Massdrop x Liquid Carbon X Discussion
Aug 12, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #316 of 491
This amp is HUGE bang for the buck (I got it on sale)!
Today and yesterday I have been using it with my HD58X. Both work well and it is another nice combo.

Shane D

Aug 29, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #317 of 491
What is the power difference between this and the original?

Aug 29, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #318 of 491
So bad news, my gain switch has started shorting out just now. I am in contact with Avenson Audio to see about resolution in this matter. I've had the LCX one day since it was repaired. Needless to say I am slightly annoyed. We shall see what Avenson has to say.

So, what has happened over the past three weeks?

The tough part about buying $100.00, $200.00 and even $300.00 electronic items is that they are pretty much disposable. Unless you're a Mr. Fix-it, spending $100.00 to $200.00 repairing these items at a third party doesn't really make any sense. I wouldn't. We all love the cheap stuff, but there is a reason it is cheap.:relaxed:

I would spend if it was with the original manufacturer, but that's about it.

Shane D

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #319 of 491
So, what has happened over the past three weeks?

The tough part about buying $100.00, $200.00 and even $300.00 electronic items is that they are pretty much disposable. Unless you're a Mr. Fix-it, spending $100.00 to $200.00 repairing these items at a third party doesn't really make any sense. I wouldn't. We all love the cheap stuff, but there is a reason it is cheap.:relaxed:

I would spend if it was with the original manufacturer, but that's about it.

Shane D
I have returned them to Avenson Audio for repairs again, they are covering cost this time. Hopefully the gain switch will be an easy fix. The amp is stellar when working properly but....I hope this is the last repair it has to endure

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #320 of 491
I have returned them to Avenson Audio for repairs again, they are covering cost this time. Hopefully the gain switch will be an easy fix. The amp is stellar when working properly but....I hope this is the last repair it has to endure

Did you pay the shipping back?

Good luck! I am liking it more every time I use it.

Shane D

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #323 of 491

That sucks hope it all works out for you I've had mine since the amps first release no issues so far hope it stays that way, good luck..

Sep 4, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #326 of 491
I love it with my SMSL SU-8.

Anybody else getting on that 789 train? I think they only sold about 1K on the first 30- day run, which I am guessing is WAY less than they thought. Then they post another 30 day run. In 12 days their count has gone from 5.1K to 5.2K sold. In a VERY best case scenario they sold up to 199 pieces on this run so far.
Strange as there were a few thousand people, as I recall, asking for it. People are so full of BS.:unamused:

I love my LCX, but I must admit that I am curious. I would really like to do a side by side. I just sold a speaker dock, a 2.1 sound system and a Topping amp. But then I bought a set of Shure 1540 :heart_eyes:. Maybe if I sell my FiiO A5 and Loxjie P20 before the run is over...:grin:

Shane D

Sep 4, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #328 of 491
Sep 4, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #329 of 491
I love it with my SMSL SU-8.

Anybody else getting on that 789 train? I think they only sold about 1K on the first 30- day run, which I am guessing is WAY less than they thought. Then they post another 30 day run. In 12 days their count has gone from 5.1K to 5.2K sold. In a VERY best case scenario they sold up to 199 pieces on this run so far.
Strange as there were a few thousand people, as I recall, asking for it. People are so full of BS.:unamused:

I love my LCX, but I must admit that I am curious. I would really like to do a side by side. I just sold a speaker dock, a 2.1 sound system and a Topping amp. But then I bought a set of Shure 1540 :heart_eyes:. Maybe if I sell my FiiO A5 and Loxjie P20 before the run is over...:grin:

Shane D

I got in the last drop for the 789, the one expected to ship November 15, so between that and the LCX and a powerful Chinese budget amp I have incoming from a fellow Head-Fi'er, I really should be covered. I've never paid $400 for an amp before because I'm a cheap a** so I'm probably not going to get a second 789, although I did briefly have two LCX's... :sweat_smile: And right now I'm listening to my HE-560 v1 out of the oft-ridiculed HiFiMAN EF100 hybrid tube amp. I think I have enough amps.... (Project Polaris is really good, too, and the Loxjie P20 ain't half bad, either...)

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #330 of 491
I hear you on the cost thing. The 789 would cost me $650.00, landed in Canada. That is a LOT of money to spend and then go "well, it sounds a little cleaner than the LCX".

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back