Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Dec 22, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #136 of 4,844
Omg, that June 29th 2018 shipping date... Yeah, no thanks. Not even if I had the money xD No product is worth 6+ month lead times sorry.

No Kidding. However, if payment is simply a guarantee that I'll purchase/pay (at time of shipping) as opposed to pay now wait 6-months, I have no issue. They obviously require commitment -it's completely understandable, and of course necessary/demanded by such a system/program.

Must contact Massdrop for clarification.

Cheers,

pj

Dec 22, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #138 of 4,844
No Kidding. However, if payment is simply a guarantee that I'll purchase/pay (at time of shipping) as opposed to pay now wait 6-months, I have no issue. They obviously require commitment -it's completely understandable, and of course necessary/demanded by such a system/program.

Must contact Massdrop for clarification.

Cheers,

pj
Your method of payment will be charged immediately after the drop ends. That's normal for Massdrop.

Dec 22, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #139 of 4,844
I'm just saying that what you use against Sennheiser can be used against most headphone manufacturers if one chooses to do so (Hifiman and Audeze bq issues, AKG moving production etc)......

I did gloss over (deliberately) that you used to enjoy their products 30 years ago since I didn't find it relevant. Sennheiser HD800/800S has pretty high standing in the headphones world so I really don't understand why one should dismiss them as a company. A lot of people (even surprisingly many) does also seem to enjoy the HD650 just to mention a few......

Anyway I'm looking forward to try out the HD58X sometime after next years summer holiday lol........

Sigh, this site..... The quote didn't get included in my answer but it is an answer to @allhifi

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #140 of 4,844
It's what kept me from getting the HD6XX when it originally dropped. I understand why they're doing it, but I certainly don't agree. And it will continue to dissuade me from future drops of any product with several month shipping. I'm not trying to be negative, but I don't think it's reasonable. I would rather pay $300ish for a new HD650 and have it here by the end of the week, than buy a new HD6XX for $200 and have to wait 4+ months.

But Ymmv. The money saved isnt worth the time for me, but it probably is for a lot of people.

And you're right. If payment is actually made (as opposed to it simply acting as a 'guarantor' for the purchase at time of delivery), this is not something I, nor something I'd recommend anyone to consider. Too many "What-if's" here. I believe however, "payment" is actually just an agreement to purchase -and not payment itself. Which of course is fine. it's how this 'system' works.

But rest assured, in two-weeks time. CES 2018 will unfold and reveal many more new, exciting and less costly makes/models. To me, the "first 500" serialized HD-58X's is what interests me the most -not that I expect it to outperform my Hifiman 400i's. Because it will not. That I can guarantee. lol

pj

Dec 22, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #141 of 4,844
And you're right. If payment is actually made (as opposed to it simply acting as a 'guarantor' for the purchase at time of delivery), this is not something I, nor something I'd recommend anyone to consider. Too many "What-if's" here. I believe however, "payment" is actually just an agreement to purchase -and not payment itself. Which of course is fine. it's how this 'system' works.

But rest assured, in two-weeks time. CES 2018 will unfold and reveal many more new, exciting and less costly makes/models. To me, the "first 500" serialized HD-58X's is what interests me the most -not that I expect it to outperform my Hifiman 400i's. Because it will not. That I can guarantee. lol

pj

No, it is actual payment. As in, your card is charged when the drop ends. As someone who has purchased from Massdrop several times, I can confirm this is how it works.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #142 of 4,844
If payment is actually made (as opposed to it simply acting as a 'guarantor' for the purchase at time of delivery), this is not something I, nor something I'd recommend anyone to consider. Too many "What-if's" here. I believe however, "payment" is actually just an agreement to purchase -and not payment itself. Which of course is fine. it's how this 'system' works.
No, it is actual payment. As in, your card is charged when the drop ends. As someone who has purchased from Massdrop several times, I cam confirm this is how it works.
Muffins is correct. There is no "what-if" about the payments, they will take place when the drop ends.

Dec 22, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #143 of 4,844
I'm just saying that what you use against Sennheiser can be used against most headphone manufacturers if one chooses to do so (Hifiman and Audeze bq issues, AKG moving production etc)......

I did gloss over (deliberately) that you used to enjoy their products 30 years ago since I didn't find it relevant. Sennheiser HD800/800S has pretty high standing in the headphones world so I really don't understand why one should dismiss them as a company. A lot of people (even surprisingly many) does also seem to enjoy the HD650 just to mention a few......

Anyway I'm looking forward to try out the HD58X sometime after next years summer holiday lol........

Sigh, this site..... The quote didn't get included in my answer but it is an answer to @allhifi

Let's rewind to 1998 (and the impressive HD-580, HD-580 Precision) not nearly 30, but only 22-years ago that is very relevant -since the very HD-600/ HD-58X (Massdrop) is the virtual exact headphone as the model back then -with a shittier 'headband; design than the original. (The 58X is waaay better -than 660S but remains inferior to the "two-stage" type as used by Hifiman, for example.)

Have any of you wondered why HFM, Stax (and likely Beyer, AKG) use similar designs ? Think about it. Sennhesier DID, but not anymore. Why's that ? They've discovered something better ! No. It appeals to those that equate modern/different design/aesthetic an indicator of quality and/or sophistication -the furthest from reality. But to the uninitiated, it looks "stylish" -must be modern/excellent.

