Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Dec 1, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #1,232 of 1,441
So I finally found a tube that made the HE-500 do some backflips for me, unfortunately I need to make sure I get more before I recommend them and have the one site I found selling them NOS run out of their stock. However! The reviewer that turned me onto this secret tube said he liked this Reflector 6H23P even more, and it's on sale! https://www.thetubestore.com/6h23n-eb-6922

I already ordered two, so feel free to buy out the stock here :ksc75smile:. I have not found a great tube for acoustic music ('JJ tesla' is the best so far which isn't saying much) so I'm hoping Reflector will be the chosen one.

As far as the secret tube, it invalidates all my other tubes thus far with great imaging and mid and treble that is immediate and not restrained in it's speed at all. There's a lot of air that's quite euphoric and some of the tightest bass I've heard on the MCTH. I hope I can buy more and tell yall the name soon.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #1,233 of 1,441
Sorry to double post, I purchased more of the tubes that couldn't be named and wanted to post the link to the seller here. It's the Tesla E88CC #32. https://tubes-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=884

Currently listening to the Reflector 6H23P I bought on sale, unfortunately one of the tubes stopped pulling enough current and doesn't work anymore so hopefully I get a replacement. It sounds a bit more closed in than the Tesla's but it's very detail oriented, especially in the mids. Almost sounds like there isn't a tube which is very opposite the tesla which has tons of air and exuberance. Just not as detailed in the mids. At $60 a tube for the Reflector, I would choose the Tesla at only $25 if you need a pair of tubes. I'll probably be mass selling the rest of my 6922 so hit me up if you want to try a couple tubes for real cheap.

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #1,234 of 1,441
Sorry to double post, I purchased more of the tubes that couldn't be named and wanted to post the link to the seller here. It's the Tesla E88CC #32. https://tubes-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=884

Currently listening to the Reflector 6H23P I bought on sale, unfortunately one of the tubes stopped pulling enough current and doesn't work anymore so hopefully I get a replacement. It sounds a bit more closed in than the Tesla's but it's very detail oriented, especially in the mids. Almost sounds like there isn't a tube which is very opposite the tesla which has tons of air and exuberance. Just not as detailed in the mids. At $60 a tube for the Reflector, I would choose the Tesla at only $25 if you need a pair of tubes. I'll probably be mass selling the rest of my 6922 so hit me up if you want to try a couple tubes for real cheap.
Thanks for sharing this. My CTH arrives tomorrow. I'm going to keep it vanilla for a month or two and then surely buy the Tesla.

Dec 13, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #1,235 of 1,441
@Ninja Theory,

As @BrokeSkoolBoi recommended, the Tesla isn't bad though honestly, personally & subjectively, I like the Reflector Premium a lot more, too bad I don't have the Liquid Platinum, otherwise I have 2 Reflectors on that.

Oh well, one day...

Hope everyone has a great day !

Dec 13, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #1,236 of 1,441
Drop Stack.jpg
@Ninja Theory,

As @BrokeSkoolBoi recommended, the Tesla isn't bad though honestly, personally & subjectively, I like the Reflector Premium a lot more, too bad I don't have the Liquid Platinum, otherwise I have 2 Reflectors on that.

Oh well, one day...

Hope everyone has a great day !
I bought a 61NP-EB and 6N6P. Incoming. Will report back next week. Both tubes come HIGHLY recommended for the Cavalli.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this little amp. It arrived today. It's warm and inviting, and it paints with a thicker brush than the 789 but it also let's you know that detail is not always king. That said, I'm looking forward to the new tubes. The stock 6922 Electro Harmonix is ok but I know the CTH has more to give.. still, it's highly enjoyable and I'm loving every minute with it before the new tubes arrive. It certainly has a spot in this (unplanned) Drop stack that found its way to my desk.

Dec 15, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #1,237 of 1,441
The Reflector I have make me understand why people insist on buying tube amps. It's either making my music do acrobatics or just allowing my music to come through with enough clarity that the imaging is preserved while retaining tube euphoria. I've never had an OTL tube amp, but I'm surprised that the CTH isn't one from what I'm hearing.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #1,238 of 1,441
The Reflector I have make me understand why people insist on buying tube amps. It's either making my music do acrobatics or it actually is just allowing my music to come through with enough clarity that imaging is preserved while I also get tube euphoria. I've never had an OTL tube amp, but I'm surprised that the CTH isn't one from what I'm hearing.

This is the unsung miracle of a good to outstanding tube, @BrokeSkoolBoi, otherwise known as a hidden treasure tube.

Hope you continue to enjoy your listening experience & don't forget to try & find new headphone synergies with the Reflector in place.

I would also suggest looking for really atmospheric &/or well recorded music to enhance your listening experience even further.

Hope you have a great day !

Jan 19, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #1,239 of 1,441
1. No matter the tube & or amp, regardless of cost, they will all make some noise or hiss, as that is the nature of tubes, there is no silent tube but there are definitely ways the tube noise can be reduced.

My Loxjie P20 headphone amplifier has zero noise at full volume.
With both the stock chinese and the replacing russian tubes.

Jan 20, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #1,240 of 1,441
My Loxjie P20 headphone amplifier has zero noise at full volume.
With both the stock chinese and the replacing russian tubes.

Hi @magicscreen,

Just out of curiosity, what are you using with the P20 to get zero noise?

If it wasn't clear before as not sure I mentioned it on this thread but I have quite sensitive hearing so I can hear a lot at low volume among other things which is why for example I can't use IFI IE Match as I still hear the noise as clearly as if IE Match wasn't in place.
I also may not have clarified but P20 is perhaps the quietest tube amp, especially for IEMs, I have used so far & I have used a lot of tube amps...

Hope you're not actually listening at full volume...

Also

Feb 6, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #1,241 of 1,441
I hope this post contains value for some. I have purchased a dt1990 which will arrive next week. Fingers crossed I can relay news of good synergy and some softened treble.

Lately I've been eyeing the Bifrost 2 for it's phase switching capabilities. Hopefully I can find one on the used market!

Feb 11, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #1,242 of 1,441
So I finally got the dt1990 yesterday and it sounds phenomenal with a reflector tube. The 8k spike for those who don't know is not something a tube will rectify, but it can make it less painful at times than it would be otherwise.

As soon as you play any music you feel like your ears are hearing the air in the space which everything was recorded. It's really amazing, I listened to well recorded Heifetz and I could hear all all instruments with their correct timbre and exact articulation. I felt like I was in the concert hall, and for a moment I forgot I was listening to headphones. It's the closest I'll ever get to hearing Heifetz live, and for that I am very grateful.

Prefer the analytical pads over the balanced. Don't see why you would want boomy bass when the mid and treble are so accurate.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #1,243 of 1,441
For a while I was getting a scratchy noise when I turned the dial in the left ear. Now even after I stop turning the dial I am getting a scratchy noise in the left ear when no music is playing. I sometimes hear it when I play music. Any idea on what this is and how I can potentially fix the issue?

Apr 23, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #1,245 of 1,441
How do I connect my desktop computer to this device?

If you have the sdac version, use a USB b micro to USB A and connect the USB A to your computer. Voila!

If you don't have the Sdac version, you need a dac to connect to your computer for the best results. I would suggest a modi 3 or grace sdac. Connect those to your computer with the necessary USB cables. (I believe modi 3 needs USB b to USB A). And then buy a cheap rca cable (the red and white one) to connect the dac to the Cavalli tube hybrid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back