Massdrop PLUS Universal IEM
Mar 8, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #211 of 877
got mine 2day.
tried few tips i have lying around.
to name a few: spinfits,Dunu wide bore tips and several Sennheiser style tips i've collected over the years.
the best for me are tips coming with the Samsung S8 AKG in ears. they are long soft and with wide opening the doesn't blow the ports of the +.

quick impressions from LG V30+ : sweat clear detailed mid range. sub bass punch is a tiddy bit added to sweeten the sound.
sound stage is not big but comfy for me.
compared to the Dunu dk3001: less bass but tighter on the +. mids are more in the front on the + compared to the 3001. on which the vocals are in back.
its like the 3001 tries to convey everything from 1K up as a sparkling treble. where the + does not make that mistake.
treble: due to above reason the 3001 have more treble but its not tastefully done compared to the +. but im not finding the + missing in any way. its just closer.

hope any of this makes sense. am smokin a bud while typing and enjoying my new babies :wink:

oh comfort and isolation..you forget about them and the outside world in milliseconds.

How’d you like them with the spinfits? I’ve been gathering everyone’s thoughts on it and getting mixed , which is no surprise.

Mar 9, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #213 of 877
Mar 9, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #215 of 877
Got my Massdrop IEMs today. They sound great. Good articulation on acoustic music and deep bass on hip hop. I’m using my Mojo right now. I’m going to try it direct from my iPhone (via headphone adapter for now) to see if they even need any amplification to sound good. Anyone with an iPhone and these IEMs and can give impressions?

Mar 9, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #216 of 877
Got mine yesterday. Great sound using the mojo. Deep insertion fit didn't work for me (killed my ears after 10 minutes of use) so I'm using the large double flange tips and now they are very comfortable.

Mar 9, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #218 of 877

Mine arrived today. I slapped on some SpinFit tips on them. And I can instantly tell I am going to love these IEMs. I've only had a chance to hear ~10 songs with them, but the first thing that popped up at me was noticeable improvement on the sound stage and a very natural monitor quality sound signature. Cable and fit is perfect, no pneumatic pressure even with sub bass heavy songs (Philter - As The Night Calls Her). Build quality feels solid. Accessory package includes a nice hard pelican case. I only listened to them on my Schiit Stack with Magni 2 Uber set to low gain.

Attachments

• P3090042.jpg
    P3090042.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #221 of 877
So far does it live up to it's hype? I don't really have a neutral iem but I want something neutral plus some bass slam. Will it disappoint me?
They do live up to the hype. If you want neutral plus some bass slam, the MD+ is the IEM for you.

Mar 10, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #222 of 877
Awesome thanks for the tip.

https://www.null-audio.com/products/brevity-s-5n-occ-copper-earphone-cable

Select Westons/Noble/JH model. That’s what’s recommended in the massdrop discussion.

Thanks.

I have had Noble cables and I chew through them in less than 2 months. It's not very economical for daily use, for me anyway. YMMV.

Has anybody found compatible 2pin replacement cables w/ mic (Android) that are more in the ballpark like this:

Newest KZ ZS3/ZS5/ZS6 Dedicated Cable 0.75mm 2-Pin Upgraded Cable Replace Cable Upgrade Cable Ues For KZ ZS3/ZS5/ZS6 With MIC $4.93 USD
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...0.html?spm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.262.7Dz9Vx

I'm not sure that model fits, that's why I'm asking.

I don't even know what is the exact cable connector name the Massdrop Plus Universal has?. Just saying 2pin doesn't really narrow it down enough as there are flushed, non-flushed, one's with a notch, others without, etc.

Anybody know any other mic cable alternatives?

I can't for the life of me find them on AliExpress, although there are plenty of MMCX versions and un-terminated ones. Of course I could solder the connectors myself (if I found them), but for the price that MMCX versions are going, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Mar 10, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #223 of 877
Thanks.

I have had Noble cables and I chew through them in less than 2 months. It's not very economical for daily use, for me anyway. YMMV.

Has anybody found compatible 2pin replacement cables w/ mic (Android) that are more in the ballpark like this:

Newest KZ ZS3/ZS5/ZS6 Dedicated Cable 0.75mm 2-Pin Upgraded Cable Replace Cable Upgrade Cable Ues For KZ ZS3/ZS5/ZS6 With MIC $4.93 USD
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...0.html?spm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.262.7Dz9Vx

I'm not sure that model fits, that's why I'm asking.

I don't even know what is the exact cable connector name the Massdrop Plus Universal has?. Just saying 2pin doesn't really narrow it down enough as there are flushed, non-flushed, one's with a notch, others without, etc.

Anybody know any other mic cable alternatives?

I can't for the life of me find them on AliExpress, although there are plenty of MMCX versions and un-terminated ones. Of course I could solder the connectors myself (if I found them), but for the price that MMCX versions are going, it doesn't make a lot of sense.
Have a look at the discussion thread over at massdrop. They might have some answers.

Mar 11, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #224 of 877
I read earlier that these were a regular drop. I assume they're out of initial stock already, as the page is only open for requesting now?

I'll have to wait :) been looking for what is literally the MD+'s tagline is: "Reference Sound, Plus Elevated Bass" for a bit now, currently enjoying the inexpensive RE-00s that replaced my ancient RE-0s, but I often find myself flicking the bass boost switch on the Oppo HA-2SE.

I've never quite splurged on IEMs, after all...

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #225 of 877
So far does it live up to it's hype? I don't really have a neutral iem but I want something neutral plus some bass slam. Will it disappoint me?

It's merely a solid IEM at a fair price, will be for some people and not for others- it doesn't lay golden eggs of auditory bliss or anything :expressionless:.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back