Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Jul 4, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #1,801 of 2,030
This is deja vu. This issue was discussed at length in this thread, and in other forums, three or four years ago when the Elex was new. Focal conceded that the Elex driver is intentionally designed to physically clip but only at extreme volume; I forget the exact number, but it's well north of 100 dBs. However, it is clear that many sets, though clearly not all, clipped at substantially lower volume. My impression is that Focal quality control--at least on the Elex, which is probably not a priority for them--in a word, stinks. In under a year, I had three (as in one! two! three!) stock XLR cables die in one channel even though they were carefully treated and never left my apartment. I returned the headphone to Drop the first two times (annoyingly, they will not or cannot replace just the cable but only the entire package) and luckily none of my pairs suffered from any clipping. Drop was willing to replace it the third time since it was still under warranty, but wanted me to return the Elex before sending me a new one (they sent out a new Elex the first two times and I returned the old when after receiving the new); I just threw up my hands (why risk getting a new cable that would likely fail along with a new headphone that might clip) and got a Periapt cable, which has worked flawlessly for several years. Since getting a ZMF Aeolus a couple of years ago, I never use the Elex for music any more, but will often using it for watching movies. Its good dynamics work particularly well with action movies.
Both of my cables that came with the Elex died within 6 mos. As I bought them used, I didn't bother with Drop.

Jul 4, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #1,802 of 2,030
Ok so I had some more time to listen to them and figure out what they can handle and I think I'm just going to keep them after all. With the Harman EQ and and the headphones playing at 95-97db I only got 2-3 small random clips on 3 different songs with heavy bass. I've come to the conclusion I just have to accept the limitations even though it annoys me that focal allows this to be an issue.

Jul 4, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #1,803 of 2,030
Ok so I had some more time to listen to them and figure out what they can handle and I think I'm just going to keep them after all. With the Harman EQ and and the headphones playing at 95-97db I only got 2-3 small random clips on 3 different songs with heavy bass. I've come to the conclusion I just have to accept the limitations even though it annoys me that focal allows this to be an issue.
Lol, well that says alot.

I think the Elex is the best value for performance headphone you can get.

Since you're handy with a soldering iron, you could try and resolder the voice coil wires. If you do, might as well upgrade the driver wires as well. I used solid core 18awg mundorf silver/gold wire on my clears but I think that was overkill, 24awg is more than sufficient (stock is stranded silver plated 24awg). There is alot more performance to be squeezed out of it. Don't cheap out on the solder though, I recommend the mundorf supreme.

It may fix the clipping issue you're having.

Jul 4, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #1,804 of 2,030
Lol, well that says alot.

I think the Elex is the best value for performance headphone you can get.

Since you're handy with a soldering iron, you could try and resolder the voice coil wires. If you do, might as well upgrade the driver wires as well. I used solid core 18awg mundorf silver/gold wire on my clears but I think that was overkill, 24awg is more than sufficient (stock is stranded silver plated 24awg). There is alot more performance to be squeezed out of it. Don't cheap out on the solder though, I recommend the mundorf supreme.

It may fix the clipping issue you're having.
Any pictures of the process? Just curious how easy it is to ruin the headphones since I'm sure you can't buy new drivers from focal lol.

Jul 4, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #1,805 of 2,030
Any pictures of the process? Just curious how easy it is to ruin the headphones since I'm sure you can't buy new drivers from focal lol.
You can buy them but they charge about 10% less than a new set of headphones. (Because you can fit Utopia drivers into any Focal headphone chassis, SHHHHH)

Its pretty straightforward but just be very, very careful, that voice coil wire is thin as a strand of hair. Make sure you have some high quality tweezers on hand.

• Remove the screws under the earpads with a t6 torx bit.
  • Remove the 3 torx screws holding the magnet, maybe t8/t10.
  • CAREFULLY remove magnet, the voice coil slots into the magnet.
  • CAREFULLY remove the black silicone insulator on the solder joint.
  • Under the black silicone there is a yellowish silicone insulator, carefully remove that as well.
  • Desolder, then resolder.
  • Make sure you get as much wire into the solder as possible without the end sticking out.
Be careful with soldering the voice coil wire, I wouldn't bother tinning it as its too thin and you could melt it. Just heat up the solder on the pcb and dip the wire in while its hot.

