Massdrop PLUS Universal IEM
Oct 9, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #16 of 877
Some of my fav earphones right now: the Audio Technica LS200, Radius Wn4, Sony N3, Final Heaven VII, UERM, Noble K10, FitEars .....and yeah, the Massdrop Plus! Of all the earphones I mentioned, the Plus reminds me the most of the UERM, so I definitely want to take some time to compare the two closely. For example the highs are a bit different.

If I had to describe my “ideal” sound signature, I’d say neutral leaning but with some added warmth. Or maybe “ever so slightly on the dark side of neutral.” For example Grado headphones are usually too bright for me, even tho I like the way they look.

With the comparisons focusing on Ety and UERM, safe to assume bass is enhanced (or at least more tangibly extended than ety) but not exactly in N3 region? I really like how N3 rides the line between bombast and control.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #17 of 877
Just received my pair so I can't give a definitive look yet but can offer some brief impressions.

Fit is amazing. Like, one of the best I've had in a universal. The Plus fits flat in my ear, and very comfortable at that.

Don't want to talk too much about the sound yet but if I have to summarize it the Plus has sweet mids, a rumbling bottom end and a satisfying treble to round it all up.

Oct 9, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #18 of 877
Just received my pair so I can't give a definitive look yet but can offer some brief impressions.

Fit is amazing. Like, one of the best I've had in a universal. The Plus fits flat in my ear, and very comfortable at that.

Don't want to talk too much about the sound yet but if I have to summarize it the Plus has sweet mids, a rumbling bottom end and a satisfying treble to round it all up.
Just wondering how does this compare to FitEar ? I hope the mids are not recessed

Oct 9, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #19 of 877
Just wondering how does this compare to FitEar ? I hope the mids are not recessed

I'm only familiar to a few models, and I don't own them so take my comparison with that in mind.

The mids aren't recessed at all, for me it's slightly off neutral, leaning towards a little forwardness. For now, it seems similar to the one I found on the UERR, but I haven't done a head to head comparison.

FYI, I prefer the 333 over the 334/335. In terms of Plus vs 333, the mids are perhaps richer with the 333 but the sub bass is more on the Plus. Don't forget the price difference between the two, I would say the Plus wins on that hands down.

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #20 of 877
I'm only familiar to a few models, and I don't own them so take my comparison with that in mind.

The mids aren't recessed at all, for me it's slightly off neutral, leaning towards a little forwardness. For now, it seems similar to the one I found on the UERR, but I haven't done a head to head comparison.

FYI, I prefer the 333 over the 334/335. In terms of Plus vs 333, the mids are perhaps richer with the 333 but the sub bass is more on the Plus. Don't forget the price difference between the two, I would say the Plus wins on that hands down.
If one wants to know the sound sig, which model should one go and listen?

Oct 10, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #21 of 877
If one wants to know the sound sig, which model should one go and listen?
Since the idea for this piece is a UERM or a ER4SR, with additional few db of flat sub bass, then I guess you could try those to have an idea.

In terms of units that I own myself, feels close to UERR, and yes with some subbass on it.

But to be honest, I find myself hard to compare to one unit as theres not many options that go so close to neutral with an ample amount of subbass. Or at least it still hasn't crossed my mind.

I'll be coming out with a review in the coming weeks so I'll be able to give a better picture then.

Oct 10, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #22 of 877
Since the idea for this piece is a UERM or a ER4SR, with additional few db of flat sub bass, then I guess you could try those to have an idea.

In terms of units that I own myself, feels close to UERR, and yes with some subbass on it.

But to be honest, I find myself hard to compare to one unit as theres not many options that go so close to neutral with an ample amount of subbass. Or at least it still hasn't crossed my mind.

I'll be coming out with a review in the coming weeks so I'll be able to give a better picture then.
Probably I go and try UERR before I commit to Massdrop then.

Oct 10, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #24 of 877
These sound like my perfect IEM. Lol and I just got the Pinnacle PX, which I like quite a bit but I want a touch more bass and slightly better/more natural timbre.

Oct 10, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #28 of 877
Oct 10, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #29 of 877
I'm interested in these. For those who have tried them, how deep is the fit? My ear canals don't go well with shallow fitting IEMs. Thanks

It's not as shallow as say the Andromeda. It's about Shure or Westone depth, maybe a hair deeper. I like to use Mee Audio dual flange with it.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #30 of 877
I'm reposting my mini review here form somewhere else. It was originally posted the day of the announcement:

Today Massdrop is announcing their own branded iem, designed and tuned from the ground up. It’s a triple Sonion armature universal with custom-like fit, for only $299.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-plus-universal-iems

AI7B4502_copy_page_20171002112942.jpg

The Massdrop Plus tuning approach reminds me a little of what Sead Smailagic of Sony was trying to achieve with their MH1 and MH1C dynamic driver iems. The basic approach is a diffuse field accurate iem with a healthy deep bass boost. The problem with the Sony is that they boosted the bass entirely too much, with approximately 12 db’s of bass centered around 50 or 60 hz, it could certainly use some taming. The Sony also suffered from poor quality control and some samples exhibited over 20 db’s of bass boost!