There is nothing 'wrong' with the HD-650 -other than being disturbingly veiled for a model prancing/pretending to be a "hi-fi"/audiophile model. It is not. A very quick listen to a 400i (or 400s) will make this very clear. If veiled coloration is what you seek, there are an abundance of models/makes far cheaper that can (and do) offer this type of sound.

Once $3-$4-$500. + is considered, you best be very critical with what some manufacturer's decide to offer -and how it compares to class leaders.

pj

Dec 22, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #144 of 4,844
Didn't get to try my HD6XX or HD650 with the Magni3 at my friends place since he had taken the Magni3 to his office but most SS amps don't do the HD650/HD6XX justice IMO and a few other friends that have the HD650 agree with this observation. I would think the HD660S would be a better choice for use with the Magni3 since to me the Magni3 is just a bit on the warmer side of neutral and would be a better match impedance wise. As with most/all tube amps the details are in the tubes used since its possible to change the character of the sound from warm to bright on some tube amps and this is why I think many say the HD650 will scale with better gear and I'd have to agree with this point from my experiences so far. The HD660S that my friend had didn't seem to scale like the HD650/HD6XX when going from Ember > BH Crack > MicroZOTL2 / Elise / EC ZDS but on the other hand it did sound better than the HD650/6XX on HA-501, Asgard2, Galaxy S8 and iPhone 6S. Just remember that to some the differences are small and then there are others that would consider the differences huge since we all have a different scale. A huge difference to me means that even the most novice person can quickly hear a difference. The differences between the first group of tube amps is not something most novice listener will notice quickly or at all while I would hope to think that most on these threads would be able to hear the differences after spending some time with careful listening.
With the HD58X I would think it would be like the HD660S since it has a lower impedance and sound good/great on a wider range of gear than the HD600/650. I think its important that the supporting gear (DACs/amps) used with any impression should be noted since it does have an effect on how a headphone will sound along with the genre / quality of music, listening level and the individual's own hearing.

Since HD650/6XX has a unique and legendary sound signature, offering to buy HD660S or Massdrop HD58x is instead of HD650/HD6XX just because of different driving needs, came to me meaningless, and I am not speaking about prices. Those are different class headphones with different sound signatures.

But after reading lots of words about 660S and 58X, we can offer if someone wants to buy HD660S, he can easily buy 58X instead because they seem to be very similar. And price of HD58X seems to be killer point.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #147 of 4,844
Let's rewind to 1998 (and the impressive HD-580, HD-580 Precision) not nearly 30, but only 22-years ago that is very relevant -since the very HD-600/ HD-58X (Massdrop) is the virtual exact headphone as the model back then -with a ****tier 'headband; design than the original. (The 58X is waaay better -than 660S but remains inferior to the "two-stage" type as used by Hifiman, for example.)

Have any of you wondered why HFM, Stax (and likely Beyer, AKG) use similar designs ? Think about it. Sennhesier DID, but not anymore. Why's that ? They've discovered something better ! No. It appeals to those that equate modern/different design/aesthetic an indicator of quality and/or sophistication -the furthest from reality. But to the uninitiated, it looks "stylish" -must be modern/excellent.

There is nothing 'wrong' with the HD-650 -other than being disturbingly veiled for a model prancing/pretending to be a "hi-fi"/audiophile model. It is not. A very quick listen to a 400i (or 400s) will make this very clear. If veiled coloration is what you seek, there are an abundance of models/makes far cheaper that can (and do) offer this type of sound.

Once $3-$4-$500. + is considered, you best be very critical with what some manufacturer's decide to offer -and how it compares to class leaders.

pj

Have you even tried the HD700 and/or HD800S, they're both right up the top for comfort among all the headphones I've ever tried.

Once again I get the feeling that you're making assumptions about things you've never even tried. The fact that you assume that the HD58X will be worse than the HE400i is also an assumption with no evidence (so far) whatsoever......

Since you haven't even bothered filling out anything about what gear you own it's difficult to know what experience you've got.

Just to be clear: I enjoy a lot of different headphones, some made by Sennheiser other by Onkyo, Philips, Hifiman etc and have no ties whatsoever to Sennheiser. I strongly dislike people making lots of assumptions and passing judgment on things they have no experience with though......

Edit: Once again I'd like to know what other "class leaders" you think outperform the HD800S in sound and comfort?

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #148 of 4,844
Let's rewind to 1998 (and the impressive HD-580, HD-580 Precision) not nearly 30, but only 22-years ago that is very relevant -since the very HD-600/ HD-58X (Massdrop) is the virtual exact headphone as the model back then -with a ****tier 'headband; design than the original. (The 58X is waaay better -than 660S but remains inferior to the "two-stage" type as used by Hifiman, for example.)

pj
Are you talking about headband design here?

Dec 22, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #150 of 4,844
Omg, that June 29th 2018 shipping date... Yeah, no thanks. Not even if I had the money xD No product is worth 6+ month lead times sorry.

Yes, this would be a whim purchase for me, so waiting over six months is a no go. I’m sure there will be some in the classifieds after they’ve shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back