Also be careful when placing the magnet back on, make sure its aligned properly as it goes over the voice coil and you don't want to damage that.

When I did the left side it took me a while because I was nervous but only took about 15 minutes to do the right side.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #1,806 of 2,030
So true, i got both elear and clear ago, and my elear clipping at lower volume than clear, i sold clear however and move on, i asked about this issue but they charged me about 500 usd to replace my elear driver without guarantee the new one will not clipped, such a bummer, since its not that big deal, then i just decide to wait something worst happened, ex died driver or else before deciding to send it for fixing, in the future i will make sure will avoid focal headphone on my wish list, keep this elear just for guilty pleasure

Do i regret?! Yes or no in the same time, if this not clipped and the service better here, this would be one of possibility of my true end game cans, no others cans can do dynamic or tonal balance as good as focal in this price range even though this is not detail cans in this price range out there and sometimes its muffle compare to technical cans, but somehow theres something magical about this can that kept me always back listening to it, even with clipping, the build quality also top notch compare other certain cans up to 2000 dollar or more, the fitting and comfort also one of the best out there.
This is deja vu. This issue was discussed at length in this thread, and in other forums, three or four years ago when the Elex was new. Focal conceded that the Elex driver is intentionally designed to physically clip but only at extreme volume; I forget the exact number, but it's well north of 100 dBs. However, it is clear that many sets, though clearly not all, clipped at substantially lower volume. My impression is that Focal quality control--at least on the Elex, which is probably not a priority for them--in a word, stinks. In under a year, I had three (as in one! two! three!) stock XLR cables die in one channel even though they were carefully treated and never left my apartment. I returned the headphone to Drop the first two times (annoyingly, they will not or cannot replace just the cable but only the entire package) and luckily none of my pairs suffered from any clipping. Drop was willing to replace it the third time since it was still under warranty, but wanted me to return the Elex before sending me a new one (they sent out a new Elex the first two times and I returned the old when after receiving the new); I just threw up my hands (why risk getting a new cable that would likely fail along with a new headphone that might clip) and got a Periapt cable, which has worked flawlessly for several years. Since getting a ZMF Aeolus a couple of years ago, I never use the Elex for music any more, but will often using it for watching movies. Its good dynamics work particularly well with action movies.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #1,807 of 2,030
Joining the club today!
Initial impressions of the Elex are quite positive. I really like the way the imaging and soundstage work together to create a very focused and accurate image. Very reminiscent of the other Focals. It might not be super wide, but it is pitch black, so the instruments pop up quite effortlessly and it can expand quite nicely as needed.
Tonality is pretty spot on for me as well, except for some slight occasional metalic abrassiveness I hear in the treble (not sibilance though, so nothing too bad, I think it is the peak under 10k) and sometimes the dip lower in the FR also becomes apparent (which pushes some instruments or voices a little further back if they sit in that dipped range).
It is not the airiest nor the deepest or most extended bass response in a headphone but I like the tonal balance overall and it is nicely dynamic.
I don't think the headphones have any deal breaking flaws. I am quite sensitive to lower treble, where many headphones like to elevate, so I am glad the Elex does not mess with the sibilants. I find the detail retrieval more than satisfactory and the Elex overall a very nible and capable headphone.
So good initial impressions! By memory, I liked the Clear and Utopia a little better, but having snagged a well maintained Elex for ~400$ I honestly can't complain, given used Clear goes for double and Utopia much more.
Comfort is decent too. Build quality feels solid.
Since the cable is a bit unwieldy I am buying a copper cable either way. Not sure what blend the OG Elex cable is and while it is better than the worst, it is quite unwieldy~

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #1,808 of 2,030
I’m having Elex for almost a month now. So far I’m loving it.

I’m looking for cable upgrade…. Well not really since I got 6.3 and 4 pin XLR stock cables + 4.4 copper cable.
I want to get a 3.5mm for mobile use and my gaming amp is only 3.5 output

The question is “ Anyone has experience in cables? Like getting OCC copper / Silver-plated copper / or even pure copper cable?”

Any of these choices suit the Elex for you?

Attachments

• 752505A8-2845-4A42-A453-CC7A50689CC9.jpeg
    752505A8-2845-4A42-A453-CC7A50689CC9.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Sep 8, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #1,809 of 2,030
I’m having Elex for almost a month now. So far I’m loving it.

