Massdrop x Hifiman edition xx
Oct 28, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #286 of 463
Allright, so I'm thinking about biting into the bullet here, and buying the XX.

Main reason I'm holding back, and / or considering other models - is major complaints with build quality when it comes to HifiMan as a brand, so spilling out 600$ + 25% import tax and shipping to Europe puts me on the fence for now.

Anyone had their XX since around the release, with extensive use? How have they kept up?
It has the same headband as HE4xx?

I'm making this my endgame investment probably ( yea rite ) and looking in the sub 1k$ range, am I looking the right way?

I tend to like airy, detailed sound - where the sub bass is still present. I love good layering and imaging, good instrument seperation, clear sound, lifelike vocals, instruments that doesn't sound too dry / cold and has a hint of warmth to them, I just want pure bliss when I put my headphones on.

Have to admit that planar bass sounds exciting ( never tried planars before ), though without reaching basshead amounts being tempting :)

Based on the descriptions I've seen so far XX seems like a good choice, and advise would be welcome ( I'm coming from DT 770 pro's without necessarily liking that sound signature, and a wide variety of IEMS ).

Is LCD2C overrated, or could that be an alternative?

A thought that has crossed me in this process is that I can get a HD6xx + HE4xx + Dragonfly Red ( I currently have black ) for the same price, which not necessarily will grant me as good audio quality, but versatility.

Any advise for me to make my decision greatly appreciated, the description of the XX has me pretty interested to say the least.

According to what you stated, Sennheiser HD800 might be the headphone for you. The only thing is the bass in hd800S is adequate and not rich.

Similarly, I was also interested in the XX but as the warranty is not applicable in my country i got a HD800 instead. Hifiman has a bad reputation in quality control and imo it is not wise to take the risk.

Oct 28, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #287 of 463
Allright, so I'm thinking about biting into the bullet here, and buying the XX.

Main reason I'm holding back, and / or considering other models - is major complaints with build quality when it comes to HifiMan as a brand, so spilling out 600$ + 25% import tax and shipping to Europe puts me on the fence for now.

Anyone had their XX since around the release, with extensive use? How have they kept up?
It has the same headband as HE4xx?

I'm making this my endgame investment probably ( yea rite ) and looking in the sub 1k$ range, am I looking the right way?

I tend to like airy, detailed sound - where the sub bass is still present. I love good layering and imaging, good instrument seperation, clear sound, lifelike vocals, instruments that doesn't sound too dry / cold and has a hint of warmth to them, I just want pure bliss when I put my headphones on.

Have to admit that planar bass sounds exciting ( never tried planars before ), though without reaching basshead amounts being tempting :)

Based on the descriptions I've seen so far XX seems like a good choice, and advise would be welcome ( I'm coming from DT 770 pro's without necessarily liking that sound signature, and a wide variety of IEMS ).

Is LCD2C overrated, or could that be an alternative?

A thought that has crossed me in this process is that I can get a HD6xx + HE4xx + Dragonfly Red ( I currently have black ) for the same price, which not necessarily will grant me as good audio quality, but versatility.

Any advise for me to make my decision greatly appreciated, the description of the XX has me pretty interested to say the least.
I have had my Edition XX for about 6 months. Haven't had one single issue with quality. I think the XX is very well built, especially for a Hifiman.

As for sound, depends on what you want. I think the Edition XX is a wise choice. End game, hmm not sure as that is hard to define, everyone says end game means different.

Edition XX is a excellent introduction into world of planar as is a big upgrade from the 4xx.

I recommend the Edition XX to you based on your preferred sound signature. Detailed, natural, laid-back, seperation in instruments, natural vocals.l, not dry or cold sounding but has a kiss of warmth.

Oct 28, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #288 of 463
According to what you stated, Sennheiser HD800 might be the headphone for you. The only thing is the bass in hd800S is adequate and not rich.

Similarly, I was also interested in the XX but as the warranty is not applicable in my country i got a HD800 instead. Hifiman has a bad reputation in quality control and imo it is not wise to take the risk.

My experiences differ:

10 years old: HE5LE
7 years old: HE-500
3 years old or newer: MD-4XX, HE5SE, HEX v2

all work properly, nothing broken.

Oct 28, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #289 of 463
My experiences differ:

10 years old: HE5LE
7 years old: HE-500
3 years old or newer: MD-4XX, HE5SE, HEX v2

all work properly, nothing broken.

Wow that is impressive but If your headphone broke you probably can get it fixed by Hifiman in America right? I can't get it fix in Singapore as with most collaboration product from Massdrop.

It is the same for HD6XX and Ether CX, I were advised that I have to send the headphone back to US to have it repaired/ replaced and
shipping to and from US is expensive.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #290 of 463
Wow that is impressive but If your headphone broke you probably can get it fixed by Hifiman in America right? I can't get it fix in Singapore as with most collaboration product from Massdrop.

