Massdrop x Hifiman edition xx
Dec 4, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #331 of 463
Bitch please, let's all agree that the one and only reviewer out there is Oluv @ Oluv's Gadgets youtube channel, he actually really test them and has a good protocol of doing that.

So I've been spaming on Assdrop/Youtube to someone send one unit to Oluv for 2 months.

Not gonna buy if his tests reveals poor tunning.

Zeos, Joshua Valour trusted reviewers? My ass, they are all Bad guy Bad reviews level, the last being the most ****ing moron cause bought ANEW U1 with his recommendation.

Metal & DMS are worth watching. But again Oluv *** on all reviewers cuz his standards are lvl 9000 the next 2nd gen Tyll guys.
I was the one who pointed Drop at Oluv and told him to try recording and measuring headphones with in ear mics. If he keeps going and learning full time at the current rate, I'll never need to review another headphone ever again, and that's my goal anyway. True, Oluv and I are both big Tyll fans. A large point of starting up my channel was dissatisfaction with YT reviewers of the time, 5 years ago. Then Tyll retired and now we have huge shoes to fill. Luckily Rtings and oratory1990 and Jude are around to give us continued measurements of headphones in the post-Tyll audio world, too.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #332 of 463
Bitch please, let's all agree that the one and only reviewer out there is Oluv @ Oluv's Gadgets youtube channel, he actually really test them and has a good protocol of doing that.

So I've been spaming on Assdrop/Youtube to someone send one unit to Oluv for 2 months.

Zeos, Joshua Valour trusted reviewers? My ass, they are all Bad guy Bad reviews level, the last being the most ****ing moron cause bought ANEW U1 with his recommendation.

Metal & DMS are worth watching. But again Oluv *** on all reviewers cuz his standards are lvl 9000 the next 2nd gen Tyll guys.
Yeah I feel u. That guy recommended me Whizzer Kylin and my dumb ass brain followed his recommendation and bought one, ended up giving it to my younger brother. One of my worst purchase so far.

Dec 4, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #333 of 463

One man’s poor tuning is another’s delight. There’s always subjectivity involved, and I follow Oluv and think he’s a serious reviewer but I don’t always find his flavor to be mine.

I’d be very surprised if he liked the Edition XX, given his preferences, frankly, but I’m confident if he did it would likely help sales. I do like my HD 600 and Elex and I know he likes those pretty well, at least as references. But I found the HE-4XX to be rather boring and he liked those at least after some correction. He seems to put a neutral FR as the most critical aspect and while I do like having a neutral reference I also thoroughly enjoy colored cans like the Elear.

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #334 of 463
I was the one who pointed Drop at Oluv and told him to try recording and measuring headphones with in ear mics. If he keeps going and learning full time at the current rate, I'll never need to review another headphone ever again, and that's my goal anyway. True, Oluv and I are both big Tyll fans. A large point of starting up my channel was dissatisfaction with YT reviewers of the time, 5 years ago. Then Tyll retired and now we have huge shoes to fill. Luckily Rtings and oratory1990 and Jude are around to give us continued measurements of headphones in the post-Tyll audio world, too.

Who's that oratory1990? Google finds his preset eqs and reddit posts, a mess to follow his work. Does he have website or channel?

Dec 5, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #335 of 463
Who's that oratory1990? Google finds his preset eqs and reddit posts, a mess to follow his work. Does he have website or channel?
He has a subreddit. I don't pay attention to the EQ presets, since I use my ears and music to make my own in the end. Those PDFs are useful however because he has access to GRAS equipment to take measurements, and most people don't.

Dec 5, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #336 of 463
My EQ should get here in a few days. I'll play the game and use the settings. It looks pretty close to some of my cans. But the HE6SE? I very much doubt that.

Dec 7, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #337 of 463
My Edition XX arrived a couple of days but have had a very hectic week with two office moves in process, so I’ve had only a little head time with them, but, @dbsylvia, the short is I agree with your assessment overall, and I definitely do like them.

I’ll need a lot more head time to get past the new toy honeymoon phase, but I particularly liked them out of the Liquid CarbonX (using the balanced cable I got with the HE-560 v3), although they sounded pretty darn good just using the stock cable out of my Yulong D100 DAC/amp.

