Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Sep 10, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #256 of 1,441
Again, I wonder how this compares with the LC, period.

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #257 of 1,441
Sep 11, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #260 of 1,441
Another Massdrop Cavalli amp - Liquid Carbon X
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdr...leCampaignId=165044&iterableTemplateId=238488

The timing they are releasing these different amp's is really annoying me since I committed to the CTH already!!!

They should release all 3 choices at once to allow people think and purchase the right one for their setup.

agree. Can we cancel our purchase and go for the carbon instead? Honestly, at $299.99, it's an insane deal if it's the same with the original carbon.

Sep 11, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #261 of 1,441
This is nuts! Clearly, Massdrop is in the Cavalli business. Problem is, I can't decide which one I want. I love tubes but hate the hassle. So this LC is most intriguing. I need help figuring all these options out.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #262 of 1,441
Yes, I too am getting pissed off by the minute with the way all these new offers are being announced... I would like a "liquid Crimson X" selling for half the price of the Origina (exactly like the Liquid Carbon X is doing now)... I already have the original liquid carbon, and also got the CTH, so I do not know how best to play the game of choices... I wish Massdrop will announce at once all Cavalli units they intend to release in the future instead of using this "cloak and dagger" drip drip drip one at a time approach...

That will help customers plan the right choices ahead of time instead of premature buys that they have to cancel later on... I am ready to trade up my CTH drop purchase for something better, but I need to see what is coming down the pipeline first before placing the order.

Sep 11, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #263 of 1,441
Yes, I too am getting pissed off by the minute with the way all these new offers are being announced... I would like a "liquid Crimson X" selling for half the price of the Origina (exactly like the Liquid Carbon X is doing now)... I already have the original liquid carbon, and also got the CTH, so I do not know how best to play the game of choices... I wish Massdrop will announce at once all Cavalli units they intend to release in the future instead of using this "cloak and dagger" drip drip drip one at a time approach...

That will help customers plan the right choices ahead of time instead of premature buys that they have to cancel later on... I am ready to trade up my CTH drop purchase for something better, but I need to see what is coming down the pipeline first before placing the order.

The problem is the drop usually ends before the new one comes up. We might miss the deal if we don't join the drop but on the other hand, we might also spend unnecessary amount of money because a better deal comes up. Well played massdrop!

Sep 11, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #264 of 1,441
CEE TEE is claiming this is essentially a Liquid Carbon, which is crazy at that price point. Is Alex Cavalli just not selling enough audiophile equipment? Is Massdrop ever going to reveal What their plans are so that we can plan ahead?

Tbh, the fact that I'm nowhere ready to invest in a balanced DAC has me happy with my CTH purchase so far. Now if Massdrop decides to announce a balanced DAC designed by grace.... (you know it's coming...)

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #265 of 1,441
OK, if this really is the LC v2, it's a bit of a spit in the face of those of us who purchased the v1 (or v2) as a pre-production offer to get a Cavalli at a truly bargain price ("gift to the community" is how I remember it described...). If the price is really much less than what the pre-order folks paid, we've also lost any resail value. (if it is the same, you don't need a balanced dac, by the way ). Nice for you folks, stinks for those who pre-invested. (and I thought LH Labs was the only company screwing pre-investors, though they still have the top spot...).

Sep 11, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #266 of 1,441
OK, if this really is the LC v2, it's a bit of a spit in the face of those of us who purchased the v1 (or v2) as a pre-production offer to get a Cavalli at a truly bargain price ("gift to the community" is how I remember it described...). If the price is really much less than what the pre-order folks paid, we've also lost any resail value. (if it is the same, you don't need a balanced dac, by the way ). Nice for you folks, stinks for those who pre-invested. (and I thought LH Labs was the only company screwing pre-investors, though they still have the top spot...).
I feel your pain.
I personally like the original design and internal power supply better! Another power brick?!?! sigh. Maybe now we need a MD linear power supply with several outputs (for the CTH, LCX, and future DAC?)

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #267 of 1,441
I'll stick with the CTH, thanks. My days of solid state headphone amps are over. There's just something about a well designed hybrid (like the CTH or Schiit Vali 2) and they way that they sound that is superior to my ears to just about any solid state headphone amp.

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #268 of 1,441
agree. Can we cancel our purchase and go for the carbon instead? Honestly, at $299.99, it's an insane deal if it's the same with the original carbon.
i did cancel for once back then. Even after the drop ends. Massdrop approved and refunded !

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #269 of 1,441
I'll stick with the CTH, thanks. My days of solid state headphone amps are over. There's just something about a well designed hybrid (like the CTH or Schiit Vali 2) and they way that they sound that is superior to my ears to just about any solid state headphone amp.
I too had that reaction, but then reread the description of the LCX circuitry. It appears the LCX may be superior in this regard (and frankly, $299 seems to be a crazy good price for this circuitry), so maybe I'll look for something like a Yaquin CD3 Tube Buffer.

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #270 of 1,441
Personally I'm picking up both....was always curious of the Liquid Carbon but could never justify $800 on the second run, and didn't take the jump into hi-fi until this year, by that time LC was discontinued. Still going with CTH due to the very good tube implementation, could be a match made in heaven with my HD 6XXs on the way, and could help curb the treble peak at 8-10K on my TH-X00s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back