Massdrop x Hifiman edition xx
Dec 2, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #302 of 463
Drop has these on sale now for $500 down from $600 normal price!

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-edition-xx-headphones

55FE0BE3-693B-4B77-ABB4-89836671D1A2.jpeg

Dec 3, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #305 of 463
Dec 3, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #306 of 463
The reviews on Drop are consistently good.

You mean the "XX" Drop? It's been mixed. But then again lots of people say lots of nice things about cans I believe are rubbish - and visa versa.

I want these for under $400 used to back up my HEX v2 and HE-500's.

Dec 3, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #307 of 463
21 reviews averaging 4.6 stars. Not a ton of reviews, but pretty overwhelmingly positive there. With them on sale at $500 I'd think under $400 used will be pretty normal.

Dec 3, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #308 of 463
21 reviews averaging 4.6 stars. Not a ton of reviews, but pretty overwhelmingly positive there. With them on sale at $500 I'd think under $400 used will be pretty normal.

There a number of comments on these here, the 4 letter site, and even reddit that complain about the 6 kHz brightness/ringing, lack of detail in the mids - very common comments

Dec 3, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #309 of 463
I only mentioned Drop, as I said. I don't dispute that there are some (proportionally quite few) negative comments there and elsewhere. Every headphone has detractors. The Elex doesn't fare much better (4.7) despite far more reviews. 4.6, 4.7 certainly seems like consensus on Drop at least that they're both very good. Even the 6XX is at 4.8. Of Zeos, Josh, and Metal571, only Metal was negative overall, and it seems his weren't a production pair given the serial number. Josh seemed to think more of the XX than the more expensive Ananda. I would definitely be wary though if those comments you reference are concerning.

Dec 3, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #310 of 463
I only mentioned Drop, as I said. I don't dispute that there are some (proportionally quite few) negative comments there and elsewhere. Every headphone has detractors. The Elex doesn't fare much better (4.7) despite far more reviews. 4.6, 4.7 certainly seems like consensus on Drop at least that they're both very good. Even the 6XX is at 4.8. Of Zeos, Josh, and Metal571, only Metal was negative overall, and it seems his weren't a production pair given the serial number. Josh seemed to think more of the XX than the more expensive Ananda. I would definitely be wary though if those comments you reference are concerning.

I personally enjoy the HEX v2 more than the Ananda. So I assume I'd like the XX more too. I agree that every can has detractors. I also agree that the Elex doesn't agree with me. Probably the worst thing anyone has said is the 2% THD at 6 kHz which if true is an issue.

Dec 3, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #311 of 463

The issue is that there are scant reviews by well-known, trusted reviewers, and probably the ones I trust the most as far as objectivity who did review it, do raise some issues. Of the ones you mentioned:
  • Metal571 was really unimpressed, and he's someone I trust fairly highly, but you are right that he might have received a unit with issues, given that 0 serial number, perhaps.
  • Joshua Valour seemed to give them a conditional recommendation if the sound signature and comfort are a match-- he did like the headband on it better than the Ananda, and he liked the comfort -- but I wouldn't say he thought it was a slam dunk over the Ananda by any means, giving the nod to Ananda in the treble and on detail, and to the XX if you like a more relaxed sound, and I believe gave them the edge on bass as well
  • Zeos -- well he's an outlier on this one really, going as far as to say that the only difference between this and the Arya no less(forget comparisons to the cheaper Ananda!) was that the XX was closer-in (more intimate, less spacious) and less detailed -- but declared that those were the only two differences and he didn't think it merited the $1000 difference in price.... and I love Zeos for entertainment and to give me, sometimes at least, some idea about the sound, but he's the least objective of the these three in my opinion by far
I think a better impression and treatment of these comes from DIY Audio Heaven (https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/hifiman/edition-xx-massdrop/) who does give them an overall favorable nod I'd say but with some caveats:

A very, very nice sounding headphone. The special Massdrop pricing makes this headphone an excellent buy. Of course this headphone can’t be bought in the stores but for them a Edition Xv2 or Ananda is a reasonable alternative.
For about the same price there is also the Sundara but this one has a different driver and looks. To me the Sundara is slightly coarser sounding though.
The HE1000 has a similar tonal balance but is a bit airier sounding and a more refined.

