1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Dec 20, 2017.
First

Back
52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61
63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72
Next

Last
  1. peter123
    Does it have less midbass bloom compared to the HD650?

2. spacequeen7
    Received mine yesterday and want to give them few hours before start writing about initial impressions
    First thing first pads are much more firm then the pads on my HD 650's so you getting some extra ear room to avoid that annoying driver contact
    Cable is very short ,don't know how long it is a bit short for my liking ,might have to use my HD 650's cable
    Definitely Sennheiser clamp so initial stretching might apply :)
    Source in my sig
    Sound: (bear in mind both my sources are bass emphasized )
    This cans are fast and dynamic
    Bass extension is almost as good as my pre fazor LCD-2 ,20Hz region is well presented and low end in general sound well controlled
    Mids are pretty good so far (clear but not as HD 650 smooth ) should wait till they fully burn in before final call
    Highs are clear ,none fatiguing with nice sparkle
    Some on drop was mentioning lack of detail..I call it BS ,all tho this are rated 150omh they seams to come to life on high gain.

After seeing the latest graph and reading some initial impressions I was ready to sell this on the spot, I'm glad I give them a shot,this are definitely keepers
    My D50/Gustard H10 set up will love them "long time"

Cheers

3. Anarion
    There's few things that I don't quite understand when people talk about how hard X is to drive and all. If I plug in, say, my AKG K712 Pro directly to my AE-5 headphone amp out, even 10% volume at low gain (there's normal and high on top of it...) is too much for me (as in uncomfortably loud). My problem has always been that things are way too loud. I guess I don't even have to tell what kind of hell it is with HD 595s - impossible to use without volume pot (well, that does apply to K712 Pro too...).

Though, I do have rather sensitive hearing and can't handle high sound pressures well at all.

4. Rob80b
    Getting harder to guess as to what to expect....lol...and some have also reported them sounding more like the 600 & 650s......oh well....most do appear to agree that there is more bass extension, as to what type of bass I'll have to wait on see (hear).
    I was/am hoping the 58X would be closer to the 660S I had as all previous reiterations I've owned, 580s,600s, 650s,& 6XXs were all a bit too laid back and polite (forgiving) for my preferences but as they are a homage to Axel's original Jubilee from 25 years ago who knows what to expect.... accept a family resemblance. :)

Sennheiser likes this.
  5. Rob80b
    That's sort of hard to imagine but would be great as my intended use for the 58Xs is to relieve my 800S from movie viewing, buttered pop corn and an occasional spillage of beer. : )

SolaVirtus and spacequeen7 like this.
  6. Anarion
    They sound like HD 58X Jubilee. :wink:

I think it's a great thing that they have quite a few different versions that have their own sound style.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  7. spacequeen7
    I wouldn't call them hard to drive but it seams they benefit from high gain - better resolution and density and yes they can get loud so adjustable preamp on D50 comes handy (only -08.0dB tho/+12dB set on Gustard) )

Edit ; they little on the bright side but it's hard to call them bright when you have 1Ton gorilla sitting on your shoulder (low end)

8. Rob80b
    a few recent Massdrop entries......

"
    [​IMG]
    suttle.t
    12h
    I just got my HD 58X and I could not be more dissapointed. Everything you said you about the tweaks to the production are exactly what I now find lacking. Bloated bass, lacking upper midrange detail. As a recording engineer of over 40 years I have to say that these are useless as a reference tool in my work."

"
    [​IMG]
    synapticflow
    Every Sennheiser I have ever listened to has no bass. It's almost foolish how lacking they are."

"
    [​IMG]
    jotry
    9h
    Got mine today but unfortunately was not under 500 for the serial number. I would like one under 500 so back it goes."
    ???

trellus likes this.
  9. Anarion
    1x2.

:laughing:

Too much bass, no bass, everything is crap because sticker.

10. spacequeen7
    Haha,love it ..maybe they mixed the prototype with production ,I wouldn't be surprised with recent MD antics ,my serial # is 2660 if it matters

11. Rob80b
    Now I'm really looking forward to that delivery van....but as they say "Curiosity killed the cat"......and I've got 2 .....lol.

TheRH, 477621 and SolaVirtus like this.
  12. Th3Drizzl3
    so with the talk of possible mixing them and some saying theirs had no bass at all i went ahead and ordered a second pair. then ill have one to mod and one to keep stock to compare the differences between them. and possibly sell one. i had a nice credit from massdrop sitting around so i used it and brought them way down in price. i can 100% say for me if im not giving them a decent amount of power the bass is a bit meh. not terrible but they do for sure benefit from the extra power its like it lifts a sheet off of the front of them. i powered them with my jot and my polaris then my a100 and then used my phone (one plus 6) and my portable players and it def makes a difference with these.

spacequeen7 likes this.
  13. Viber
    All they need to do is look for the foam under the grill right?

14. spacequeen7
    I would wait for more feedback before making any conclusions

15. Nutsid
    The more I use the headphones, the more alive they come and the better they sound.

First

Back
52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61
63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72
Next

Last