Massdrop x Liquid Carbon X Discussion
Oct 5, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #391 of 488
I dont want to wait that long. Good idea though.

I am waiting for a response. In their defense it isn't a true Cavalli product. But still....

It's only like four weeks, I think? Should be lots of good sales on some very interesting products. Most retailers are anxious to kick off the holiday sales and will have some great sales. It may only be on limited products, but if you have an amp to hold you over, I'd wait. The 887 is coming out in November...
If you need a short term fix, how about the Liquid Spark? If you can find an open box, it is $80.00. It really is a baby brother to the LCX and you wouldn't would lose much moving it on in a month or two. I played it for the better part of a week with my Meze 99 Classic's, which really don't need amping and really enjoyed it. Today I switched over to the LCX and plugged in my HD58X's. Sounded good for an hour or so. Then I plugged in my Beyer T5p.2's and it was audio nirvana all day. Long day in the Lazy-Boy.:slight_smile:

Good luck (it has to be better right?) with your next purchase.

Shane D

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #392 of 488
It's only like four weeks, I think? Should be lots of good sales on some very interesting products. Most retailers are anxious to kick off the holiday sales and will have some great sales. It may only be on limited products, but if you have an amp to hold you over, I'd wait. The 887 is coming out in November...
If you need a short term fix, how about the Liquid Spark? If you can find an open box, it is $80.00. It really is a baby brother to the LCX and you wouldn't would lose much moving it on in a month or two. I played it for the better part of a week with my Meze 99 Classic's, which really don't need amping and really enjoyed it. Today I switched over to the LCX and plugged in my HD58X's. Sounded good for an hour or so. Then I plugged in my Beyer T5p.2's and it was audio nirvana all day. Long day in the Lazy-Boy.:slight_smile:

Good luck (it has to be better right?) with your next purchase.

Shane D
I use the LCX in my review process so I needed a replacement quick.

I am keeping an eye on the LS as it has peeked my interest a lot.

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #393 of 488
I use the LCX in my review process so I needed a replacement quick.

I am keeping an eye on the LS as it has peeked my interest a lot.

I have come to a resolution that is fair for Avenson and myself. I have picked up a brand new LCX from Drop. This will ensure that warranty applies if any issues happen. Also, after further discussion with Avenson, it appears the LCX I bought used was a lemon from the beginning. So I am sure this brand new LCX will last longer. I already see differences between new and old. The power led is brighter, way brighter, and also the buttons are tighter and more responsive. When I first got the older LCX I thought it was strange that the LED was significantly dimmer then the CTH but just thought that it was an update. Apparently not an update but a problem along with issue with the gain switch. So the old LCX will be sold as is/parts only. I am sure someone will be able to use in some way or other.

Oct 8, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #394 of 488
I have come to a resolution that is fair for Avenson and myself. I have picked up a brand new LCX from Drop. This will ensure that warranty applies if any issues happen. Also, after further discussion with Avenson, it appears the LCX I bought used was a lemon from the beginning. So I am sure this brand new LCX will last longer. I already see differences between new and old. The power led is brighter, way brighter, and also the buttons are tighter and more responsive. When I first got the older LCX I thought it was strange that the LED was significantly dimmer then the CTH but just thought that it was an update. Apparently not an update but a problem along with issue with the gain switch. So the old LCX will be sold as is/parts only. I am sure someone will be able to use in some way or other.

Were you really in a crunch for time with your reviews or just impatient? For another $99.00, you could have had the THX AAA 887 in five or six weeks, with a FIVE year warranty.

Having said that, I was using my LCX this morning with my Beyer T5P.2's and everything sounded great.:relaxed:

Enjoy your new toy!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Shane D

Oct 8, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #395 of 488
Were you really in a crunch for time with your reviews or just impatient? For another $99.00, you could have had the THX AAA 887 in five or six weeks, with a FIVE year warranty.

Having said that, I was using my LCX this morning with my Beyer T5P.2's and everything sounded great.:relaxed:

Enjoy your new toy!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Shane D
I am in a crunch with reviews and also impatient :)

Plus I love the LCX. I already have the 788 so the 887 isn't a priority for me at the moment.

Oct 20, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #396 of 488
Sorry for the dumb question. But Drop sells the LCX both with and without the SDAC built in. The amp is the exact same either way right? Would it be any sort of downgrade going from the 789 to the LCX?

Oct 20, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #397 of 488
Sorry for the dumb question. But Drop sells the LCX both with and without the SDAC built in. The amp is the exact same either way right? Would it be any sort of downgrade going from the 789 to the LCX?

I think it would be quite a difference. The 789 is VERY neutral and very powerful. The LCX has its own sound, which I enjoy.

Shane D

Oct 20, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #398 of 488
I think it would be quite a difference. The 789 is VERY neutral and very powerful. The LCX has its own sound, which I enjoy.

Shane D

Yes the 789 has lots of power. I have no need to use medium or high gain so far. I currently have the HD6XX, 58X and Focal Elex (my newest headphone). I am using the balance headphone out for each of them and the Elex seems to be the best of the three however they can seem a little bright(?) but perhaps that's partly due to the neutrality of the 789. If I had a more "coloured" amp or maybe different ear pads then it may warm the sound a bit. How would you describe the LCX sound?