It is the same for HD6XX and Ether CX, I were advised that I have to send the headphone back to US to have it repaired/ replaced and
shipping to and from US is expensive.

The HE-500, HEX v2, and HE5LE all second hand, so no support there. The 5LE was originally sold in Japan, so that's like a double knot.

Good luck!

Oct 30, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #291 of 463
anyone got measurements of the various hifiman models that look the same? I ask because id love to swap the headband off of the XX to something else. seems like it should theoretically be plug and play with the removal of a couple screws per ear cup. The headband is honestly fine but i hav a small head and even at its lowest setting the XX feels like its sitting just a tad bit too low.

i dont know why people say these are "Easy to drive". Its 20 ohm impedance but only 93db sensitivity. Seems they do need a decent amount of juice to really sing properly. JDS Labs Atom is doing fine for music (it always has for me, music is always loud) but for movies, netflix, tv shows, im sometimes having to crank it. As it is, I cant get these properly driven on low gain mode, the high gain mode must be enabled.

What are you guys using for cables? the one it comes with is horrible, I bought something cheap on amazon for temporary usage while I figure out parts to DIY my own.

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #292 of 463
anyone got measurements of the various hifiman models that look the same? I ask because id love to swap the headband off of the XX to something else. seems like it should theoretically be plug and play with the removal of a couple screws per ear cup. The headband is honestly fine but i hav a small head and even at its lowest setting the XX feels like its sitting just a tad bit too low.

i dont know why people say these are "Easy to drive". Its 20 ohm impedance but only 93db sensitivity. Seems they do need a decent amount of juice to really sing properly. JDS Labs Atom is doing fine for music (it always has for me, music is always loud) but for movies, netflix, tv shows, im sometimes having to crank it. As it is, I cant get these properly driven on low gain mode, the high gain mode must be enabled.

What are you guys using for cables? the one it comes with is horrible, I bought something cheap on amazon for temporary usage while I figure out parts to DIY my own.

I would find out if the HEK or HEX headbands would fit, they see if you can buy one from HFM or maybe get a pair from a blown up HFM. The other thing to try is the Dekoni Nuggets, I use them on my HEX v2 w/ the normal headband and you still need them.

I bought them used with the Arctic Cable Cardas. Seemed good but I changed - see my sig, I find they are better, but our cans are similar not the same. I wanted more def and sparkle and I got it.

Nov 1, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #293 of 463
I have had my Edition XX for about 6 months. Haven't had one single issue with quality. I think the XX is very well built, especially for a Hifiman.

As for sound, depends on what you want. I think the Edition XX is a wise choice. End game, hmm not sure as that is hard to define, everyone says end game means different.

Edition XX is a excellent introduction into world of planar as is a big upgrade from the 4xx.

I recommend the Edition XX to you based on your preferred sound signature. Detailed, natural, laid-back, seperation in instruments, natural vocals.l, not dry or cold sounding but has a kiss of warmth.

Thanks for your reply, I auditioned the LCD2C a couple of days ago, which has a somewhat similar sound signature from my understanding as the XX, though sub-par conditions, as I was using my dragonfly black as a DAC/amp.
It was nice, but I have to dish out close to 950$ for it where I live.

The XX might be a refined edition of the LCD2C in some ways, and is a cheaper option but at this point in time I want to put my money elsewhere.

For 600$ I can get a CTH + SDAC, HE4xx, and 6xx, so think I'll start there for now, and look upwards after getting some more time with "lower grade equipment" :)

Nov 2, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #295 of 463
Thanks for your reply, I auditioned the LCD2C a couple of days ago, which has a somewhat similar sound signature from my understanding as the XX, though sub-par conditions, as I was using my dragonfly black as a DAC/amp.
It was nice, but I have to dish out close to 950$ for it where I live.

The XX might be a refined edition of the LCD2C in some ways, and is a cheaper option but at this point in time I want to put my money elsewhere.

For 600$ I can get a CTH + SDAC, HE4xx, and 6xx, so think I'll start there for now, and look upwards after getting some more time with "lower grade equipment" :)

Wait. It the Edition XX is very similar to the Hex v2, which I own, there is no way the LCD2C (which I also owned) is similar.

The LCD2C has strong visceral bass, a reserved/deficient upper mid/low treble and a long downward drop over 10kHz. It's deep and rich overall.

The Hex v2 goes down to 20 Hz, but its not visceral. It's very cohesive overall, but doesn't have a lot of body, certainly not like the Audeze.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #296 of 463
null

Nov 9, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #299 of 463
I have only heard the LCD-1 briefly at a recent head-fi meet. Not near enough time to compare to the Edition v2. I hope to get a set in some time for review and compare.

Would be awesome bro.

Oluv told lcd1 make hd600 line up sound muddy, can't wait for a full review. Tho Edition XX was my ultimate goal. Need him get reviewed both ASAP. Btw XX has been 1 year on Drop, maybe discount cut inc soon.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #300 of 463
20191111_220101.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back