Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Sep 10, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #976 of 1,441
More info for people that are on the fence regarding the 6C8G "mod"...
First, I would like to preface by saying I do NOT have golden ears, and never been musically trained, and so I may not always hear very small nuances or differences.
Since I got a CTH loaner from @CEE TEE (thanks again buddy), I had a unique opportunity to A/B without going through tube rolling cycle (turn amp off... wait a couple minutes... remove tube, and place new tube, turn on amp... wait 1 minute for it to start outputting sound). Even better: I have a high quality A/B/C switch and high quality set of cables for 1/4" <--> RCA. That basically allows me to run both amps in parallel, connected to same A/B/C switch, and single headphone. So, I can switch mid-song between amps while the headphones never leave my ears! :wink:

So... I have done some A/B-ing over the weekend, comparing stock 6922 to several 6C8G tubes (mostly RCA and Ken-Rad). To make sure the amp itself not playing any role, I also swapped the 6922 and 6C8G between the 2 amps and repeated the experiments with similar conclusions.

What were my conclusions then? (had to create some cliff hanger for you guys :smiling_imp:)
For MY (non-golden) ears - in most tracks I could not hear any difference at all. Tried dozens of tracks (various artists, genres, etc), and VERY few had any difference I could notice! That difference was very subtle, in favor of the 6C8G. I think the subtle difference I hear is "richer" or "fuller" sound on 6C8G. Maybe a little bit wider sound stage. Mind you it was not a real blind A/B, so placebo effect could be blamed here (when I favor 6C8G in the few tracks I heard something a little different).
Let me repeat that TO MY EARS, and I forgot to mention I have been using Sennheiser HD600, most of the time I could not tell any difference, and when I could - it was subtle.
Used my Metrum Amethyst DAC during those A/B tests, fed from Coax. Mostly FLAC 44/16 tracks, with a few albums in FLAC 96/24.

Next, as a "control" experiment, I have asked my GF (who unlike me WAS musically trained in her teens and young adult past) to compare the 2 amps. For her, it was a blind test as she knows nothing about amps and tubes... :wink: After 10-15 minutes switching back and forth - she announced they sound the same to her 95% of the time. When pressed to choose a "better" one - she chose the stock 6922 tube noting some instruments sometimes sound more natural on it.

The 2 amps were volume matched, I measured 88dB for 1KHz tone (on HD600), and there is zero lag when switching between amps.

Some last notes and comments:
- I have only used 1 headphone (HD600). Anyone here thinks those are not good enough to tell difference between the 2 amps?
- My A/B method may be flawed. I was switching between amps mid-song, on average every 1-2 minutes. Does it make more "scientific sense" to listen to entire song, then switch and listen to same song again?! My assumption was if I do that - my brain would require a much bigger difference to be able to favor an amp or be able to tell me there is a difference at all...
- My lossless audio files and (~$1100) DAC cannot be a "quality bottleneck" IMHO.

My final conclusions (as of today):
- If you're considering this mod, and have golden ears, or can easily hear differences between tubes no matter how subtle they are -> go for it!
- If you enjoy modding and tinkering -> go for it!
- If your headphones are sensitive / very easy to drive -> you may have hum, so think twice...
- If you've compared 2 amps / DAPs / tubes in the past that people said are very different, but you could not hear a difference to save your life -> skip this one :)

I will do more A/B-ing, use different headphones, and report back with an update.
I am open to suggestions and comments - what should I do differently? which tracks should I try that might have more pronounced difference? Any other suggestions?
Nice analysis! Yeah switching tubes makes direct A-B comparisons more difficult. You’ve got a good set-up there.

I’ve tried two tubes other than the stock Electro Harmonix. One is a Reflektor 6922; I felt like it had a touch more bass, but the presentation seemed “pointy” and didn’t have the same smooth feel of the stick tube. But this is after maybe 30 hours burn-in on the Reflektor so any sound differences may just be due to different usage of the tubes. But overall the extent of change was minimal and they seemed 95% the same.

With the 6C8G though I thought there was a bigger change, in dynamics mainly and the sound feels a bit more live. The tube I have is 2nd hand and looks like it’s had a long life, so I’m presuming it’s well burned-in.

In all, I think Massdrop have done well with the stock tube and any differences I’ve heard have been adjustments rather than full alterations of the sound. I did play around the other night with switching between the 3 tubes, but with the few minutes delay in between, so granted I could have some expectation/placebo effect going on.

I’m going to try and experiment and see if I can keep the 6C8G as the main tube I use. I’ve got a cable and plug on the way I can use to ground the chassis.

Sep 10, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #977 of 1,441
Well as the old cliche goes: I was ready to put this up for sale in the classifieds and then everything broke in!

It was a perfect storm of new gear though:
HD6XX
MCTH Amp
DNM interconnect to my Mimby.