Oct 20, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #399 of 488
Yes the 789 has lots of power. I have no need to use medium or high gain so far. I currently have the HD6XX, 58X and Focal Elex (my newest headphone). I am using the balance headphone out for each of them and the Elex seems to be the best of the three however they can seem a little bright(?) but perhaps that's partly due to the neutrality of the 789. If I had a more "coloured" amp or maybe different ear pads then it may warm the sound a bit. How would you describe the LCX sound?

I used to have the HD6XX's and sold them quite a while ago. I recently bought a set of used HD58X's and they're not bad. I REALLY want a pair of Elex's. I see they're back on MassDrop...

Back on subject, my dream set-up is one super neutral amp and one amp with some "flavour".

I.E. Monoprice THX AAA 887 and Schiit Lyr 3.

My DAC (SMSL SU-8) feeds two amps at once, balanced and SE. I would want two very different sounding amps.
Right now I am at Burson Fun-Classic and LCX. Quite different sounds.

Shane D

Oct 20, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #400 of 488
I used to have the HD6XX's and sold them quite a while ago. I recently bought a set of used HD58X's and they're not bad. I REALLY want a pair of Elex's. I see they're back on MassDrop...

Back on subject, my dream set-up is one super neutral amp and one amp with some "flavour".

I.E. Monoprice THX AAA 887 and Schiit Lyr 3.

My DAC (SMSL SU-8) feeds two amps at once, balanced and SE. I would want two very different sounding amps.
Right now I am at Burson Fun-Classic and LCX. Quite different sounds.

Shane D

Well I paid $750 Canadian for my Elex. It would be over $1,000 if I bought new from Drop for me. They sound great but the weight of them is really noticeable compared to the Sennheisers. Oddly enough Drop did not make the replacement Elex ear pads an active drop alongside the Elex headphones.

In any case due to my more limited finances I'm trying to put together an "end game" type of setup. At least for the foreseeable future. The Elex in terms of sound could very well be end game headphones for me. But the comfort is not as good due to the weight of them.

Oct 20, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #401 of 488
Well I paid $750 Canadian for my Elex. It would be over $1,000 if I bought new from Drop for me. They sound great but the weight of them is really noticeable compared to the Sennheisers. Oddly enough Drop did not make the replacement Elex ear pads an active drop alongside the Elex headphones.

In any case due to my more limited finances I'm trying to put together an "end game" type of setup. At least for the foreseeable future. The Elex in terms of sound could very well be end game headphones for me. But the comfort is not as good due to the weight of them.

I have bought a ton of headphones and have never found a pair heavy. Maybe just luck of the draw in my case.

I am thinking that Elex could well be end game in my case. I am in Canada and I hear you on the cost. There is a set right now on CAM for $750.00. I just can't pull the trigger. I have gone NUTS on audio this year. Just in the last two weeks I bought a used Vali 2 and Beautiful earpads for my Grado's.

Shane D

Oct 20, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #402 of 488
I have bought a ton of headphones and have never found a pair heavy. Maybe just luck of the draw in my case.

I am thinking that Elex could well be end game in my case. I am in Canada and I hear you on the cost. There is a set right now on CAM for $750.00. I just can't pull the trigger. I have gone NUTS on audio this year. Just in the last two weeks I bought a used Vali 2 and Beautiful earpads for my Grado's.

Shane D

Yeah there was a couple of them on CAM which is where I found mine. I was just lucky in that it was a local sale. I just wonder if I should spring for the Dekoni replacement pads or wait for Drop to release the official pads.

In any case perhaps it's just better to stay with the 789 I have instead of the LCX or another amp.

Oct 21, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #403 of 488
I have the Focal Elex and the SDAC-Balanced with the LCX seperate. I just played a few treble prominent songs and the Elex and LCX seem to have a nice blend. The treble is not as ''aggressive'' as it can be on the THX 788. It still has a presence but is not as fatiguing. The LCX adds just a smidge of warmth to the Elex. One song that can be very fatiguing is ''The Sign" by Ace of Bass and the sdac-b, LCX and Elex combo it sounds great.

Oct 21, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #404 of 488
I have the Focal Elex and the SDAC-Balanced with the LCX seperate. I just played a few treble prominent songs and the Elex and LCX seem to have a nice blend. The treble is not as ''aggressive'' as it can be on the THX 788. It still has a presence but is not as fatiguing. The LCX adds just a smidge of warmth to the Elex. One song that can be very fatiguing is ''The Sign" by Ace of Bass and the sdac-b, LCX and Elex combo it sounds great.

Do you mean the THX 789? In any case I think I'm going to sell my Elex. Despite sounding great (though a bit bright) I can't get past their heavier weight vs my HD6XX. I can't wear the Elex for long sessions. Plus I get itchy around the ear cups.

Oct 21, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #405 of 488
Do you mean the THX 789? In any case I think I'm going to sell my Elex. Despite sounding great (though a bit bright) I can't get past their heavier weight vs my HD6XX. I can't wear the Elex for long sessions. Plus I get itchy around the ear cups.

The 788 is Monoprice's old amp. I think it might have been a DAC/amp.

Not in Canada are you?

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back