Massdrop PLUS Universal IEM
Sep 10, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #842 of 877
The 64 Audio cable is good if you want to buy American. Null Brevity cable fell apart on me after a few months so I would stay away. There's a separate thread for Chi-fi cables if you want to go budget.
Any low Oi source (<2ohms) would be fine. It's easy to drive.
I agree that the Null cable is crappy but I'm still using it over a year later and held up better than the stock. I used the stock (one time) on a plane the right iem slid out of the cable and fell in my hands. I was so nervous that it would have hit the ground and be crushed. I guess the stories of the stock cable are true.

Sep 12, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #843 of 877
Thought I'd throw another upgrade cable into the fray for you guys if you're unhappy about the stock cable. I didn't have any problems with the sound of the cable or anything like that, but my connectors were loose and I'd find that my IEMs would come unplugged from the connectors every now and then and just did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about keeping my IEMs secure. 64 Audio's professional cable is amazing, and I actually was able to notice a bit more punch in my music. Not much, mind you, but I can definitely notice a little more life in music that I know very well. For $40 (after shipping) I can't recommend this cable enough. And of course, the connectors are much more secure and give a little "snap" when plugging the IEMs in, which makes me feel much better.

Here's the link. Bonus points that it comes in black or white! I personally chose the white and it looks and feels fantastic.

Hi everyone,

Have any of you found replacement cables that solve the problem of the loose connectors? A couple of you recommended the replacement cable for the Shozy Hibiki (I'm not sure which one this is) as well as 64 Audio’s Professional Cable. @mwillis, you recommended the 64 Audio ones exactly (!) a year ago - have they worked out well for you?

I'm not looking for anything fancy - I don't need balanced, for instance - but I would be most grateful if I could be directed to a cable that will keep my MD+ much more securely connected. Thanks in advance!

Sep 12, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #844 of 877
Hi everyone,

Have any of you found replacement cables that solve the problem of the loose connectors? A couple of you recommended the replacement cable for the Shozy Hibiki (I'm not sure which one this is) as well as 64 Audio’s Professional Cable. @mwillis, you recommended the 64 Audio ones exactly (!) a year ago - have they worked out well for you?

I'm not looking for anything fancy - I don't need balanced, for instance - but I would be most grateful if I could be directed to a cable that will keep my MD+ much more securely connected. Thanks in advance!
Hey what a coincidence, a year ago to the day! I can still safely stand by the 64 Audio Professional Cable. It's what I've been using with my MD+ almost daily for (apparently!) over a year. I'd tried a few others before 64 Audio's and honestly nothing comes close to the look, feel and sound. I'd recommend it even more so now than a year prior for the simple fact that even after said year I still like it just as much! Plus you really can't beat the price.

EDIT: Also I'll say the problem with the loose connectors is nonexistent with this cable. With the stock cable one (or even both) of the IEM's would commonly come separated from the cable when taking them out of my bag or pocket (I even almost lost one on a flight before replacing the cable, which is what led me to look for alternatives), but that is not a problem at all with the 64 Audio cable.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #845 of 877
Hey what a coincidence, a year ago to the day! I can still safely stand by the 64 Audio Professional Cable. It's what I've been using with my MD+ almost daily for (apparently!) over a year. I'd tried a few others before 64 Audio's and honestly nothing comes close to the look, feel and sound. I'd recommend it even more so now than a year prior for the simple fact that even after said year I still like it just as much! Plus you really can't beat the price.

EDIT: Also I'll say the problem with the loose connectors is nonexistent with this cable. With the stock cable one (or even both) of the IEM's would commonly come separated from the cable when taking them out of my bag or pocket (I even almost lost one on a flight before replacing the cable, which is what led me to look for alternatives), but that is not a problem at all with the 64 Audio cable.

Thank you very much, @mwillis, I really appreciate the confirmation. Thank you also for taking the time to reply, and for doing so as quickly as you did - I just ordered the 64 Audio cable! I have a couple of trips coming up, which is why I was going through this thread last night (the timing really is funny). I wanted a better solution than simply wrapping tape around the shells and the cables. That had worked well enough for a while. But it wasn’t ideal, and I was still concerned about having more of those heart-stopping, stomach-sinking moments when one of the IEMs fell out. I didn’t have any success with inserting a thin piece of tape on the inside of the connector housing, as jsmiller58 recommended in the Drop discussion page. So this replacement cable should be perfect! Thank you again for your kind help mwillis, I’m most grateful. It’s great to hear that you’re still loving your MD+ a year on!

[edited to fix typos]

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #846 of 877

Hey dude, did u get the version with mic or without? If u did, how is the mic quality?

