Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jan 28, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #3,436 of 4,845
Just wanted to chime in and say that the stock HD58x had noiceable treble grain over the HD660s which wasn't absolutely grain-free. With the 3,5 mod my precious HD58x lost some of its warmth and the treble got way smoother. It is now a more neutral headphone with good subbass-presence.
I paid 180€ and couldn't be happier with the money spend.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #3,437 of 4,845
Just wanted to chime in and say that the stock HD58x had noiceable treble grain over the HD660s which wasn't absolutely grain-free. With the 3,5 mod my precious HD58x lost some of its warmth and the treble got way smoother. It is now a more neutral headphone with good subbass-presence.

I did that mod and while the treble was smoother I felt like I could hear some distortion in the bass, especially upper bass. Almost felt like it was resonancing somewhere. I'm going to try the akg foam mod and see how that sounds, I'll report back when I finally get it in the mail

Jan 29, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #3,439 of 4,845

May I ask what amp/dac you are using if you can hear treble grain with HD660S?

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #3,442 of 4,845
What is the cable configuration on a 5xx/6xx series headphones at the plug side? I want to add a better 1/4" plug, and need to know the pin out.

Do you have a multimeter? You could check for continuity in the wires as you work to replace the 1/4" plug. On the pins that feed into the ear cup, the larger pin is the positive (+) connector for the connection. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. A simple multimeter, so to the Ohms setting to check for continuity can be purchased for $10 - $15.

Jan 29, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #3,443 of 4,845
Jan 29, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #3,444 of 4,845

What's this 3,5 mod?

Jan 29, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #3,446 of 4,845
Jan 30, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #3,447 of 4,845
20190130_172432.jpg
So, I made a small mod a replaced the stock connector with a Neutrik one.

Jan 30, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #3,448 of 4,845
May I ask what amp/dac you are using if you can hear treble grain with HD660S?
When I had the original Dragonfly I could hear a bit of grain on the HD660S and the HD58X. I gave it to my brother and upgraded to the new Black version, so far I haven’t hear grain on any other amp (with the HD58x) yet

Feb 1, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #3,449 of 4,845
So I believe I have found my peak 58x sound after modding, at least the best to my ears. Like I said earlier I had got the Dekoni Sheepskin pads and they added a ton of bass, it was a bit overwhelming. Well I just got in the AKG K240 foam net pad piece that was mentioned the the pdf about 58x modding, the one that talks about the 3.5mm felt hole mod etc. This akg foam pad is foam on one side and a sort of microfiber cloth on the other. I cut circles and taped them foam side down over the vent hole. This brought much more clarity to the treble, while lowering the bass. However the Dekoni pads sort of cancelled out the lowered bass and in my opinion is now at the perfect amount, along with treble clarity that is improved over stock. With these mods I turned off the Harmon target EQ and run them without EQ. With the EQ the treble gets a bit hot and the mids lack depth. However running stock EQ the mids feel full and honestly this is the best I've been able to make them sound so far. Very impressed

Feb 1, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #3,450 of 4,845
So I believe I have found my peak 58x sound after modding, at least the best to my ears. Like I said earlier I had got the Dekoni Sheepskin pads and they added a ton of bass, it was a bit overwhelming. Well I just got in the AKG K240 foam net pad piece that was mentioned the the pdf about 58x modding, the one that talks about the 3.5mm felt hole mod etc. This akg foam pad is foam on one side and a sort of microfiber cloth on the other. I cut circles and taped them foam side down over the vent hole. This brought much more clarity to the treble, while lowering the bass. However the Dekoni pads sort of cancelled out the lowered bass and in my opinion is now at the perfect amount, along with treble clarity that is improved over stock. With these mods I turned off the Harmon target EQ and run them without EQ. With the EQ the treble gets a bit hot and the mids lack depth. However running stock EQ the mids feel full and honestly this is the best I've been able to make them sound so far. Very impressed
Are you sure they don't sound more like a closed back by now? :p

In all seriousness though, glad to hear that, at least with some modding, the 58x work well with other pads. I want to get other pads for mine because I just don't like the Sennheiser ones. They are too firm for my tastes and they get deformed with use. Mine have dents from touching parts of my skull and if I don't line them up correctly I lose the seal on my left ear at times and it sounds dead. Move it a bit forward and it sounds fine, but now it's touching my earlobe. Not to mention that they're shallow. I must have weird ears. Or larger ones than I thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back