Massdrop x Hifiman edition xx
Dec 3, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #316 of 463
Yeah, I've seen your review and impressions videos on them, and I'm hoping agree with them, having just dropped the money for them. :sweat_smile:

I'm wondering if DIY Audio Heaven had the same early review unit that @metal571 had and panned pretty solidly, and perhaps that distortion at 6 KHz and the treble peaks were what offended @metal571's ears.

It just seems that not enough of these have sold and it's not HiFIMAN / Drop have promoted these all that aggressively to get them into more reviewer's hands -- or perhaps they did and some didn't want to crap on them so they declined to actually review them. I'm just speculating of course -- and hoping I'm wrong about that -- unless it was a case of that one (possibly very flawed) unit being passed around.
It's possible that only one review unit was passed around. I bought mine during the second drop.
Not sure why so many limited reviews but it does seem a little odd.
I know that gear used can make a huge difference in sound interpretation and everyone hears differently and has different preferences.

Oh boy, (sweating) I hope I got that review right :cold_sweat::joy:. I am sure you will enjoy them and I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #317 of 463
Wow! It took a long time for this thread to fire up, and I think it has.

Dec 3, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #318 of 463
Yeah, I've seen your review and impressions videos on them, and I'm hoping I agree with them, having just dropped the money for them. :sweat_smile:

I'm wondering if DIY Audio Heaven had the same early review unit that @metal571 had and panned pretty solidly, and perhaps that distortion at 6 KHz and the treble peaks were what offended @metal571's ears.

It just seems that not enough of these have sold and it's not HiFIMAN / Drop have promoted these all that aggressively to get them into more reviewer's hands -- or perhaps they did and some didn't want to crap on them so they declined to actually review them. I'm just speculating of course -- and hoping I'm wrong about that -- unless it was a case of that one (possibly very flawed) unit being passed around.
I probably should have asked for a different serial number. Wouldn't be the first time I've done that, but that doesn't bode well for the product. Nowadays I'd probably just have straight declined, but oratory1990's graph of the Edition XX doesn't look anything like what I heard, much more Edition X-like or Ananda-like in the treble. And I like the Ananda.

Dec 4, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #319 of 463
Wow! It took a long time for this thread to fire up, and I think it has.

LOL, I think it's because of the sale at Drop -- going from $600 to $500 convinced about 30 people so far to take a chance. But there's a whole other gaggle of people who still aren't biting until it goes to $400 or lower, they say. They're not selling like hotcakes yet, that's for sure, but they've been at 350-ish for several weeks as I recall and today, a couple of days into the sale (or possibly the 3rd day? can't recall, I joined the first day, whenever that was) they've finally inched up to 381.

It's possible that only one review unit was passed around. I bought mine during the second drop.
Not sure why so many limited reviews but it does seem a little odd.
I know that gear used can make a huge difference in sound interpretation and everyone hears differently and has different preferences.

Oh boy, (sweating) I hope I got that review right :cold_sweat::joy:. I am sure you will enjoy them and I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Well, it's audio, it's subjective, you got it right to your ears, and there is some commonality between your description and Joshua Valor's, so there's probably something there to it. :wink:

And I definitely hope I enjoy them, too! I'm quite optimistic about it, really... but I bet if I didn't like them @bagwell359 might be interested in buying them from me, though I suspect at somewhere near the $350 price point so I might not be in a rush to sell them even if I'm unsure at first... :wink:

Dec 4, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #320 of 463
I'm planning to get the 4xx but i heard the build quality is crap. Is that true? I need a pair of headphone that will last at least 2 years

Dec 4, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #321 of 463
I'm planning to get the 4xx but i heard the build quality is crap. Is that true? I need a pair of headphone that will last at least 2 years

I don't know where that has come from, but I've heard that, too, but that wasn't my experience with them. They felt solid to me and I never had an issue with mine, although I just sold them because I found I liked the HE-560 better and I wasn't using the HE-4XX anymore. I've not had any issues with any of my "modern" HiFIMAN (I have the HE-560 in both the SMC-connector variant and the last v3 variant from Adorama, and the HE-5SE as well as the HE-4XX before I sold them), but I did have an issue with my first pair of HE-400, the screw that keeps the metal piece that attaches the headband to the ear cups would sometimes come out and I'd have to put it back in -- but my latest HE-400 doesn't have that issue, and the HE-4XX never had any issues.

Maybe there was a bad batch of the HE-4XX at some point because I swear I've heard some people say that this is an issue with that headphone and I just didn't experience that at all, though, personally.

Dec 4, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #322 of 463
A couple people I know in my old gaming clan bought 4XXs and almost without fail the pads started tearing apart on their own in just a couple months, but the headphone itself was able to hold together though. It might last 2 years, but you may go through quite a few pads in that time, lol

Dec 4, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #323 of 463
I probably should have asked for a different serial number. Wouldn't be the first time I've done that, but that doesn't bode well for the product. Nowadays I'd probably just have straight declined, but oratory1990's graph of the Edition XX doesn't look anything like what I heard, much more Edition X-like or Ananda-like in the treble. And I like the Ananda.

See, now I’m going to take that as a good sign because I’ve heard good things from reputable folk about the Edition X (including Tyll, who liked them but didn’t put them on his wall of fame because they were too pricey) and the Ananda as well. Indeed, I was struggling between getting the Edition XX and Ananda (on sale many places for $699), but the $200 difference and the mystery of a less known choice was part of the fun. :p

Dec 4, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #324 of 463
I have owned my 4xx for close to 2 years and they are in excellent shape. I changed the pads to Dekoni pads as I found the stock pads to be uncomfy. I haven't had any issues with them whatsoever, build quality is top notch.

Dec 4, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #325 of 463
Someone send Metal another pair asap!

Dec 4, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #326 of 463
Didn't see this posted anywhere yet. Stated as being similar to the edition x v2 in collaboration with massdrop using the old style Hifiman headband.

Note: The Massdrop x HIFIMAN Edition XX headphones will launch November 1 at 6 a.m. PT for $599.99. Shipping is free to US members with subsidized international shipping. (Thanks @GirgleMirt )

Good price!

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-edition-xx-headphones
Thanks For Sharing Such An Interesting Article, It Is Really Worthy To Read. I Have Subscribed To You And From Now On I'll Check Your Profile Daily For Interesting Stuffs.
agents of shield jacket

Dec 4, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #327 of 463
Thank you for the reply guys. I think i'm going to order a pair. Hopefully I will receive the good batch.

Dec 4, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #329 of 463

Had a pair for 2 years they are fine, but some have had problems.

Dec 4, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #330 of 463
Bitch please, let's all agree that the one and only reviewer out there is Oluv @ Oluv's Gadgets youtube channel, he actually really test them and has a good protocol of doing that.

So I've been spamming on Assdrop/Youtube to someone send one unit to Oluv for 2 months.

Not gonna buy if his tests reveals poor tunning.

Zeos, Joshua Valour trusted reviewers? My ass, they are all Bad guy Bad reviews level, the last being the most ****ing moron cause bought ANEW U1 with his recommendation.

Metal & DMS are worth watching. But again Oluv crap on all reviewers cuz his standards are lvl 9000 the next 2nd gen Tyll guys. Das auto quality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back