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #847 of 877
Reporting back on the TRN cable with mic. It's definitely worth the $5. My initial impression it's almost on par with the 64 Audio cable with mic and Null Ethos Plus, at less than 1/10th the price. Much better than Null Brevity.
Quick review:
Pluses
- No issues with microphonics or tangliness
- No reported issue with mic quality so far - I didn't have any issue with Null cable or 64 Audio's mic either, but I don't make calls in noisy places.
- I wish it didn't have memory wires but they fit the contours of my ears very well. Much more comfortable than the memory wire used by Campfire and Null.
- No notch on the 2-pin connectors but I managed to stuff them in - pretty tight fit which is a good thing.

Minuses:
- No 90deg 3.5mm connector but my phone has the jack at the bottom anyway.
- The Y split is quite low - almost at belly button level - Zeos would have liked this. No mechanism to bring up the split.
- When stretched out, the cable is not perfectly straight. It doesn't feel supple like a high-end cable would.

I'll be buying another as backup for sure.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #848 of 877
Hi everyone,

The Hibiki cable still works well for me -- nothing fancy, but functional and apparently durable. No issues w/connection looseness. However, I'm not sure if you can still buy these cables; they are no longer on Amazon, at least.

Sep 25, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #849 of 877
The Hibiki cable still works well for me -- nothing fancy, but functional and apparently durable. No issues w/connection looseness. However, I'm not sure if you can still buy these cables; they are no longer on Amazon, at least.
Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it. That it's no longer being sold on Amazon would explain my difficulty in identifying it, so this is good to know.

I've had the 64 Audio Professional Cable for a week and am very much impressed with it so far (thank you again for the recommendation @mwillis). The issue with the loose connectors had gotten to the point where I seldom took the MD+ with me when going out, which essentially defeated the point of having them in the first place. The new cable is a great improvement on the original one when it comes to this (and now I don't need to keep taping the IEMs to the cables).

Sep 25, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #850 of 877
Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it. That it's no longer being sold on Amazon would explain my difficulty in identifying it, so this is good to know.

I've had the 64 Audio Professional Cable for a week and am very much impressed with it so far (thank you again for the recommendation @mwillis). The issue with the loose connectors had gotten to the point where I seldom took the MD+ with me when going out, which essentially defeated the point of having them in the first place. The new cable is a great improvement on the original one when it comes to this (and now I don't need to keep taping the IEMs to the cables).
You're very welcome! I've become a big fan of theirs due to their quality and very fair price. Glad I was able to help make your MD+ experience just a little better :dt880smile:

Dec 3, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #851 of 877
Another chi-fi cable option is FDBRO 2pin cable with mic. I got it for $10 during the 11.11 AliExpress sale along with the FDBRO 8 core cable. Build quality is a little better than TRN. The three notable improvements are the volume up and down buttons, right-angle connector and notches in the connectors. Microphonics are a bit worse but tolerable.

Do NOT get the FDBRO 8-core cable however. Its 2-pin connectors' plastic portion is 2mm instead of the usual 3mm, making them very loose when put onto MD+ (and won't stay in iSine20 at all). I'm in contact with the seller (FDBRO official store) who will hopefully fix this design issue.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #852 of 877
Has anyone bitten the bullet on Drop's new 2.pin cable?
It looks like what they should have included in the first place. On top of that though, it doesn't look keyed, which either means it's a tight fit that won't come disconnect or the base that the pins go into is really narrow and it will be too loose to stay connected.
https://drop.com/buy/drop-2-pin-iem-cables

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #853 of 877
Update on FDBRO 8 core cable - I contacted the seller (FDBRO Official Store) about the connector issue and they offered to custom make a cable for me with the longer connectors and without memory wires. ****' 8 core (MMCX) cable is still better (thicker and more supple), but overall I'm pretty happy with the cable ($10) and FDBRO's customer service. You should contact them before you place your order to make sure you get the longer connectors.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #854 of 877
Slightly considering these, but seeing the last few pages where people are looking for replacement cables is discouraging...

May 31, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #855 of 877
Just noting two things I've done with my pair to improve my experience:
  1. I'm using medium JVC Spiral Dot tips after tip rolling for weeks. They were a bit pricey at $18 for three pairs, and I took a bit of a gamble with the sizing. Medium spiral dot is a little larger than the medium white stock tips, so I think M-S could have worked for me as well. These are pretty shallow like the standard tips, fit on the nozzle perfectly, and noticeably boost the higher frequencies which I felt were lacking, especially when I used foam tips.
  2. I bought a cheap custom spc 2-pin cable from penon audio for like $16. Took awhile to get to the states but it's so much better than the springy, sticky stock cable. Fits really well in the notched connector socket. No memory hooks on it but that makes it easier to store I guess.
These are essentially my broke-young-adult endgame. I wanted a fun but Etymotic-esque sound with good comfort, and these really delivered after some small additions. I can use them for monitoring my keyboard or listening to electronic music and for almost everything in between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back