Been at least 100hrs of playing when the Senns finally showed their potential. Previously it was harsh and had a feel of glare. Now it’s a much more impressive soundstage with air and plankton for days.

Most impressive was how they both seem to handle any genre with ease. Charlie Byrd segues wonderfully into the Rolling Stones and then David Axelrod. Stunning. Thanks, Cavalli and thanks HeadFi for the advice. I would have sold this before knowing it’s teue potential!

Sep 11, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #978 of 1,441
I did play around the other night with switching between the 3 tubes, but with the few minutes delay in between, so granted I could have some expectation/placebo effect going on.
Exactly!

I’m going to try and experiment and see if I can keep the 6C8G as the main tube I use. I’ve got a cable and plug on the way I can use to ground the chassis.
I am super curious to hear more about this "ground mod" - please post more details and observations / conclusions once you receive the parts and move forward with it :)

Sep 12, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #980 of 1,441
Can anyone tell me if they're hearing that in the song above? Trying to figure out if it;s microphonics or the song mastering, because I hear it in different songs that isn't audible on my other amp.

Sep 13, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #981 of 1,441
Can anyone tell me if they're hearing that in the song above? Trying to figure out if it;s microphonics or the song mastering, because I hear it in different songs that isn't audible on my other amp.
I went to YouTube to listen to the sound and I don't hear any distortion at the "shall I stay" portion. This is the track I used:

Sep 17, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #982 of 1,441
I have gotten mine recently, so far really like the finish and the quality even though I have heard some people complain about the bean blasted finishing. The moment I plugged it in I was shocked at how much better it was compared to the first generation lyr driving my HE-500, There was better extension both top and bottom, better detail especially with string instruments, vocals had more depth to them with better texture and emotion, The bass also slammed harder with less of the syrupyness that the lyr exhibited, and soundstage was also a substantial improvement as most schiit amps are not known to sound forward. Funny thing is that this was with the stock tube in the CTH while the lyr was being run with NOS E88CC miniwatt special quality tubes. This amp is a steal for 250, too bad its only on massdrop sometimes waiting for drops can be a pita.

:)

Sep 17, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #984 of 1,441
Sep 17, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #986 of 1,441
The $80 m

onoprice amp and dac. I like the sound of it better than the Cavalli, magni 3, and little dot mk2. Not saying it’s better, but it has a fun sound that I like with the headphones I use (650, m1060, jubilee)
I guess your preference plays more towards the monoprice amp But im sure the cavalli is 'technically' the better amp, in technicalities it beat my LYR(1st gen) with upgraded tubes hands down but I will concede one thing I find the amp to be a bit too warm for my HD650, but they play much better with brighter cans like my HE-500.

Sep 17, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #987 of 1,441
I guess your preference plays more towards the monoprice amp But im sure the cavalli is 'technically' the better amp, in technicalities it beat my LYR(1st gen) with upgraded tubes hands down but I will concede one thing I find the amp to be a bit too warm for my HD650, but they play much better with brighter cans like my HE-500.

I’m sure it is, but one thing I’ve learned is technicalities on paper might look good, but if they don’t sound better (to the person using it) than it doesn’t mean much in an audio hobby

Sep 17, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #988 of 1,441
I’m sure it is, but one thing I’ve learned is technicalities on paper might look good, but if they don’t sound better (to the person using it) than it doesn’t mean much in an audio hobby
True enjoyment is the most important part. Btw what did you not like about the amp, was it too warm with your headphones ?

Sep 17, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #989 of 1,441
True enjoyment is the most important part. Btw what did you not like about the amp, was it too warm with your headphones ?

No, I actually found it too bright lol

I know that sounds weird, I was surprised with it being a tube hybrid too, but apparently other users have thought the same and tube rolling was suggested, but I’m not sure about spending $50 on a tube just to see.

I found the Cavalli the brightest of thre four amps I have, followed by the mangi 3, but found that to be closer to neutral with just a tad of brightness.

Sep 17, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #990 of 1,441
No, I actually found it too bright lol

I know that sounds weird, I was surprised with it being a tube hybrid too, but apparently other users have thought the same and tube rolling was suggested, but I’m not sure about spending $50 on a tube just to see.

I found the Cavalli the brightest of thre four amps I have, followed by the mangi 3, but found that to be closer to neutral with just a tad of brightness.

I do think the stock tube is the problem but you need to get a NOS tube new tubes can be shrilly in the highs, the electro-harmonix while I found to sound very good did have some metallic highs, magni 3 also has a forward sounding upper frequency range but its still smooth sounding and a warm amp, The brightness might be from you dac, but the MCTH does have a clarity advantage when compared to the other amps mentioned it was much clearer sounding than my lyr with expensive tubes, by clarity I don't mean more highs it was actually smoother sounding as well, it was just more clear, open and spacious sounding with overall better detail and depth to the sound.
Maybe you should try giving it a burn in or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back