is changing quite a bit. The upper mids are coming out more, and the treble is sounding sharper and the headphone overall is sounding very dynamic and spacious with impressive separation of instruments and layers.

I fed my HD58X music for 6 straight days and what you describe is pretty much what I'm hearing now. It sounds quite balanced compared to what I heard earlier on. Bass isn't as thick as it originally sounded, instead it sounds very good in a measured (normal) way. I really like these headphones and the price is phenomenal.

Jul 10, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #1,285 of 4,845
Could someone briefly compare the HD58X with an AKG K701 ? I currently have a K701 and I find it a little bright. The K701 has pretty darn good bass extension but quantity is lacking. Sigh. I miss my Fidelio X2s which I impulsively sold..Still, if the HD58X can give me some off that low-end back then I will finally open the HD58X box that was delivered a few days ago :D

Jul 10, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #1,286 of 4,845
Just got mine. The sound signature is really, really close to HD 595. Using my AE-5 as source the sound stage seems to be about as wide if not even wider (O2 would totally ruin it for sure though, like it does with HD 595 and K712 Pro). Zero complains regarding that - it sounds really natural and imaging is great too. AE-5's low gain is more than enough for these. These aren't that much less sensitive than HD 595 in practice.

Everything seems just tiny a bit more refined and detailed. I'm really happy with these right out of the box. Drums sound great, highs have sharpness without sibilance. Perfect next step over my old trusty HD 595. So much better than my AKG K712 Pro.

Finally…..eh!

Funny…. coincidentally I’m just doing a comparison between the HD58X and my K7XX (same as my previously owned the 712s)….IMHO I wouldn’t write off the AKGs too hastily as they survived being ousted by a pair of HD6XXs and a more recent pair of HD650s.
AKG:Senn.JPG
Driven off a sApII head-amp with a Fiio X3II as source both headphones sound fine but different, the AKG produce more air and distinction between instrumentation, the Senns are more homogenized in terms of tonal recognition making them super smooth and a comfortable listen…so a little less challenging overall.

Also, the HD58X I would say, for the same reason produces a fuller and slightly richer sounding midrange but some may prefer the slightly sparser but better defined outlines of the K7XXs.

When properly driven both phones produce very acceptable bass extension and impact, evident when listening to Micky Hart's "Planet Drum"
Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 2.34.28 PM.png
The biggest difference between the two is the overall presentation…the HD58X continue the closer and more intimate forwardness of the 600 series while the AKGs are more distant, V shaped but not overly so… I call them the poor man’s HD800s. : )

Personally preferences aside IMHO they are both very good and affordable offerings...

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #1,287 of 4,845
Could someone briefly compare the HD58X with an AKG K701 ? I currently have a K701 and I find it a little bright. The K701 has pretty darn good bass extension but quantity is lacking. Sigh. I miss my Fidelio X2s which I impulsively sold..Still, if the HD58X can give me some off that low-end back then I will finally open the HD58X box that was delivered a few days ago :D

Unless you're enamored with the airier and more artificial sound of the K701s there is little to compare, bass on the K701s is known to be anemic and with the more intimate, richer and fuller sound of the 58Xs we're really talking apple and oranges.
Now.... if one does the bass port mod on the K701s and then add the K712 pads the gap becomes a lot less.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/reversible-akg-k701-bass-mod.660408/

But IMHO if you've an un-opened box...open it now..... I honestly believe you will be pleasantly rewarded. : )

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #1,288 of 4,845

You got them in! Congratulations! I'm glad you're liking them. You've earned it.

Funny…. coincidentally I’m just doing a comparison between the HD58X and my K7XX (same as my previously owned the 712s)….IMHO I wouldn’t right off the AKGs too hastily as they survived being ousted by a pair of HD6XXs and a more recent pair of HD650s.

Driven off a sApII head-amp with a Fiio X3II as source both headphones sound fine but different, the AKG produce more air and distinction between instrumentation, the Senns are more homogenized in terms of tonal recognition making them super smooth and a comfortable listen…so a little less challenging overall.

Also, the HD58X I would say, for the same reason produces a fuller and slightly richer sounding midrange but some may prefer the slightly sparser but better defined outlines of the K7XXs.

When properly driven both phones produce very acceptable bass extension and impact, evident when listening to Micky Hart's "Planet Drum"

The biggest difference between the two is the overall presentation…the HD58X continue the closer and more intimate forwardness of the 600 series while the AKGs are more distant, V shaped but not overly so… I call them the poor man’s HD800s. : )

Personally preferences aside IMHO they are both very good and affordable offerings...

My light comparisons of the HD58X and K7XX are similar. I'm not sure separation (didn't really listen for that) but it did seem airier. I am willing to attribute that to the lighter clamping force making it feel lighter, though. I've never heard of the K7XXs being called the poor man's HD800s but I'm poor and I have the K7XX so I'll take it.

I inadvertently ended up with a pair of Beyer DT 990 Pro's so... I guess I'll be doing more comparing then? Yeah... I guess so...

Edited to add: Decided to throw caution to the wind and bring in the 58X to work today. Can't use extraterrestrial USB devices, so only making use of the laptop DAC/AMP from the good old headphone jack. Working pretty nicely (though, somehow, this laptop jack can get really loud. Thinksound ms02 IEMs get bonkers loud with just a tiny bit of volume). I'm slowly going through my massive haul of (free) classical CDs starting with Mozart and am having a good time. Did I take the CDs only because they were free? yes. Do I especially love classical music? not really but I figure it's like eating salad: You do it because it's good for you at first but then you come to love it especially when you eat it with good dressing (like these headphones are... are they ever).

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #1,289 of 4,845
@ Rob80b
I also have sAp II Pro ,I would suggest you swap the op amp to Burson V5i-D it will fit without modification ,it's a nice upgrade for that amp and dynamics will be similar to the V6 Classic

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #1,290 of 4,845

Unless you're enamored with the airier and more artificial sound of the K701s there is little to compare, bass on the K701s is known to be anemic and with the more intimate, richer and fuller sound of the 58Xs we're really talking apple and oranges.
Now.... if one does the bass port mod on the K701s and then add the K712 pads the gap becomes a lot less.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/reversible-akg-k701-bass-mod.660408/

But IMHO if you've an un-opened box...open it now..... I honestly believe you will be pleasantly rewarded. : )
I'd go with this. The K701 and K702 are pretty bass-anemic and it kinda makes sense that they're called "poor man's HD800" (the AKG K7 wasn't that cheap many years ago).
But going to the Q701 you'd see quite some bass is added, then to the K712/K7xx it's even more bass. What makes the K7xx a bit less natural IMO is that you can still "feel" the large soundstage while the bass is quite prominent. Anyway,that added bass makes the K7xx a much easier pill to swallow.

So if you compare the K7xx and the HD58x the difference is not as prominent. But between the K701 and the HD58x... you'd tell right away that they are very different headphones, may be for different tastes even.

Another point worth noting is that the K701, K702 (and to a certain extent, the Q701) lacks bass because they are very hard to drive. Low impedance, yes, but quite low sensitivity too. I think many people on the webz already did the math and proved that the K701 is harder to driver than the HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back