I’m looking for cable upgrade…. Well not really since I got 6.3 and 4 pin XLR stock cables + 4.4 copper cable.
I want to get a 3.5mm for mobile use and my gaming amp is only 3.5 output

The question is “ Anyone has experience in cables? Like getting OCC copper / Silver-plated copper / or even pure copper cable?”

Any of these choices suit the Elex for you?
It really depends on the specific cable. I don't subscribe to the ideology that copper = warm and silver = bright. I've tested a ton of cables and pairing really depends on cable to cable. I can list several cables that defy that ideology. You cannot guess how a cable would effect the sound just by looking at the material. I personally would recommend going with a high quality UP-OCC or OCC Litz based cable because they have a quality of clarity that IMO is a step above regular cables. Several manufacturers offer them. Choose the one you like, one that falls in your budget. No need to spend a ton of money on the cable. Nice cables can be had for fairly decent money. I personally use Ego Audio Beer and Whiskey with the Elex. You can check out Effect Audio, PlusSound, Eletech, Ego Audio, Satin Audio, etc. Even if they don't offer 3.5mm headphone connectors in their product page, just shoot them an email. I'm sure they'll make a cable for you as per your specifications. You can also shoot a PM and check with @doctorjuggles, who is the owner of the up and coming Khanyayo cables and makes really nice cables. He's a nice guy and quite popular in the forum. Ear Audio from India makes sick custom cables too. You can connect with him through his Facebook page if you like.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #1,810 of 2,030
ZMF is now offering their lambskin pads for the Elex (and the other open backs). I have a set arriving tomorrow. I'm curious as to how it will affect the sound signature.

Sep 8, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #1,811 of 2,030
It really depends on the specific cable. I don't subscribe to the ideology that copper = warm and silver = bright. I've tested a ton of cables and pairing really depends on cable to cable. I can list several cables that defy that ideology. You cannot guess how a cable would effect the sound just by looking at the material. I personally would recommend going with a high quality UP-OCC or OCC Litz based cable because they have a quality of clarity that IMO is a step above regular cables. Several manufacturers offer them. Choose the one you like, one that falls in your budget. No need to spend a ton of money on the cable. Nice cables can be had for fairly decent money. I personally use Ego Audio Beer and Whiskey with the Elex. You can check out Effect Audio, PlusSound, Eletech, Ego Audio, Satin Audio, etc. Even if they don't offer 3.5mm headphone connectors in their product page, just shoot them an email. I'm sure they'll make a cable for you as per your specifications. You can also shoot a PM and check with @doctorjuggles, who is the owner of the up and coming Khanyayo cables and makes really nice cables. He's a nice guy and quite popular in the forum. Ear Audio from India makes sick custom cables too. You can connect with him through his Facebook page if you like.
Wow, Thanks for your answer. Actually this is the answer to many out there.
In the past, I did play around swapping copper cable and silver-plated in IEM.
I do find the same result that some copper cable don’t make sound “warmer” or “enhance bass”.
Well, custom cable is the way to go here:thumbsup:

Sep 22, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #1,812 of 2,030
Have the elex and it pairs great with the Rebel Amp. ( excellent punch, richness and dynamics)I also have the singxer and love it but not with the Elex. Very smooth with the singxer but loses all the dynamics and pushes the mids too far back. Also punch is very much diminished.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #1,813 of 2,030
Have the elex and it pairs great with the Rebel Amp. ( excellent punch richness and dynamics)I also have the singxer and love it but not with the Elex. Very smooth with the singxer but loses all the dynamics and pushes the mids too far back. Also punch is very much diminished.
Good to know! I am wearing my Elex's right now and looking at a new-to-me rebel sitting across from me. Probably hook it up tomorrow.

Sep 22, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #1,814 of 2,030
Good to know! I am wearing my Elex's right now and looking at a new-to-me rebel sitting across from me. Probably hook it up tomorrow.
Great! Please give the amp a few days to break- in. A bit harsh at first but smooths out quickly. As a matter of fact at first i was very dissapointed and was looking to sell. Know another owner that felt the same way.

Sep 22, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #1,815 of 2,030
Great! Please give the amp a few days to break- in. A bit harsh at first but smooths out quickly. As a matter of fact at first i was very dissapointed and was looking to sell. Know another owner that felt the same way.
Mine is used. I think I am the third owner so it should be well broken in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back