Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Mar 21, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #4,831 of 4,845
I have the 660s2.
I have the 660s
And I have the 6XX.
I also have the 58x but...I have the 600 as well. I think I can safely say I kind of like the series 6 sound...

I also own all of these except 660S. I don’t think I am missing anything important…
I also own 800S and Focal Clear MG

Mar 21, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #4,832 of 4,845
20240321-174329.jpg

20240321-173156.jpg

My take on a little 58X Jubilee fine tuning. Choice of mesh density; Fine & coarser. Simply attaches to back of magnet ... magnetically.

Easy reversible, 3 minute job,looks clean.
What a great idea. I assume you made them. Very professional looking--improves the looks greatly. How is the sound affected with the different screens?

Mar 21, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #4,833 of 4,845
I also own all of these except 660S. I don’t think I am missing anything important…
I also own 800S and Focal Clear MG
I have also the focal elex which i like but still i am fan of 58x. I am looking with the first opportunity to take a second pair.

It is the least technical among all the others when you compare them directly but probably gives me the most pleasure in long listening sessions. Many times i prefer it even from elex. Technicalities are not everything.

You do not lossing anything because i think s2 is better. I like s1 as well and i find it more pretty with the silver color and the original box. So maybe you are missing the original box.

I have not study well the 600 because i have it in a different country and i have not make my mind about the final ranking but my thoughts is that the winner will be one of the following:

HD600, HD660s2 and even maybe 58X.

HD600s2 the most technical with a signature closer to 650, HD600 as the absolute classic of the old guard and maybe 58X as the most fan and best for long listening sessions when you are not focusing on technicalities, or what you may missing or what the others think and if they snob you for your choice.

But not 660s because is loosing clearly from s2 while being similar ( imho) or 6xx because i clearly prefer the 58x among them . And if it scales better so does tbe HD 600.

Only time i do not have to listen enough and make my conclusion...:)

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 3:49 AM Post #4,834 of 4,845
What a great idea. I assume you made them. Very professional looking--improves the looks greatly. How is the sound affected with the different screens?
Thank you. They are tap seals with metal mesh. You can easily buy them. Mesh size varies and you can have them flat or domed. I then simply used washers in an appropriate size to magnetically attach.

It's to early to comment on sound. I got them more to remove the cup foam which normally resides under the outside cup metal mesh. I prefer the 'open', more technical look as in the rest of the 6 series (I know ... shallow) but that leaves the driver more suspect to dirt ingress. The 58x does not have the foam behind the driver hence my solution.

I am no engineer so the finer points are lost on me but the metal washer
also gives the magnet something additional to push against, as it physically presses against the plastic outer of the driver housing. The silicon rubber of the mesh surround may also help to provide some further benefits in vibration reduction.

Other than simply choosing between the two mesh densities you could take this one or two steps further by using two mesh in combination or inserting additional foam between magnet and mesh ... There's about 3mm of space and it would still look clean.

It gets a bit anal there though and further than I want to go!

This is of course all made up in my head and I have no way of measuring this 😁.

If CustomCans wants to take this a step further I'm happy to provide details. Just name it after me :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #4,835 of 4,845
Thanks for responding and all the info! I think I would actually try your mod just to class up the look. Since I use mine without the outer and inner ear cup foam (for a bit more clarity, at least as I perceive it--I've also covered the inner ear cup with stretched out hosiery) that raw looking magnet with the hole has a sort of incomplete look to it and needs something else.

When I first got my 58X's I did the Solderdude mod with the felt and double sided tape but after a few months I didn't think the sound changed in any tangible way and I didn't like the look, so I removed them.

Your solution is just about perfect for me even if it doesn't alter the sound in any significant way. I think I might have some of those black thick washers from left- overs from my Salamander Designs audio stand.

Did you glue the tap seals to the washers or do the metal screens just adhere everything en-masse to the magnet?

Yeah, you may have given Custom Cans some ideas!

Thanks again for your detailed photos--I think I might be able to do this for mine!

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #4,836 of 4,845
Thanks for responding and all the info! I think I would actually try your mod just to class up the look. Since I use mine without the outer and inner ear cup foam (for a bit more clarity, at least as I perceive it--I've also covered the inner ear cup with stretched out hosiery) that raw looking magnet with the hole has a sort of incomplete look to it and needs something else.

When I first got my 58X's I did the Solderdude mod with the felt and double sided tape but after a few months I didn't think the sound changed in any tangible way and I didn't like the look, so I removed them.

Your solution is just about perfect for me even if it doesn't alter the sound in any significant way. I think I might have some of those black thick washers from left- overs from my Salamander Designs audio stand.

Did you glue the tap seals to the washers or do the metal screens just adhere everything en-masse to the magnet?

Yeah, you may have given Custom Cans some ideas!

Thanks again for your detailed photos--I think I might be able to do this for mine!
Pleasure. Here's what I used;

YIXISI 65 Piezas Arandelas de Manguera de Malla, Arandelas Planas de Goma con Filtro, Arandelas de Malla, para Mangueras de Grifos de Ducha de 1/2 Pulgada https://amzn.eu/d/gzkzW8t

Qrity 20 Piezas Juego De Anillo De Sellado, 12mm x 24mm Arandelas Metálicas, Arandelas Tóricas Negro, Arandela Plana Grande Para Tornillos Sujetadores Arandelas para Decorar el Hogar https://amzn.eu/d/7TTfrGj

Washers are ferro/non stainless (otherwise they are non magnetic)and yes, 3 tiny dots of super glue fixes the mesh to the washer.

I still haven't had a proper listen.

Like you, it's more about looks. I make sound adjustments in Roon or on my Chord.

