Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Dec 21, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #46 of 4,845
This looks to me a little like Sennheiser is getting rid of overstock on old parts. They have the frame anyways, drivers seem widely exchangeable inside that frame, add some different paint and e voila here goes Massdrop. On top you are in the news again.....
Well I would say...since they all have almost similar parts so sennheiser doesn't have to RnD and make new parts separately, also that if they keep selling these more and more they can still profit same with lower margins...this setup is win-win for both company and the customer(also massdrop). I think it was massdrop who came with the great idea hence kudos to them too.

Dec 21, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #48 of 4,845
Funny stuff that one reviewer thinks that they're more or less identical to the HD660S and another feels it's WAY different :wink: I wonder if lack of qc to keep the cost down is a reason for this.......

Anyway I'm going to pick up a pair and hope that they'll turn out to be more entertaining than the quite boring HD650....

Dec 21, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #49 of 4,845
Sennheiser is not known for lack of QC.

Dec 21, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #50 of 4,845
Funny stuff that one reviewer thinks that they're more or less identical to the HD660S and another feels it's WAY different :wink: I wonder if lack of qc to keep the cost down is a reason for this.......

Anyway I'm going to pick up a pair and hope that they'll turn out to be more entertaining than the quite boring HD650....

Or it is simply the case of reviewers saying whatever thing pops into their head. Very few are qualified to do proper reviews... Most are just saying things that totally make no sense.

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #51 of 4,845
Or it is simply the case of reviewers saying whatever thing pops into their head. Very few are qualified to do proper reviews... Most are just saying things that totally make no sense.

Being a reviewer myself I'd like to think differently :wink: Don't really care much about that comment honestly as all they do is trying to contribute to the community, can't see how that's a bad thing..........

Both reviewers in this case are quite seasoned hence my question about qc.

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #52 of 4,845
Dec 21, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #55 of 4,845
Or maybe, just maybe... People have different ears *and* opinions. Terribly revolutionary thought, I know :p

LOL, fair enough but to AB two headphones and hearing them as different or similar really shouldn't leave that much room for difference......

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #56 of 4,845
I know and also know the cost of diminishing returns but I am talking in context. Till an year back everyone thought hd650 are totally worth $350 or even $500.

Fwiw it's worth i don't think the HD650 are totally worth the $200 I paid for them used :wink:

They do have a very nice midrange presentation though, that's why I keep them. For the record I also enjoy them more from my SS Burson amp than any tube setup I've tried them with.

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #57 of 4,845
Fwiw it's worth i don't think the HD650 are totally worth the $200 I paid for them used :wink:

They do have a very nice midrange presentation though, that's why I keep them. For the record I also enjoy them more from my SS Burson amp than any tube setup I've tried them with.
Yes I agree. I don't agree they are totl cans as some of friends think but this 'worthiness' came in frame since massdrop started it's collaborations with Sennheiser. With hd660s out for $500 and almost similar hd58x for $150. But Sennheiser isn't going to hurt their sales for brand new cans. So questions will fly around that is the difference between them is worth it or not?

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #58 of 4,845
Being a reviewer myself I'd like to think differently :wink: Don't really care much about that comment honestly as all they do is trying to contribute to the community, can't see how that's a bad thing..........

Both reviewers in this case are quite seasoned hence my question about qc.

I read reviews all the time, but there seems to be more and more reviewers these days. Sennheiser HD660S is a good example of totally opposite reviews. Innerfidelity does not like them at all... But this one loves them. That one loves them. And then that one hates them... So? At least based on my experience innerfidelity knows his stuff and can be trusted... How about Zeos on YouTube? Very entertaining but absolutely no clue. This is why I am becoming skeptical on reviewers these days...

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #59 of 4,845
Or maybe, just maybe... People have different ears *and* opinions. Terribly revolutionary thought, I know :p

LOL, fair enough but to AB two headphones and hearing them as different or similar really shouldn't leave that much room for difference......
I agree that different people, equipped with different ears (to collect data) and different brains (to process the data), get to different conclusions!
Too often I see later reviews repeating (in different words) earlier reviews, and wonder if the later reviewer is influenced (subconsciously) by reviews he already read himself...

Personally, I do NOT have perfect hearing nor golden ears, and occasionally find myself all alone (or almost alone) with different opinions to "everyone else". Call me an outlier, but I could never understand what people hear when listening to the Utopia... Auditioned it in 3 different CanJams / meets, on multiple HIGH-END setups, and found it anywhere between "meh / boring" to "it's OK headphone" (depending on setup). I would not buy it personally for $1,000 (let alone $4,000)... But, obviously, most other people love that headphone! (as a side note, out of the Elear, Clear, Utopia - the ONLY one I liked were the Clears. Way better than Utopia. go figure... :wink:)

So... bottom line, different people hear different things!

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #60 of 4,845
I agree that different people, equipped with different ears (to collect data) and different brains (to process the data), get to different conclusions!
Too often I see later reviews repeating (in different words) earlier reviews, and wonder if the later reviewer is influenced (subconsciously) by reviews he already read himself...

Personally, I do NOT have perfect hearing nor golden ears, and occasionally find myself all alone (or almost alone) with different opinions to "everyone else". Call me an outlier, but I could never understand what people hear when listening to the Utopia... Auditioned it in 3 different CanJams / meets, on multiple HIGH-END setups, and found it anywhere between "meh / boring" to "it's OK headphone" (depending on setup). I would not buy it personally for $1,000 (let alone $4,000)... But, obviously, most other people love that headphone! (as a side note, out of the Elear, Clear, Utopia - the ONLY one I liked were the Clears. Way better than Utopia. go figure... :wink:)

So... bottom line, different people hear different things!

I wonder if that is the case where people are being influenced by earlier impressions and reviews. Tyll’s review seemed to mirror earlier impressions I read on the HD 660 S actually. I personally have never agreed with Tyll’s reviews, my impressions are pretty much almost always different than his for as long as I’ve been in this hobby. I always appreciated his measurements more than his recommendations. As iffy people are about Zeos I think he’s onto something about not reading reviews ahead of time.

Nothing wrong with being alone in you’re impressions, it means you aren’t really influenced by others impressions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back