Luckily Massdrop seems to have found the sweet spot. I’m guessing the Plus bass boost is around 7db’s, give or take and centered just a little higher. The result is an iem approaching neutral that should appeal to a broader base of users. The bass boost is extremely pleasing, adding a hint of fun without sliding into indulgent overload.

Frankly it’s pretty amazing. Clarity is through the roof fantastic! It makes just about everything else at my disposal sound like there are differing degrees/layers of veil yet to be removed. However, the Plus stays harshness and hardness free, particularly with Mee Audio dual flanges, which give me a bit deeper fit and a hair smoother top end.

Speaking of fit, it’s superb. The shell shape is form fitting and flat to the ear. Nothing sticks out. These rival the fit of Westone universal shells I like so much, and the wider nozzle allows for many more tip rolling options than the narrow nozzle Westones. My understanding is the shape comes from nearly 3 decades of custom ear plug and hearing aid manufacturing; all those custom fits average into one. I really do love the fit of the Plus.

Is it worth $299? Absolutely. This iem holds it own and doesn’t give up much to TOTL offerings. The Plus is easily the best iem under $600 or so on the market today. I love they way it pairs with the Lotoo Paw 5000. This combo is pretty hard to beat and probably impossible in this price bracket. Needless to say the Plus is going on my list.

Comparisons

vs Massdrop/Noble X

Where the X has a general bass boost across the spectrum, the Plus is focused in deep bass, which helps makes the lower midrange sound much clearer. Both have similar bass texturing but the Plus bass is noticeably cleaner.

The X vocals sound much warmer than the Plus. Upon switching, it’s like a veil has been lifted. There’s more energy and detail, producing a much clearer window into the performance. The Plus also sounds brighter and crisper overall, though never harsh. The X top end is much more laid back and sounds softer, darker. The Plus is overall much clearer and much more transparent. The Noble X’s downward sloping signature sounds much warmer and has a slight veil in direct comparison.

The X produces a much more intimate presentation, even if vocals are place further back than the Plus. The Plus sounds wider left to right, with more air and space between instruments. Depth is negligible between the two.

vs Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor

The Plus has a noticeable boost in bass over the UERM with a stronger focus in deeper bass that lingers a little longer as well. The UERM definitely sounds leaner right after switching. Kick drums are more forward and palpable with the Plus. While the UERM sounds more linear in the bass, the difference in extension is noticeable with the Plus.

The Plus rivals the UERM for female vocal reproduction. In fact the Plus sounds a bit more forward and more lively with female vocals in comparison. The same follows with male vocals, the Plus sounds more forward, more energetic, though the slight difference seems to give the UERM a more noticeable depth to vocals and the midrange in general.

While the Plus sounds a touch clearer, due to more forward upper mids, the UERM is brighter in treble, particularly in middle treble. Top end details are easier to pick out with the UERM and there is just more of a sense of air.

Overall the UERM sounds a bit more spacious, layered and airier. In contrast the Plus sounds more forward, clearer and energetic. It grabs you, demanding your engagement.

vs Campfire Audio Andromeda

Both sound very lively and clear with similar bass levels. Actually the bass sounds really similar, with a similar deep bass boost. Perhaps Andromeda’s boost is a hair deeper and hair bigger at 1ohm OI. Andromeda also seems to have longer decay, for a bass sounds a little more natural in direct comparison. The Plus bass is a little denser sounding, restricting texturing in direct comparison.

Male and female vocals have similar weight and richness, with the Plus sounding closer in distance with both, particularly with female vocals. Both models have excellent distortion rock guitar crunch and bite; definitely two of the better iems on the market in this regard. Again the guitars sound a good bit closer to the listener with the Plus.

The biggest difference between the two is in treble. Andromeda is overall brighter with more sparkle and air. I also think the spoutless armatures produce a more lifelike decay than normally aspirated armatures. In this regard, Andromeda’s going to put top end resolution more up front and easier to hear. Low level micro dynamics and decay are just easier to hear and separate.

While there are many similarities, Andromeda still sounds airer, more spacious overall with greater micro dynamics and resolution. The distance Andromeda gives up in the middle helps to create a deeper and larger stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back