Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Oct 29, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #1,832 of 2,030
Hello guys,
May I ask if anyone here use the Elex for several years without problems? And in case the headphone stopping working, anyone successfully repaired it? Tks
I've had and used the Elex for 2-2.5 years, and both cables have failed, and an earpad has developed a small tear on the outside/top portion of the pad w/ no noticeable difference in sound. No driver problems at all; they have never failed to produce music, and done it very well to my tastes.

Oct 29, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #1,833 of 2,030
I've had and used the Elex for 2-2.5 years, and both cables have failed, and an earpad has developed a small tear on the outside/top portion of the pad w/ no noticeable difference in sound. No driver problems at all; they have never failed to produce music, and done it very well to my tastes.
Have the elex for 3 and a half yrs with no problems. Only setback was dekoni earpads due to inferior quality and balanced cable which i abused. Using original focal clear pads now at great price from headphones.com.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #1,834 of 2,030
I’ve had my Elear with clear pads, which is the same thing for 2.5 years and have had no issues.

Oct 29, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #1,835 of 2,030
In less than a year, three stock XLR cables failed. I finally replaced it with a cable from Periapt that has worked for several years without issue. I've had no other problems but really don't use the Elex anymore since I got a couple of headphones (ZMF Aeolus, Hifiman Arya) that I prefer.

Oct 29, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #1,836 of 2,030
Has anyone else experienced a slight crackle/pop once in a while? It's almost like a static or clipping noise, it only happens once every few hours and doesn't bother me, just wondering if it's normal.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #1,837 of 2,030
Hello guys,
May I ask if anyone here use the Elex for several years without problems? And in case the headphone stopping working, anyone successfully repaired it? Tks
I am at about 2-2.5yrs of use and no problem ever. I don't use the stock cables. The pads are looking a little worn, but I have an extra set that I ordered from Drop quite some time ago.
I LOVE these headphones.

Oct 29, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #1,838 of 2,030
Hello guys,

I’ve had my Elear with clear pads, which is the same thing for 2.5 years and have had no issues.
As Jasonb, i have a Focal Elear since 2016 (and with Clear Pads later) and zero problems

Oct 29, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #1,839 of 2,030
Has anyone else experienced a slight crackle/pop once in a while? It's almost like a static or clipping noise, it only happens once every few hours and doesn't bother me, just wondering if it's normal.
No but i do hear some minor creaking of the headband when i turn my head during listening. I have a great fix for this common problem.

Oct 31, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #1,842 of 2,030
Can you please share your fix solution? Tks
I believe most of the creaking that people are hearing when they turn their head comes from the area where the neck meets the head band.
Some have used a dry lubricant in that area that i find to be ridiculous as it smells terrible and can make a mess and ruin your phone if the stuff spreads.
I had creaking on the left side.
What i did was to wrap a peace of index card with black cloth tape and insert into slot as shown. It stays in place even when i slide it to a different position. This fix totally got rid of the noise.

Attachments

• 20221031_090306.jpg
    20221031_090306.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Nov 6, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #1,845 of 2,030
Are there any good alternatives for new Elex pads? The Dekoni Velour are comfy enough but the sound isn't quite as good as with Elex/Clear pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back