Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
May 30, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #481 of 4,845
Study the graph closely. That entire boost is below 80 hz (vs. the HD650). It still rolls off as you go lower, just not as quickly. The HD58X has a dip at 85 hz (which will reduce any mid bass bloat) and from 150 hz to 800 hz roughly 1db less than the HD650. When we hear "lows creeping in the mids" it's really this low mid area that feels congested. I can't remember when I had seen a headphone increase the bass without increasing the low mids too. They didn't just avoid that, they managed to cut the low mids. Since it's a change few if any of us has seen before maybe it's hard to accept headphones can have more bass, yet be cleaner in that area that can muddy up the overall sound. Next their treble. This is crucial - nothing going on below 80 hz affects what happens above 80 hz. Even in cans with ridiculous bass and low mid quantity, those cheap Sony extra bass models you can hear at Best Buy, for example. It's the low mids at fault more than the sub bass. The treble on them is far lower than the low mid / bass levels, you get mud. We're talking 20-30 db less. On these it's 5-10 db less, and 20 hz is equal to what their average response is in the treble. I look forward to hearing this. It's hard to believe but I did find the HD650 to not only be lacking bass, the treble was as much as I could tolerate on it. These address all of those for me and others, while being far easier to drive, so you will not need a stack of gear to get more low end impact or overall level, as you do for the HD6-- series.

May 30, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #483 of 4,845
By the way, HD 6XX drop just ended... Maybe they can now concentrate on hyping the HD 58x Jubilee.

May 30, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #485 of 4,845
By the way, HD 6XX drop just ended... Maybe they can now concentrate on hyping the HD 58x Jubilee.

Yes indeed, that ship has sailed; that bridge has burned (pending another drop or 2nd hand market, of course). Part of my going in on the 58X (months-long lead time, no actual production samples, but cheaper) over the 6XX (more expensive, but proven, known quantity) was the sheer gambling nature of the purchase. I might have also caught a little bit of "early adopter" bug where I had to hear it first. I don't know how that happened... it's pretty against character all things considered. Here's hoping the end of the 6XX drop means info on 58X gets released. A few more weeks till shipping!

May 30, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #486 of 4,845
I bought in for 2 reasons. 1st: I'm a huge fan of the HD580 I own 2 pairs and is one of only two full-sized headphones I own (not counting gaming headsets) and was delighted to see it get a revival of sorts in 2018. 2nd: Sennheiser putting effort into an affordable audiophile focused product is something I want to support.

May 30, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #487 of 4,845
When I heard em at CanJam I told Christian they sounded a tad 'crispy'. They had detail and were very, very dynamic and lively, but lacking a bit of refinement. I think some extra bass will tone down the crispiness and provide an overall more balanced listen. I think drums will be a blast, they had an amazing amount of impact when I listened to some heavy sludge music (Conjurer's 'Hollow').

May 30, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #488 of 4,845
When I heard em at CanJam I told Christian they sounded a tad 'crispy'. They had detail and were very, very dynamic and lively, but lacking a bit of refinement. I think some extra bass will tone down the crispiness and provide an overall more balanced listen. I think drums will be a blast, they had an amazing amount of impact when I listened to some heavy sludge music (Conjurer's 'Hollow').
Never thought there would be a day where I’d use a HD6 for Metal, but it’s so close now... July can’t come soon enough

May 31, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #489 of 4,845
That is very motivational for most of us here. The speed and impact thing tells me the new drivers are doing something the old drivers did not. They're only slightly smaller, it's not that. These could have better excursion. This can make transients better, also causing a slight clean up above 80 hz out to 800 hz vs. the HD650. That's something a lot of the "oh no more bass" crowd might have been frightened by when they'd seen the notorious bright green graph leak from the production sample. If it's fast and clean, with slightly less low mid quantity, yes, yes it can sound cleaner / clearer, while having more sub than before.

May 31, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #490 of 4,845
That dude is a douche. He is very argumentative and rude.

Yes. Mottorad. He accused me of everything from being a Beats living plebian to being an unrefined illiterate millennial. I might not have articulated my joy at the increased low end.....along with the other POSITIVE technicalities that would result....but this guy is an angry uncooperative douche of the highest order. Seems VERY frustrated and particular. Very inflexible type of person. He disappeared from the thread weeks ago after he got flagged by several in the discussion.
I'm counting the days until these arrive. I don't want to wish the Summer away....but I can't wait until mid July.

May 31, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #491 of 4,845
Are we talking about Motorrad? Dude is a massive, angry tool.
Yep....That's him. And he thinks that's anyone that wants the increased bass response is a Neanderthal bass head with no desire of accuraye music playback. Every single one of us...to a fault.

His hang-up is that he is expecting a reissue of the original 580 while this headphone was never I tended to be a reissue but simply loosely INSPIRED. He feels cheated. There are others in the thread almost as bad but they haven't quite stopped to his subterranean levels of ignorance.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #493 of 4,845
Yes. Mottorad. He accused me of everything from being a Beats living plebian to being an unrefined illiterate millennial. I might not have articulated my joy at the increased low end.....along with the other POSITIVE technicalities that would result....but this guy is an angry uncooperative douche of the highest order. Seems VERY frustrated and particular. Very inflexible type of person. He disappeared from the thread weeks ago after he got flagged by several in the discussion.
I'm counting the days until these arrive. I don't want to wish the Summer away....but I can't wait until mid July.

Thats him. Accused me of being a Beats lover. I think he has 2 accounts so he can pretend to agree with himself. I thought I was very rational, but he just went nuts. I quit posting there gor the most part.

May 31, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #495 of 4,845
I noticed that Massdrop has casually changed the shipping date ETA from June 29 to July 31 :frowning2:
July 31 has been my shipping date from the start. I think I joined by the end of April. Seems likt they are merging shipments to save costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back