Massdrop x Hifiman edition xx
Aug 10, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #257 of 463
DX220_XX_MEZE.jpg

Aug 30, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #259 of 463
So I received a pair of Edition XX today and was excited to try them out. Immediately after listening to them for a few minutes, I noticed a channel imbalance.
Went ahead and tested playing mono sound from each side and it seems from rudimentary sound measuring to be around 3-4 db (Right side is louder).

To make matters worse, I am in EU so warranty/replacement will be long/ hell. Lesson learned from Hifiman QC... Audeze needs to make lighter planars.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #260 of 463
So I received a pair of Edition XX today and was excited to try them out. Immediately after listening to them for a few minutes, I noticed a channel imbalance.
Went ahead and tested playing mono sound from each side and it seems from rudimentary sound measuring to be around 3-4 db (Right side is louder).

To make matters worse, I am in EU so warranty/replacement will be long/ hell. Lesson learned from Hifiman QC... Audeze needs to make lighter planars.
Sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue. Drop should assist with a replacement. Don't give up on Hifiman just because of this one time. For the most part the Edition XX has not had a lot of QC issues from what I have seen from reviews. I have had issues with other gear including Hifiman and Cavalli but in the end sticking with repairs or returns always pays off when a good working product arrives after resolution with the seller or mfg. Please don't give up on the Edition XX because of this issue, they deserve another chance.

Aug 30, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #261 of 463
Sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue. Drop should assist with a replacement. Don't give up on Hifiman just because of this one time. For the most part the Edition XX has not had a lot of QC issues from what I have seen from reviews. I have had issues with other gear including Hifiman and Cavalli but in the end sticking with repairs or returns always pays off when a good working product arrives after resolution with the seller or mfg. Please don't give up on the Edition XX because of this issue, they deserve another chance.

Yeah, I did contact Drop and waiting for their response. I might also try Hifiman directly if Drop doesn't have a good solution.
In the mean time, I'll try to balance left right with software to see how they would sound.

Sep 3, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #262 of 463

Hi there, if you could contact us at customerservice@hifiman.com we can see how we can help.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Sep 3, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #263 of 463
Hi there, if you could contact us at customerservice@hifiman.com we can see how we can help.

Thanks but I already sent it to Drop via UPS as they offered to replace it after sending it back. It did get stuck at export customs so have to wait and see how that goes.
(And then import customs for the replacement...)

Sep 6, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #264 of 463
Thanks but I already sent it to Drop via UPS as they offered to replace it after sending it back. It did get stuck at export customs so have to wait and see how that goes.
(And then import customs for the replacement...)

Please let us know how you liked them compared to the Clear :)

Sep 6, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #266 of 463
Sep 6, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #268 of 463
Has anyone had a chance to compare these to the Anada's?
Please see link to Josh Valour comparison video on post #233 if you haven't yet.

Sep 18, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #269 of 463
Got the replacement pair and now the channel balance seems good. Haven't had the chance to listen too much yet but initial impressions are what I wanted.
I was searching for a more relaxing listening than the Clear as it can be a bit intense at times. Especially if you run it through low impedance SS amp.
Running these balanced from the Sabaj D5.

I do think the Clear is ahead in terms of detail. It is quite a bit more expensive too.

In the end I do have to give Drop props for handling the replacement. It wasn't too lengthy and their customer support was nice enough to answer me multiple times.

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #270 of 463
Got the replacement pair and now the channel balance seems good. Haven't had the chance to listen too much yet but initial impressions are what I wanted.
I was searching for a more relaxing listening than the Clear as it can be a bit intense at times. Especially if you run it through low impedance SS amp.
Running these balanced from the Sabaj D5.

I do think the Clear is ahead in terms of detail. It is quite a bit more expensive too.

In the end I do have to give Drop props for handling the replacement. It wasn't too lengthy and their customer support was nice enough to answer me multiple times.
Awesomeness. I am glad that you are enjoying them and gave them a second chance. They truly are a unique headphone. I love them so much.

When you mentioned comparison to the Focal Clear, it started me thinking about how it would compare to the Focal Elex. I will have to have a comparison listening session. Thank you for the idea of a comparison video, Focal Elex and the Hifiman Edition XX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back