Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEMs Review / Preview
Jan 11, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #661 of 766
more like different ear.. hahaha i have big flabby ones.

Jan 11, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #663 of 766
I wanted a Mic cable for transit and found a solid one on AliExpress, Noble sells a nice looking one but it's $80.

This is the one I picked up, no chin slide but made my own. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-3...017.html?spm=a2g0s.8937420.0.0.670553982nUXwt

EpYKmgn.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #665 of 766
I use my Noble X's with Comply ear tips and the sound is fantastic. It may take the Encores to beat them (full disclosure, I have not heard any of the other Nobles yet...YET)

Jan 12, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #666 of 766
Hey guys I fell in love with my Ultimate Ears UE 900s that I got for $175
Those are 4 BA drivers IEM with amazing sound and isolation at -26db which is literally too good IMO.
I am wondering how these Nobles are in build quality+ sound quality and how is the microphonics for going on walks with my dog for example?
Anyone who has both who could compare the 2 would be even better!
Would these be a worthy upgrade to the UE900s? ($300 is my limit for IEMs and these sold for $250)
If not these any other recommendations?

Jan 13, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #667 of 766
I am wondering how these Nobles are in build quality+ sound quality and how is the microphonics for going on walks with my dog for example?
I don't have the UE900s, so I can't comment on that. But I have the X, so I can help you a bit here.

The build quality seems OK to me. It's mostly plastic, but a hard and smooth one. I had it fall on the floor several times, and they are fine, not even a scratch. But I mostly use it at home, in a relatively safe environment. There are no microphonics since it's an over-ear design. And regarding the sound quality, I think it's phenomenal, but there are two critical considerations.

First, it's power hungry. I have a FiiO E10 Olympus and listen on high gain because the X is quite dark and the treble extension is not stellar otherwise. Several reviews noted this as well. With high gain, it opens up nicely, and particularly the highs get significantly better, making the whole sound more linear and detailed.

The second consideration is the tips. In my personal experience, it sounds terrible with foam tips, either original and Comply. Extremely dark, and I feel like the upper bass shadows everything. The stock silicone tips are much better, but they are quite hard, and walking with them makes a wooh-wooh effect on every step due to the changes in the ear canal shape. It's mainly noticeable in a noisy environment. I get the best sound from the Spinfits. They help the treble the most, and the bass is portrayed better, too. But the walking effects get even stronger.

So to conclude, the X is a wonderful earphone, but it's better suited for desktop use with an amp. Hope this helps! :)

Jan 13, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #668 of 766
I don't have the UE900s, so I can't comment on that. But I have the X, so I can help you a bit here.

The build quality seems OK to me. It's mostly plastic, but a hard and smooth one. I had it fall on the floor several times, and they are fine, not even a scratch. But I mostly use it at home, in a relatively safe environment. There are no microphonics since it's an over-ear design. And regarding the sound quality, I think it's phenomenal, but there are two critical considerations.

First, it's power hungry. I have a FiiO E10 Olympus and listen on high gain because the X is quite dark and the treble extension is not stellar otherwise. Several reviews noted this as well. With high gain, it opens up nicely, and particularly the highs get significantly better, making the whole sound more linear and detailed.

The second consideration is the tips. In my personal experience, it sounds terrible with foam tips, either original and Comply. Extremely dark, and I feel like the upper bass shadows everything. The stock silicone tips are much better, but they are quite hard, and walking with them makes a wooh-wooh effect on every step due to the changes in the ear canal shape. It's mainly noticeable in a noisy environment. I get the best sound from the Spinfits. They help the treble the most, and the bass is portrayed better, too. But the walking effects get even stronger.

So to conclude, the X is a wonderful earphone, but it's better suited for desktop use with an amp. Hope this helps! :)

It’s interesting how different everyone’s ears are. I don’t find the X dark at all and I prefer them with Comply foam tips. I use it all the time at work with an iPhone 7 plus and no external amplification and think it sounds pretty good, though it does open up more using the Fiio Q1 I have. Of course with most things, YMMV.

Jan 14, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #669 of 766
It’s interesting how different everyone’s ears are. I don’t find the X dark at all and I prefer them with Comply foam tips. I use it all the time at work with an iPhone 7 plus and no external amplification and think it sounds pretty good, though it does open up more using the Fiio Q1 I have. Of course with most things, YMMV.
Guess it has something to do with what kind of a seal you get with them, and also as always, preferences. The Noble X is definitely on the dark side of neutral, but a lot of people like that and perceive it as more «natural-sounding», myself included.

To me, the X sounded their best with spinfits. I found them too dark and mushy with comply’s.
Spinfits are weird in how they change the FR. In my experience they usually change the FR more than other tips, in a less linear more peak and valley fashion. The X benefits from it imo, opens the sound up nicely. Other IEMs, like the Oriveti New Primacy, do not go well with spinfits imo.

Jan 14, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #670 of 766
Guess it has something to do with what kind of a seal you get with them, and also as always, preferences. The Noble X is definitely on the dark side of neutral, but a lot of people like that and perceive it as more «natural-sounding», myself included.

To me, the X sounded their best with spinfits. I found them too dark and mushy with comply’s.
Spinfits are weird in how they change the FR. In my experience they usually change the FR more than other tips, in a less linear more peak and valley fashion. The X benefits from it imo, opens the sound up nicely. Other IEMs, like the Oriveti New Primacy, do not go well with spinfits imo.

I'll have to try some spinfits on some of my IEM's to see how it affects the sound.

Jan 31, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #671 of 766

Users who are viewing this thread

Back