But he also raises some issues:

The sound signature is very realistic and dynamic. Perhaps leaning somewhat to bass-lean side of things for some. Slightly lacks in ‘grunt’ but sub-bass is still heard and impresses if recorded loud enough. The treble peak is the weak spot of this headphone. When you are not bothered by it than this is great. For treble sensitive folks, like me, it is a bit too much. This makes the headphone a tad ‘sharp’ sounding.
And that 6 KHz distortion issue that @bagwell359 brought up:

The Distortion spike around 6kHz is real though and reaches an audible 2%. This and the treble peak are responsible for the sharpish ‘edge’.
So, I'm not sure what to think, but I'll find out in a few days when they arrive! :)

Dec 3, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #312 of 463
The issue is that there are scant reviews by well-known, trusted reviewers, and probably the ones I trust the most as far as objectivity who did review it, do raise some issues. Of the ones you mentioned:
  • Metal571 was really unimpressed, and he's someone I trust fairly highly, but you are right that he might have received a unit with issues, given that 0 serial number, perhaps.
  • Joshua Valour seemed to give them a conditional recommendation if the sound signature and comfort are a match-- he did like the headband on it better than the Ananda, and he liked the comfort -- but I wouldn't say he thought it was a slam dunk over the Ananda by any means, giving the nod to Ananda in the treble and on detail, and to the XX if you like a more relaxed sound, and I believe gave them the edge on bass as well
  • Zeos -- well he's an outlier on this one really, going as far as to say that the only difference between this and the Arya no less(forget comparisons to the cheaper Ananda!) was that the XX was closer-in (more intimate, less spacious) and less detailed -- but declared that those were the only two differences and he didn't think it merited the $1000 difference in price.... and I love Zeos for entertainment and to give me, sometimes at least, some idea about the sound, but he's the least objective of the these three in my opinion by far
I think a better impression and treatment of these comes from DIY Audio Heaven (https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/hifiman/edition-xx-massdrop/) who does give them an overall favorable nod I'd say but with some caveats:

A very, very nice sounding headphone. The special Massdrop pricing makes this headphone an excellent buy. Of course this headphone can’t be bought in the stores but for them a Edition Xv2 or Ananda is a reasonable alternative.
For about the same price there is also the Sundara but this one has a different driver and looks. To me the Sundara is slightly coarser sounding though.
The HE1000 has a similar tonal balance but is a bit airier sounding and a more refined.

But he also raises some issues:

The sound signature is very realistic and dynamic. Perhaps leaning somewhat to bass-lean side of things for some. Slightly lacks in ‘grunt’ but sub-bass is still heard and impresses if recorded loud enough. The treble peak is the weak spot of this headphone. When you are not bothered by it than this is great. For treble sensitive folks, like me, it is a bit too much. This makes the headphone a tad ‘sharp’ sounding.
And that 6 KHz distortion issue that @bagwell359 brought up:

The Distortion spike around 6kHz is real though and reaches an audible 2%. This and the treble peak are responsible for the sharpish ‘edge’.
So, I'm not sure what to think, but I'll find out in a few days when they arrive! :)

I reviewed them on my channel and on Drop.com and I don't have an issue at all with the peaky treble or lean bass. I am sensitive to the upper mids/lower treble regions, if they are aggressive. I find the XX to be very smooth and relaxed in those areas. Here is what I said in my review on drop.com:
"Bass- amazing, deep, fast, clean, detailed and impactful. Mids - smooth, relaxed with a hint of warmth but natural sounding with good clarity and details Treble - effortless, laidback but good extension and clarity Soundstage - wide but intimate at the same time Imaging - placement is okay not the most precise Details - clear and present but not forced''
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hif...s/2476443?utm_source=linkshare&referer=FTSS2S

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #314 of 463
Soulsik from Next Big Thing Studio youtube channel also loved these for what it's worth!

Yeah, I saw his review, and I appreciate his impressions but I haven't honestly been convinced that he's more than an enthusiast whose impressions aren't as reliable as say DIY Audio Heaven or Metal571 -- no offense to NBTS intended, of course. I'm just not sure I'm convinced his impressions are any more authoritative than my own, and I'm always hoping a reviewer's ears and competency are higher than mine, I guess. :D

Dec 3, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #315 of 463
I reviewed them on my channel and on Drop.com and I don't have an issue at all with the peaky treble or lean bass. I am sensitive to the upper mids/lower treble regions, if they are aggressive. I find the XX to be very smooth and relaxed in those areas. Here is what I said in my review on drop.com:
"Bass- amazing, deep, fast, clean, detailed and impactful. Mids - smooth, relaxed with a hint of warmth but natural sounding with good clarity and details Treble - effortless, laidback but good extension and clarity Soundstage - wide but intimate at the same time Imaging - placement is okay not the most precise Details - clear and present but not forced''
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hif...s/2476443?utm_source=linkshare&referer=FTSS2S

Yeah, I've seen your review and impressions videos on them, and I'm hoping I agree with them, having just dropped the money for them. :sweat_smile:

I'm wondering if DIY Audio Heaven had the same early review unit that @metal571 had and panned pretty solidly, and perhaps that distortion at 6 KHz and the treble peaks were what offended @metal571's ears.

It just seems that not enough of these have sold and it's not HiFIMAN / Drop have promoted these all that aggressively to get them into more reviewer's hands -- or perhaps they did and some didn't want to crap on them so they declined to actually review them. I'm just speculating of course -- and hoping I'm wrong about that -- unless it was a case of that one (possibly very flawed) unit being passed around.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back