Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Apr 23, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #1,246 of 1,441
If you have the sdac version, use a USB b micro to USB A and connect the USB A to your computer. Voila!

If you don't have the Sdac version, you need a dac to connect to your computer for the best results. I would suggest a modi 3 or grace sdac. Connect those to your computer with the necessary USB cables. (I believe modi 3 needs USB b to USB A). And then buy a cheap rca cable (the red and white one) to connect the dac to the Cavalli tube hybrid.

Amazing! Thank you! So since I have the SDAC version, all I need is the micro-usb cable that comes with the device. In essence, no cables need to be purchased.

Would I benefit from purchasing an aftermarket USB b micro to USB A cable?

Apr 23, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #1,247 of 1,441
Amazing! Thank you! So since I have the SDAC version, all I need is the micro-usb cable that comes with the device. In essence, no cables need to be purchased.

Would I benefit from purchasing an aftermarket USB b micro to USB A cable?

I personally wouldn't concern myself much with the usb cable, but if down the road you want to get just a little more out of it, maybe a Linear power supply.

I'm uncertain if that works with the sdac variant as I have the standalone amp version, just to clarify.

Apr 23, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #1,248 of 1,441
I personally wouldn't concern myself much with the usb cable, but if down the road you want to get just a little more out of it, maybe a Linear power supply.

I'm uncertain if that works with the sdac variant as I have the standalone amp version, just to clarify.
Linear power supply works fine with both. I would also suggest the 6H23P tube if you use an LPS. I'm currently using the stock cable with no issues. Sounds more detailed than the d70 I had too :)

Jun 25, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #1,250 of 1,441
I would love to know if using the 6sn7 or 6cg8 results in hum or noise with Aeon or lower impeadance phones. Are there any repercussions using the 6sn7 tubes as some people mentioned that they have a higher heater current requirement.

Jun 25, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #1,253 of 1,441
I would love to know if using the 6sn7 or 6cg8 results in hum or noise with Aeon or lower impeadance phones. Are there any repercussions using the 6sn7 tubes as some people mentioned that they have a higher heater current requirement.

Use non-specified tubes at your own risk. In particular, I believe that 6sn7 tubes are outside the specs of this amp. No idea if power supply upgrade would address that or not. Cavalli posts on some forums and maybe here (username runeeight IIRC). Perhaps there is a post from him that addresses your question.

Jun 25, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #1,254 of 1,441
It's fine to run 6sn7 with LPS. Never an issue and I had my mcth for over a year running all types of tubes with adapters. The 6sn7 runs at 600ma which is twice that of a 6922. The reason I don't recommend running 6sn7 with the wall wart. There's a few of us pages back that have run 6sn7 without issue. It's not recommended but rollers will roll lol.

Jul 3, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #1,255 of 1,441
Sorry to double post, I purchased more of the tubes that couldn't be named and wanted to post the link to the seller here. It's the Tesla E88CC #32. https://tubes-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=884

Currently listening to the Reflector 6H23P I bought on sale, unfortunately one of the tubes stopped pulling enough current and doesn't work anymore so hopefully I get a replacement. It sounds a bit more closed in than the Tesla's but it's very detail oriented, especially in the mids. Almost sounds like there isn't a tube which is very opposite the tesla which has tons of air and exuberance. Just not as detailed in the mids. At $60 a tube for the Reflector, I would choose the Tesla at only $25 if you need a pair of tubes. I'll probably be mass selling the rest of my 6922 so hit me up if you want to try a couple tubes for real cheap.

@BrokeSkoolBoi Are you still liking the Tesla ? I think the EH that came with mine is bad, as it makes a ringing/rattling sound in the left channel when anything knocks the amp or the table it's on, and it sounds like there's a bit of a channel imbalance (hoping this is not the amp itself). Trying to decide if I should just get another EH, as most reviewers recommend, or try something different, like the Tesla.

Jul 13, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #1,256 of 1,441
Can I use XLR to 2.5mm balanced adapter with the CTH. I know that the XLR output of the CTH is unbalance but I wanted to try out my 2.5mm balance trrs iem cable on the CTH. Will the balanced connection damage the CTH amp or the iem?
The xlr to 2.5mm adapter I'm talking about. https://drop.com/buy/drop-4-pin-xlr-to-trrs-adapter

Jul 13, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #1,257 of 1,441
Jul 13, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #1,259 of 1,441

Users who are viewing this thread

Back