But, boy, is that the worst cable from a usability standpoint, I’ve ever had - it maintains its bends and it just gets in the way due to maintaining its shape.

948798E5-72E3-4C35-ABE4-757EFA8B8F22.jpeg

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #338 of 463
My Edition XX arrived a couple of days but have had a very hectic week with two office moves in process, so I’ve had only a little head time with them, but, @dbsylvia, the short is I agree with your assessment overall, and I definitely do like them.

I’ll need a lot more head time to get past the new toy honeymoon phase, but I particularly liked them out of the Liquid CarbonX (using the balanced cable I got with the HE-560 v3), although they sounded pretty darn good just using the stock cable out of my Yulong D100 DAC/amp.

But, boy, is that the worst cable from a usability standpoint, I’ve ever had - it maintains its bends and it just gets in the way due to maintaining its shape.

Awesomeness. I am glad you are enjoying them. That stock cable is the worst.

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #339 of 463

Please try it straight out of the smartphone too, that dac/amp game isn't for me, rather use my lg v30 that I trust enough.

Also I consider paint silver grills to matte black to upgrade sexiness, would that be the task that is worth effort?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #340 of 463
Please try it straight out of the smartphone too, that dac/amp game isn't for me, rather use my lg v30 that I trust enough.

Also I consider paint silver grills to matte black to upgrade sexiness, would that be the task that is worth effort?

I used to have an LG V20 (it's out on more or less permanent loan), I would have tried it on that if I still had that, but I didn't bother trying with my iPhone SE since I can't imagine they will sound very good out of that relatively weak amp in there.

As for painting the grills, well, it wouldn't be worth the effort for me because I would not even attempt it given my clumsiness, but I can't speak for anyone else. :sweat_smile:

Dec 9, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #341 of 463
Yeah, that's the same cable that they use in many of their higher end offerings (even the $6,000 Susvara) if you can believe that. I got fed up with the stock cables of the loaner Ananda's, so I made my own*. Sound quality-wise, they're fine. However, they get a big thumbs down for usability.

*Actually, I had a HE-6 prototype modded with 3.5mm connectors coming my way at the time, so it gave me an excuse to make my own XLR balanced cable.

Dec 26, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #342 of 463

Do you know if there's a guide to disassemble the grill from the ear cups? I always liked the look of the Arya and would love to paint the metal grills of the XX to black.

Dec 27, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #343 of 463
I got these yesterday! Been listening for a few hours. I had it burn in overnight (also got an Asgard 3 at the same time), and they're truly fantastic.

Wow. Dynamic, tight impact, extended & completely non-fatiguing highs, beautiful euphonic mids. The tonality is great, and while they may not be the most detailed cans ever, the enjoyability and versatility of the Edition XX usurps everything else.

They have more burn-in to do. But first impressions are fantastic. I also watched The Mandalorian finale with these on and man do they deliver. What's amazing to me is how the bass isn't there until it's called on, and the explosions and rumbling effects catch you off guard with how powerful and deep they can be. A fantastic experience with shows and movies I'd say.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #344 of 463
I am on a dragonfly if buy Arya with highender setup (Qutest + SS amp) I know I will be happy I like HEK. Or this Edition XX with little all in one setup. I love music but it is not like in past, today I listen sometimes 2-3x times a week and I am not as demanding but still want quality sound to fully enjoy music.
Is XX type of headphone that you looking forward to the next listening? I think XX could be good for me but reviews are not the most convincing..

Dec 31, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #345 of 463
I am on a dragonfly if buy Arya with highender setup (Qutest + SS amp) I know I will be happy I like HEK. Or this Edition XX with little all in one setup. I love music but it is not like in past, today I listen sometimes 2-3x times a week and I am not as demanding but still want quality sound to fully enjoy music.
Is XX type of headphone that you looking forward to the next listening? I think XX could be good for me but reviews are not the most convincing..
I enjoy every listening session I have with the Edition XX. I look forward to the time I can use it. I love my Edition XX. It is the perfect can for chilling and relaxing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back