Massdrop x Liquid Carbon X Discussion
Sep 27, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #376 of 488
Thanks, I just registered on the ASR forum; I recall seeing some links to it in other discussions so now I can follow it more closely.

Yes, they were not kind to the LCX, but must admit it is still a go to favorite in my "stack" of amps, yes I too am deep into this hobby.

What is your feelings on the Elex? It is on my wanted list. However, they are expensive and rarely for sale used. And now they're just plain unavailable.

My headphone wish list is Elex's and Cascades.

Shane D

Sep 27, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #377 of 488
I REALLY hope this goes well for you!

Shane D
The LCX arrived today in good shape. So far the LCX is working well, the buttons feel more stable and harder to push then before, maybe an upgrade. Had to shutdown all gear as a bad thunderstorm system rolled into the area so my listen session has been cut short. But the LCX has reaffirmed my love for it in just the short time I have had so far.

Sep 28, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #378 of 488
Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #379 of 488
I’m certain I saw at least one Elex and maybe two in the For Sale here in the last 3 days....

I was thinking more on the Canadian side of things. What seems like a good deal can go south pretty quick with conversion, shipping and hidden fees.

I can live with that for new gear that has a warranty, but not for used stuff.

Shane D

Sep 28, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #380 of 488
What is your feelings on the Elex? It is on my wanted list. However, they are expensive and rarely for sale used. And now they're just plain unavailable.

My headphone wish list is Elex's and Cascades.

Shane D
The Elex is a favorite and a keeper for sure, reminds me a bit of the HD800 very clean, dynamic, great sound-stage, comfortable, they get a lot of my ear time. I liked that Drop packaged the balanced and SE cables and the overall color scheme and ear pad design appealed more than the elear or the clear which I have not heard, but suspect the elex falls somewhere between those two models from Focal sound wise. I had my eye on them for sometime and impulsively bought them shortly after I received the LCX. I put the XLR cable on and plugged them into the LCX where they have stayed as I am totally satisfied with the pairing.

I was not aware of the Cascades, they look to be a worthy contender, will await some reviews from early adopters. Remind me a bit of B&W P7 HPs at first glance.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #382 of 488
So after a few days, my LCX is still running great. I am very happy. I am remembering why I love this amp so much especially paired with the THX AAA 788 dac via se and the Geshelli Enog 2 Pro balanced.
So glad your repair journey has worked out. So are you liking the LCX better than the amp section of the 788? Neat the LCX allows both SE and XLR inputs so switching between two DACs is quick. It is difficult for me to note the differences in DACs let along cables, especially power or USB cables.

Oct 1, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #383 of 488
So glad your repair journey has worked out. So are you liking the LCX better than the amp section of the 788? Neat the LCX allows both SE and XLR inputs so switching between two DACs is quick. It is difficult for me to note the differences in DACs let along cables, especially power or USB cables.
The THX amp section is amazing but not as powerful as the LCX. The THX has a great DAC that I find pairs well with the LCX's warm tint of an amp. The THX amp is more analytical where the LCX has a slight warmth to it. The differences in DAC between the THX, Geshelli and the iDSD is noticeable in the details and the dynamics.I love both amps and I really enjoy the ability to test multiple DAC on one amp.

Oct 2, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #384 of 488
The THX amp section is amazing but not as powerful as the LCX. The THX has a great DAC that I find pairs well with the LCX's warm tint of an amp. The THX amp is more analytical where the LCX has a slight warmth to it. The differences in DAC between the THX, Geshelli and the iDSD is noticeable in the details and the dynamics.I love both amps and I really enjoy the ability to test multiple DAC on one amp.

Good to know the amp on the LCX is more powerful than on the Monoprice Monolith THX 788 DAC/Amp, I was tempted to buy it but at the price I can’t justify it for the DAC alone, although on your word I’m keeping an eye on any price drops or fire sales on used units.

Do you like the LCX best out of the 788 DAC or the Geshelli?

Oct 2, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #385 of 488
4QPfhTh.png

4rbUWd8.png

Specs
  • Massdrop x Alex Cavalli
  • Chassis: High-grade CNC-milled aluminum with bead-blasted finish
  • Gain: 1x (0 dB) and 3x (10 dB), hot switchable from front panel
  • Maximum power: Balanced 2.8W RMS into 50 ohms, single-ended 0.7W RMS into 50 ohms
  • Inputs: 1 x XLR (balanced), 1 x RCA
  • Outputs: 1 x 4-pin XLR, 1 x TRS
  • THD: 0.004% at 1 kHz/500 mW (4 VRMS) into 32 ohms (resistive)
  • Input impedance: ~10 kohms
  • Output impedance: ~0.12 ohm balanced, ~0.08 ohm single-ended
  • Dimensions: 8.3 x 9.1 x 2.2 in (210 x 230 x 57 mm)
  • Weight: 3.6 lbs (1,625 g)
  • Individually serialized
Included
  • Switching power supply that handles 100–240 VAC (add plug adapter for your country’s outlet)
  • 1-year warranty
Does anyone know if the SE pass outlet is just an un-amplified through pass or a pre-amp out?

Oct 2, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #386 of 488
Does anyone know if the SE pass outlet is just an un-amplified through pass or a pre-amp out?
Yes.
It is a pass through allowing one to, for instance, daisy chain a single DAC output through the LCX to another amp or even several amps if they have a pass through connectors.

Oct 2, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #387 of 488
Good to know the amp on the LCX is more powerful than on the Monoprice Monolith THX 788 DAC/Amp, I was tempted to buy it but at the price I can’t justify it for the DAC alone, although on your word I’m keeping an eye on any price drops or fire sales on used units.

Do you like the LCX best out of the 788 DAC or the Geshelli?
I like the DAC from the 788 better on the LCX. The Geshelli is good but it isn't THX good.

Oct 5, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #388 of 488
So yeah the LCX has broken yet again. Same issue as before, the gain switch shorts out. But hey, it lasted a week this time.

I am going to resolve the issue with the repair company.

I am going to get a brand new LCX and I probably will sell this broken LCX for parts or as is. I am tired of being without the LCX and being frustrated over and over again with a broken amp.

Oct 5, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #389 of 488
So yeah the LCX has broken yet again. Same issue as before, the gain switch shorts out. But hey, it lasted a week this time.

I am going to resolve the issue with the repair company.

I am going to get a brand new LCX and I probably will sell this broken LCX for parts or as is. I am tired of being without the LCX and being frustrated over and over again with a broken amp.

REALLY sorry to hear about this! Maybe wait until Black Friday? I got mine for $199.00 during Prime Days. MassDrop rarely has sales, but they do occasionally. And they don't sell a ton of this amp anyway.
It is a good amp for $300.00, but it is a really good amp for $200.00.:relaxed:

Shane D

PS: I would be really interested to hear Avenson's response. That is some crappy repair service for an outfit claiming to be Cavalli experts.

Shane D

Oct 5, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #390 of 488
REALLY sorry to hear about this! Maybe wait until Black Friday? I got mine for $199.00 during Prime Days. MassDrop rarely has sales, but they do occasionally. And they don't sell a ton of this amp anyway.
It is a good amp for $300.00, but it is a really good amp for $200.00.:relaxed:

Shane D

PS: I would be really interested to hear Avenson's response. That is some ****ty repair service for an outfit claiming to be Cavalli experts.

Shane D
I dont want to wait that long. Good idea though.

I am waiting for a response. In their defense it isn't a true Cavalli product. But still....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back