Massdrop x Eddie Current ZDT Jr. impressions thread
Jul 23, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #77 of 138
Thanks! I wondered if there was a beginner's guide to tube rolling somewhere. It's the two front tubes I have to replace right? Just to be sure :ksc75smile:

Jul 26, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #79 of 138
The GE tubes arrived just four days after ordering them, pretty impressive. Getting the tubes out was pretty easy thanks Wheel Hoss / Wes S. Getting the new tubes was a bit more effort but after watching a video I managed. Unfortunately it was the hottest day in record in the Netherlands and I couldn't get myself to listen to headphones for more than 2 minutes.

Early impressions:
  • it adds a a bit in the bass department. There's more of it and when it's there it sounds less muddy compared to with the stock tubes. It's not going to turn the ZDT Jr in an amp with a large amount of bass slam and it might still be light on bass for some but the GE tubes do improve the bass;
  • maybe it makes the amp sound a bit more forward.
The differences are subtle but noticeable. Maybe the sound will develop a bit over time I wouldn't know. All in all I'm glad I decided to change the tubes.

Jul 26, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #80 of 138
Jul 26, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #81 of 138
The GE tubes arrived just four days after ordering them, pretty impressive. Getting the tubes out was pretty easy thanks Wheel Hoss / Wes S. Getting the new tubes was a bit more effort but after watching a video I managed. Unfortunately it was the hottest day in record in the Netherlands and I couldn't get myself to listen to headphones for more than 2 minutes.

Early impressions:
  • it adds a a bit in the bass department. There's more of it and when it's there it sounds less muddy compared to with the stock tubes. It's not going to turn the ZDT Jr in an amp with a large amount of bass slam and it might still be light on bass for some but the GE tubes do improve the bass;
  • maybe it makes the amp sound a bit more forward.
The differences are subtle but noticeable. Maybe the sound will develop a bit over time I wouldn't know. All in all I'm glad I decided to change the tubes.

Let them burn in more. I actually found the stock tubes the most forward/harsh. Didn’t get the GEs, but the Western Electrics Wes recommended are smoother.

I am really surprised no one has tried or mentioned the Mullards! This would be the first tube I would try.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/323857832585

Killing me. I was so happy with my WE’s. Man this hobby ...

So where do you store your tubes? My WE didn’t come with anything, and now my stock tubes have no home.

Jul 26, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #82 of 138
Anybody has an experience with Beyerdynamic T1.1 pairing?

Jul 26, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #83 of 138
Let them burn in more. I actually found the stock tubes the most forward/harsh. Didn’t get the GEs, but the Western Electrics Wes recommended are smoother.

Killing me. I was so happy with my WE’s. Man this hobby ...

So where do you store your tubes? My WE didn’t come with anything, and now my stock tubes have no home.
I bought some generic white boxes, for my spares. https://www.tubedepot.com/products/9-pin-tube-box

Jul 26, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #84 of 138
Jul 28, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #85 of 138
I also prefer the staging on V2: I hear significantly more space between instruments and between vocals, which makes for a much more enveloping soundscape and "realistic" (read: "live") presentation of the music. After hearing music presented like this, it's hard to go back to a narrower, more confined stage. In the end, the wider soundstage coupled with the mellower tonal balance is just so much more relaxing to listen to, whereas with the ZDT Jr., I felt like I was bracing myself the whole time I was listening to it.

Sorry for the old quote :D

Will this also apply to the Val2 stock tubes ? and what are the tubes that give this impression?

Jul 28, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #86 of 138
Sorry for the old quote :D

Will this also apply to the Val2 stock tubes ? and what are the tubes that give this impression?

