Massdrop x Hifiman edition xx
Sep 18, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #271 of 463
I was searching for a more relaxing listening than the Clear as it can be a bit intense at times. Especially if you run it through low impedance SS amp.
Running these balanced from the Sabaj D5.

Yep, the Clear is intense at times. I really think the Edition XX is a better all-arounder. Detail isn't always what's it's cracked up to be. If I was to spend that kind of money, I'd go for HiFiMan Arya rather than the Clear. Last week I spent 4 hours listening with Edition XX and forgot I had headphones on--I was just into the music videos and forgot; disappearing into that spacious HiFiMan presentation.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #272 of 463
Got the replacement pair and now the channel balance seems good. Haven't had the chance to listen too much yet but initial impressions are what I wanted.
I was searching for a more relaxing listening than the Clear as it can be a bit intense at times. Especially if you run it through low impedance SS amp.
Running these balanced from the Sabaj D5.

I do think the Clear is ahead in terms of detail. It is quite a bit more expensive too.

In the end I do have to give Drop props for handling the replacement. It wasn't too lengthy and their customer support was nice enough to answer me multiple times.

Yep, the Clear is intense at times. I really think the Edition XX is a better all-arounder. Detail isn't always what's it's cracked up to be. If I was to spend that kind of money, I'd go for HiFiMan Arya rather than the Clear. Last week I spent 4 hours listening with Edition XX and forgot I had headphones on--I was just into the music videos and forgot; disappearing into that spacious HiFiMan presentation.
@Tonza - It's always good to hear when companies do the right thing, glad it went smoothly.

I'm also glad to see the comparisons to the Clear. I hadn't really heard that it can be too intense at times, but that's good feedback. Also very good to see the positive feedback on the Edition XX. Those would be on my radar if I decided to upgrade at some point. Very possible that might happen in the next year or so.

Sep 29, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #273 of 463
I am noticing I tend to pick up the Edition XX instead of my other headphones when I want to listen in the evening.
That's most of my listening time at home. It's just easy to put on and forget about.

Sep 29, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #274 of 463
I am noticing I tend to pick up the Edition XX instead of my other headphones when I want to listen in the evening.
That's most of my listening time at home. It's just easy to put on and forget about.
I am glad you are enjoying them so much. I find myself doing the same thing, grabbing the Edition XX for a calm and relaxing evening of music enjoyment.

Oct 2, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #275 of 463

I find myself doing the same thing, grabbing the Edition XX for a calm and relaxing evening of music enjoyment.

That's what happens with me. You just put XX on and forget you've got headphones on. My attention just goes to the music video and I forget I'm wearing headphones. They just sort of get out of the way.....

Oct 19, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #276 of 463
Wonder if drop.com will discount them someday, maybe it will be a proper upgrade from hd668b, i was patient enough.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #277 of 463
I'm contemplating buying these in the next couple of months, but they haven't be selling like hotcakes, that's for sure -- at this moment, Drop shows only 335 sold so far. I'm betting if they shaved off $100 to $150, there might be a more-than-linear increase in sales.

Oct 25, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #278 of 463
The Ether CX has been out longer I think and has only sold 482. I think there was a bad review of them (meaning the XX), which dampened sales. Interestingly that review mentioned them being grainy, which has not been the case for me at all. Also they've been going for $450-500 used, which is an option if you don't have to have new.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #279 of 463
Interestingly that review mentioned them being grainy, which has not been the case for me at all.

There was no excuse for that review. Edition XX is a wonderful headphone. There is no downside to them. They just get out of the way. I love the relaxed, open, airy, presentation they have. Finest headphone I've ever owned.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #280 of 463
Yeah, it's too bad what a single negative review can do. They must have been a defective pair, but I thought Drop had sent them to him for review. Josh Valour's take was much more like what I hear with them.

Oct 25, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #281 of 463
Yeah, it's too bad what a single negative review can do. They must have been a defective pair, but I thought Drop had sent them to him for review. Josh Valour's take was much more like what I hear with them.
I got serial 0000. No idea how representative it is of what's actually out there in the wild, honestly. Other than a large upgrade in stage and bass extension over 4XX, it was just too hazy to feel like it's worth the money in my experience.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #282 of 463
I got serial 0000. No idea how representative it is of what's actually out there in the wild, honestly. Other than a large upgrade in stage and bass extension over 4XX, it was just too hazy to feel like it's worth the money in my experience.
Yeah, that is what made me think it was defective. Seems they should have checked them before sending out. Mine are 0393. I wonder if 0000 means it was pre-production or something.

Oct 25, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #284 of 463
Yeah, that is what made me think it was defective. Seems they should have checked them before sending out. Mine are 0393. I wonder if 0000 means it was pre-production or something.
Wouldn't even be the first time. I reviewed two Elex units and purposefully kept the reviews on both of them up so people could see my reaction, and detail was actually different on each one. The funny part is Drop themselves sent me the Edition XX, so they probably should listen to the things they send out to reviewers more often...

I can only review the sound of what I'm sent, and unfortunately unit variation is a real thing in this hobby.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #285 of 463
Allright, so I'm thinking about biting into the bullet here, and buying the XX.

Main reason I'm holding back, and / or considering other models - is major complaints with build quality when it comes to HifiMan as a brand, so spilling out 600$ + 25% import tax and shipping to Europe puts me on the fence for now.

Anyone had their XX since around the release, with extensive use? How have they kept up?
It has the same headband as HE4xx?

I'm making this my endgame investment probably ( yea rite ) and looking in the sub 1k$ range, am I looking the right way?

I tend to like airy, detailed sound - where the sub bass is still present. I love good layering and imaging, good instrument seperation, clear sound, lifelike vocals, instruments that doesn't sound too dry / cold and has a hint of warmth to them, I just want pure bliss when I put my headphones on.

Have to admit that planar bass sounds exciting ( never tried planars before ), though without reaching basshead amounts being tempting :)

Based on the descriptions I've seen so far XX seems like a good choice, and advise would be welcome ( I'm coming from DT 770 pro's without necessarily liking that sound signature, and a wide variety of IEMS ).

Is LCD2C overrated, or could that be an alternative?

A thought that has crossed me in this process is that I can get a HD6xx + HE4xx + Dragonfly Red ( I currently have black ) for the same price, which not necessarily will grant me as good audio quality, but versatility.

Any advise for me to make my decision greatly appreciated, the description of the XX has me pretty interested to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back