Some also paint the white ribs going to the magnet black but I like to keep things original if I wanted to sell

Just a little fun.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #4,837 of 4,845
Ok, I can hear differences between the mesh densities and also whether I take the interior foam out of the cups or not.

Now, I have no way of measuring anything nor can I do an AB blind in short enough succession to adequately describe what I am hearing. The 30 seconds or one minute to change things is enough to make any attempt at it meaningless.

So I leave it at ... all options sound good to me, even the stock 58X. Differences, although audible, seem relatively small and in no way compare to using EQ in Roon or on the Chord.

Like I said, just a little fun but it sure looks cool.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #4,838 of 4,845
Ok, I can hear differences between the mesh densities and also whether I take the interior foam out of the cups or not.

Now, I have no way of measuring anything nor can I do an AB blind in short enough succession to adequately describe what I am hearing. The 30 seconds or one minute to change things is enough to make any attempt at it meaningless.

So I leave it at ... all options sound good to me, even the stock 58X. Differences, although audible, seem relatively small and in no way compare to using EQ in Roon or on the Chord.

Like I said, just a little fun but it sure looks cool.
Thinking about it last night I think it's possible that one of the sound changes from your mod might be adding some low end. I have the Custom Cans copper mass loading rings rings for my 6XX and that has been my main takeaway from that mod. Your adding of mass (the metal washers and aerator screens) may be doing something roughly similar in adding mass.

I'm in the process of trying to hunt down local sources of washers and screens (thanks for posting those links!). I think the 1/2 inch size black washers might work and they sell them around here. As soon as I have something installed I'll post what I think.

I haven't used my 58X's for a long time but I spent a while last night with various types of music to get my ears used to their signature again. They're not the most resolving cans but they are very nice for certain recordings with lots of low mids, guitar, harps, etc. They have a very interesting and singular sound that is not as refined as the 6XX but enjoyable as an alternate signature that is very easy going and gentle on the hearing.

Mar 24, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #4,840 of 4,845
Mar 24, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #4,842 of 4,845
Tripowin grand via.

But i have also the tripowin altura.17112861111935611697603822809972.jpg

17112861705766417972658920264879.jpg

You do NOT need a fortune for these cables especially if you buy them on offers.
How would you rate this vs the stock cable?

Mar 24, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #4,843 of 4,845
How would you rate this vs the stock cable?
I guess you mean the unbalanced stock cable as provided from drop?

Many made the mistake and some of my friends to judge 58X with the original unbalanced cable driven by very modest sources even from the headphone jack of their phone because somehow believe the 58x is simple to drive and supposedly doesn't scale well.

While the opposite is true the 58x is transformed by going balanced and using a better source. It nevered failed to scale for me when I am using a better source.

I also do not like the original Sennheiser cables because they choke me in the neck as I find them that they split too close to my neck.

So a balanced cable even moderately priced is essential and no brainer in comparison with the original unbalanced shipped from drop.

I have plenty of them moderately priced from 25£ to 55£ and those two above are the best for me, with the altura being my personal preference. However, all of them sounded better than the original unbalanced one shipped from drop by a wide margin, part of the fact of course that I was going balanced.

The original balanced Sennheiser cables shipped with 660s and 660s2 they also have very good sound quality but they are super expensive, too long for me and still choke me in my neck.

So if you have a 58x to buy a cable like the one mentioned above is the best value for money IMHO and absolute must if you only have the original balanced from drop.

So I rate it very highly but obviously they are so many aftermarket cables out there that I have not tried so I do not know really which is the best.

With the altura the low end improves even further.

Mar 25, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #4,844 of 4,845
I guess you mean the unbalanced stock cable as provided from drop?

Many made the mistake and some of my friends to judge 58X with the original unbalanced cable driven by very modest sources even from the headphone jack of their phone because somehow believe the 58x is simple to drive and supposedly doesn't scale well.

While the opposite is true the 58x is transformed by going balanced and using a better source. It nevered failed to scale for me when I am using a better source.

I also do not like the original Sennheiser cables because they choke me in the neck as I find them that they split too close to my neck.

So a balanced cable even moderately priced is essential and no brainer in comparison with the original unbalanced shipped from drop.

I have plenty of them moderately priced from 25£ to 55£ and those two above are the best for me, with the altura being my personal preference. However, all of them sounded better than the original unbalanced one shipped from drop by a wide margin, part of the fact of course that I was going balanced.

The original balanced Sennheiser cables shipped with 660s and 660s2 they also have very good sound quality but they are super expensive, too long for me and still choke me in my neck.

So if you have a 58x to buy a cable like the one mentioned above is the best value for money IMHO and absolute must if you only have the original balanced from drop.

So I rate it very highly but obviously they are so many aftermarket cables out there that I have not tried so I do not know really which is the best.

With the altura the low end improves even further.
Thank you. My Mojo2 does not have balanced so it probably won't be worth buying one of those.

To be honest, I love it as is. Now I did my mod bass is super deep and with lovely control and slam plus I got the rest dialled in perfectly with minor Roon EQ. A fantastic little headphone for next to nothing.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #4,845 of 4,845
Thank you. My Mojo2 does not have balanced so it probably won't be worth buying one of those.

To be honest, I love it as is. Now I did my mod bass is super deep and with lovely control and slam plus I got the rest dialled in perfectly with minor Roon EQ. A fantastic little headphone for next to nothing.
I did some comparison lately and i decided I like the altura much more.

You could invest the money and buy one now and use it with an adapter (I have one) with your Mojo. I believe you will see a difference but if not you will be ready when you buy a new machine that will output balanced in 4.4mm.

I have two alturas one for my 58x and one for my elex I am thinking to buy a third one for my other 6 series senns as well.

The only problem is that today that i had time to place my order i missed the spring sales for one day so... next time now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back