No worries! It's been a while since I've had the stock tubes in, and they're locked away in storage at the moment, but if memory serves me right, the stock tubes might do the staging the best. Some have noted a "sandy" or "dry" quality with the stock tubes, which also makes sense, but I wouldn't have noticed if it were not articulated as such. I think one could do just fine with the stock tubes! And while I tend to agree with people who say that the Val 2 doesn't change dramatically with tube-rolling, I do think the most noticeable differences emerge between tube families (e.g. 6922 vs. 2c51 vs. 6cg7, etc. -- actually, just check out the Valhalla tube-rolling thread for further details), not between tubes of a common family. (In my post, I mentioned that was using the Tung Sol 2c51 tubes with adapters, but I've since put the WE 396a's back in.) I'd love to go on about the Val 2, but since this is a ZDT Jr. thread, feel free to send me a PM if you'd like to follow up (btw, nice Mr. Burns avatar!).

As for the ZDT Jr., I'm continuing to be perplexed at the diametrically opposed impressions that are coming in around this amp. Personal taste and subjective experience aside, it almost seems like there are two completely different versions out there!

Jul 28, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #87 of 138
No worries! It's been a while since I've had the stock tubes in, and they're locked away in storage at the moment, but if memory serves me right, the stock tubes might do the staging the best. Some have noted a "sandy" or "dry" quality with the stock tubes, which also makes sense, but I wouldn't have noticed if it were not articulated as such. I think one could do just fine with the stock tubes! And while I tend to agree with people who say that the Val 2 doesn't change dramatically with tube-rolling, I do think the most noticeable differences emerge between tube families (e.g. 6922 vs. 2c51 vs. 6cg7, etc. -- actually, just check out the Valhalla tube-rolling thread for further details), not between tubes of a common family. (In my post, I mentioned that was using the Tung Sol 2c51 tubes with adapters, but I've since put the WE 396a's back in.) I'd love to go on about the Val 2, but since this is a ZDT Jr. thread, feel free to send me a PM if you'd like to follow up (btw, nice Mr. Burns avatar!).

As for the ZDT Jr., I'm continuing to be perplexed at the diametrically opposed impressions that are coming in around this amp. Personal taste and subjective experience aside, it almost seems like there are two completely different versions out there!

Thanks a lot!

I hope you share your journey in the Val2 tube rolling thread.

Jul 29, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #88 of 138

It is a little bit offtopic, but it is true - on Valhalla 2 most differences are between tube families - with stock 6N1P tubes you are somehow in the sound with big stage, but with a fuzzy imaging, 2c51 puts the stage liitle bit out of your head with more precise imaging (i have tung-sols and we396a), 6CG7 has massive depth and sound is like coming from speakers - in a distance in front of you. All with my Beyerdynamic T1.1.

Aug 23, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #89 of 138
Hello all, noobie to this thread. I just received my ZDT Jr. in the mail today. Unfortunately the only headphones I have on me right now are Ether2 and Andromeda as I wait for my Verites to be built, so I can't give any sound impressions. But I have a couple QC issues. The volume knob has a slight chip in it (as I've seen is fairly common), but additionally the case seems bent as only three of the four feet/pads touch my desk. The front right pad is off the surface and therefore creates a slight rocking when pressing on the front right area of the unit. It's maybe 1/16" to 1/8" of a difference (gap). Anyone else had/have the issue of the case being off?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hGYgTyMPpFrMDmwh8

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #90 of 138
Hello all, noobie to this thread. I just received my ZDT Jr. in the mail today. Unfortunately the only headphones I have on me right now are Ether2 and Andromeda as I wait for my Verites to be built, so I can't give any sound impressions. But I have two QC issues right off the bat. The volume knob has a slight chip in it (as I've seen is fairly common), but additionally the case seems bent as only three of the four feet/pads touch my desk. The front right pad is off the surface and therefore creates a slight rocking when pressing on the front right area of the unit. It's maybe 1/16" to 1/8" of a difference (gap). Anyone else had/have this issue?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hGYgTyMPpFrMDmwh8

Mine arrived with both of those issues. Fortunately, the shorter foot is on the right side, so the amp doesn't rock when I hold it down to connect and disconnect cables. I got a $15 refund from Drop for the volume knob. I spent $3.39 of it on an aluminum knob from AliExpress (search for 32753503255) that feels and looks much better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back