1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Dec 20, 2017.
First

Back
221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230
232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241
Next

Last
  1. Seazer
    I wouldn't say they are like a closed back now, the foam doesn't seal off the sound completely, it just modifies the frequency response. The sound pumped out the port is being filtered through the foam. Also I take out the stock foam that's in the cup when doing this so either way there is foam. If anything it leaks more sound with this mod lol, when playing music the sound leakage is more than I remember it from before lol. It definitely doesn't sound closed back.

The Dekoni pads are nice, they are ever so slightly deeper, but not by much, and since it is sheepskin it's less prone to deform. However without also doing this foam mod I wouldn't recommend it by itself because it darkens up the headphone a LOT, like seriously increases the bass by a significant margin. The AKG foam mod reduces the bass a lot, but the bass that is there is well preserved by the Dekoni pads because they don't absorb or leak out the bass like velour does. I haven't tried the foam mod with the stock pads because I'm satisfied with how it sounds right now, my guess is that the treble and mods will be clearer but the bass might feel lacking.
    I just find the synergy of the 2 mods satisfying. With just the Dekoni pads I had to EQ it and even then it wasn't perfect. I would either do both mods or keep it stock and use the AutoEQ github EQ, since that is what sounds the second best to me.

The sheepskin does make your ears sweat more though lol since it doesn't breathe like velour. The sweaty ears remind me a bit of my closed backs though lol. It may be nice if you are living in the path of the polar vortex though lmao

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  2. tolis626
    Heh, I was half joking about the sounding closed part. There's some open backs with some ridiculous amounts of dampening material behind them, so as long as you don't add a solid back, they should be good to go.:beerchug:

With that said, I'm more interested in the hybrid pads that are supposed to alter the sound profile of the headphones to a minimal degree. They should be both more comfortable than the stock pads and also not get sweaty like the leather ones. However, I do intend to do a closed back mod for the 58x at some point. Seeing as they're so efficient, a closed version that sounds 80% as good would be awesome. For a closed back, I'd want the leather pads, obviously. So that's why I'm glad to hear they work, even if it does take a bit of tweaking.

3. Electrolite
    Ow now I want to try this, I have the same issue with the EQ (a little hot in some areas) but this pad is expensive and plus shipping it's as much as a DAC with the AK4990 a new Koss or something like that so I'm still trying to stick to mods.

But if someday my uncle goes to Japan again I'll ask him to buy the Yaxi pads for the Sennheiser and for the Koss.

This pad is so sexy and looks extremely comfy I almost don't care destroying the sound just so I can try it, I never saw reviews of this pad in Reddit nor here so it's risky.

I also want to try the Velour Dekoni pads but reviews are always so mixed on them
    [​IMG]

jaco61 likes this.
  4. Seazer
    Yeah unfortunately you can't buy the yaxi pads online, maybe in Japan though. They are Alcantara which is that really soft velvet like material. I also love yaxi's Retro style like the font and color of the L and R.

The NewFantasia sheepskin pads look decent if you are on a budget and want the leather sound

5. Tuneslover
    I just ordered a Koss Porta Po and then continued by ordering a pair of YAXI ear pads.

6. Electrolite
    Really they don't ship these pads? What a shame, then it would be a unique chance to get these pads if my uncle went to Japan, I won't miss the chance. People said the Yaxi pads lowered treble a bit and increased low-mids and mid-bass (I only found 2 reviews on these pads, maybe I need to search in japanese forums...) there's almost no info on these pads, no metions in the 650 and 600 threads of Headfi as well.
    Yaxi pads might help with the grain issue but also might make the 58X too bassy? Well it's a bet maybe they will be great maybe they will destroy the sound, worst case they sound like crap while looking great and being super comfortable.

Holding myselft to not buy these pads, maybe go slowly and get a Grado or Sennheiser one, but I'm curious how they will improve sound. People loved the Yaxi Koss pads but for the Sennheiser it was more mixed.

I wanted to find a pad in this style that fit the Porta Pro, but they would have to be small.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  7. jaco61
    You can order the yaxis for sure, but they are meanwhile out of stock. I had contact with them and they told me they will be available soon again.

8. SSandDigital
    I thought I saw on their page free shipping to US

wje likes this.
  9. Seazer

Nice, yeah that's what I meant, just that they are unavailable, not that they won't ship them if they have them. They have just been out of stock

10. Electrolite
    Well I don't think Yaxi ships to Brazil anyway but I'll check.

@Seazer also please can you send me the link where you got the 240 foam? I want to feed my desire for more headphones by modding the 58X a little, I just need to decide on the pad. Did you get the normal Sheepskin or the fenestrated one?

11. turbomustang84
    These are a bit deeper and because of the foam they use as well as the sheep skin they last longer I have a pair on my HD650s
    Dekoni Audio EPZ-HD600 Elite Hybrid Ear Pads for Sennheiser HD600 Headphones https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0784Y1MXM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_1QGvCbNY7E090

12. Seazer
    I bought the foam here https://www.thomannmusic.com/akg_foam_net_pad_piece_k_240.htm

It ships from the UK so shipping was kind of pricey.

I got the regular Dekoni sheepskin, I heard the fenestrated ones don't sound great on the 58x

13. Mr Trev
    I looked at them… completely balked at the $45CAD shipping cost.
    I did find one US place (don't remember the name), but they only shipped domestically

14. Mouseman
    I have the hybrids, which have the fenestrated inner rings, and they sound great. They also fit a lot better than the stock pads.

15. Electrolite
    This is worse than reviews of the 58X itself, some say the Hybrid destroyed the sound others love it, for each one of the multiple pads there are also multiple opinions on them, I guess I'll have to take a leap of faith and just buy one of them

First

Back
221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230
232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241
Next

Last